Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

A confession about a popular indie game.

Recommended Posts

I don't like Undertale. It's just not too good, and the game encourages you to play Pacifist too much, because Genocide is the actual fun part of the game. I don't know, maybe if it focused less on Pacifist and more on the other types of endings then maybe I would've liked it. I kinda like the little obscure secrets that don't make sense (grey room with the Wingdings fella and the glitchy audio files revealing messages that then get patched to hide them), but it just isn't my taste. And also, every fight feels like a breeze (except muffet, which is weird because I don't usually have problems with spiders in video games), even Photoshop Flowey, which I did in one try. I do like most of the mechanics, and it would be interesting if there were actual mods for the game rather than a congested bunch of "alternate universes". Am I wrong or something?

 

P.S, no I am not going to mention the Hellspawn Fandom, I'd need a couple of Rad-X's for that mission.

Share this post


Link to post

I think Undertale is a game for certain people, and not for other people, and that's ok. If you are one of the people Undertale was made for, it makes you incredibly happy.

 

I am not an Undertale person. I am not a jrpg person. I liked Chrono Trigger, but I play videogames to be creative, so I don't want storytelling in a game. I'm a Doom player, for example.

 

My favorite RPG's are Fallout 1 and Daggerfall, and lately I'm very into an obscure SSI game from 1987 called Wizard's Crown which is 0% story 100% grinding/combat. I want to make my own story in a game. Sounds like you're a Fallout fan too.

 

My wife's all-time favorite game is Earthbound, and I played a bit of Undertale with her. I get it. I appreciate it. It's just not what I'm looking for. 

Edited by Aaron Blain

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Aaron Blain said:

I think Undertale is a game for certain people, and not for other people, and that's ok. If you are one of the people Undertale was made for, it makes you incredibly happy.

 

I am not an Undertale person. I am not a jrpg person. I liked Chrono Trigger, but I play videogames to be creative, so I don't want storytelling in a game. I'm a Doom player, for example.

 

My favorite RPG's are Fallout 1 and Daggerfall, and lately I'm very into an obscure SSI game from 1997 called Wizard's Crown which is 0% story 100% grinding/combat. I want to make my own story in a game. Sounds like you're a Fallout fan too.

 

My wife's all-time favorite game is Earthbound, and I played a bit of Undertale with her. I get it. I appreciate it. It's just not what I'm looking for. 

Yeah, I like Fallout games, especially 2 and New Vegas, and I like modding.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

Am I wrong or something?

 

You're wrong. Undertale was easily my favorite game of the decade until I played through Dark Souls. Undertale deserves all of the praise that people heap onto it and then some. It is a masterpiece in every way possible and an exemplar of video games as art. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Ajora said:

 

You're wrong. Undertale was easily my favorite game of the decade until I played through Dark Souls. Undertale deserves all of the praise that people heap onto it and then some.

I don't think it does, and I think my answer was obviously a no, now that I think of it. Undertale just needed more polish and more gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think it needs more polish or gameplay, and I don't think the praise it gets is unwarranted. It's perfect the way it is, and it's a singular creative work. It just doesn't interest me.

Share this post


Link to post

It sounds like you're not a fan of the style, which is OK. I don't know what "more polish" means because the game is extremely well-done and doesn't bug out, and "more gameplay"...I don't know what that means. I can't think of anything Toby Fox could add that wouldn't kill the pacing or impact something else negatively. 

Share this post


Link to post

As @Aaron Blain said, its a game targeted to an specific part of the gaming world.
I love all Earthbound games, some hacks like Hallows Eve, Hyperbound, RebEarth, Unearthed, etc. and games inspired by it like Citizen of Earth and YIIK: A Posmodernist RPG.

But i can't get into Undertale at all.
For me, it tries too hard to be lovable and charming.

Too measured to make the player feel specific feelings.
I don't have any problem with the game, but simply i don't find it as good as the named games.
And i feel strage that i couldn't find it entertaining since i like THAT kind of games a lot, so i don't know what could be taking me away from it.

Share this post


Link to post

For me, even Genocide is very boring. Because it's about "grinding" the low-level monsters. Imagine if you play old-school JRPG, but to have ability to fight with boss you need kill at least 60-100 monsters. So you just walk around, get in fights just for pressing some buttons, then again, and again...

And that's just for 2 new bosses, while every other isn't functuonal, because Toriel dying, Papyrus dying, Muffet dying... And Mettaton NEO don't work as boss anyway, so yeah, just 2 bosses.

And Sans not hard at all. You easily can remember his attacks. It's just about memory.

 

I prefer OFF more. It much more realistic with idea of heroes and anti-heroes, and it came out in 2009 already (or 2008, I don't know accurate), and whole design is cooler.

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

But i can't get into Undertale at all.
For me, it tries too hard to be lovable and charming.

Too measured to make the player feel specific feelings.

This is the same reason I don't like the game. It feels emotionally manipulative rather than feeling genuine. I'm not a fan of the writing in general, or the "awwwwh look how cute this is uwu" character design. This is besides the fact that I find the gameplay to be a total bore. If we're being honest, sometimes the writing comes close to making me cringe.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

This is the same reason I don't like the game. It feels emotionally manipulative rather than feeling genuine. I'm not a fan of the writing in general, or the "awwwwh look how cute this is uwu" character design. This is besides the fact that I find the gameplay to be a total bore.

What its interesting is that the game, even when you know that its trying too hard, its gets you.

Its quircky and manipulative, but people love it. And not only people, gamers from a lot of different ages appreciate it.
And thats something to applaud i think.
Making people that never played a game before, play this game and FEEL IT, even when it carries you by the hand, its a merit, somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

This is the same reason I don't like the game. It feels emotionally manipulative rather than feeling genuine. I'm not a fan of the writing in general, or the "awwwwh look how cute this is uwu" character design. This is besides the fact that I find the gameplay to be a total bore. If we're being honest, sometimes the writing comes close to making me cringe.

Yeah, it just tries too hard to be heart-touching, and it ends up poking me in the eyes, just my experience though.

Share this post


Link to post

Used to really love this game, then this video altered my opinions on it. Maybe you should give it a watch.

 

I think the problem with Undertale is it's not worth playing through twice. Toby has indeed put a lot of effort into worldbuilding and characters, but all of that is mostly just leading up to teaching you morality lessons. The issue with tedious grinding down the Genocide path could be another way to stop you from killing everyone, or "people dead bad".

There could be modding/or at least battle hacks truly exist and fully playable by others, but it's a mess.

 

...And for what's worth the game's soundtrack is really good. They accommodate the battles well despite most being remixed based on leitmotifs.  

Share this post


Link to post

I feel the same way to be honest. I'm not an RPG guy in general, the only one I actually do like (If you can even consider it a proper RPG) is Fallout New Vegas. 
I can see why people like Undertale, and I applaud Toby Fox's work on the game, it's just not my style.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, GraphicBleeder said:

I feel the same way to be honest. I'm not an RPG guy in general, the only one I actually do like (If you can even consider it a proper RPG) is Fallout New Vegas. 
I can see why people like Undertale, and I applaud Toby Fox's work on the game, it's just not my style.

Try Fallout 2, it's better than Fallout 1 and is incredibly well written, sharing most of it's qualities with Fallout: New Vegas. It's also 2D.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

and it would be interesting if there were actual mods for the game rather than a congested bunch of "alternate universes". Am I wrong or something?

There are many Undertale mods out there, you got Colored sprite mod and a mod were it's just dank memes (that will probably make you laugh, not sure what's the mod called) and a mod filled with Silvagunner rips.

Otherwise i'm not gonna give my full impressions about Undertale, it's both very good and very bad.

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed playing through Undertale once but I have no intention of ever replaying through it. The fun is in the meta aspect, like how the NPCs react if you load a savegame or give them different answers. Also some of the surprises moves it pulls on you. But that's it. And once the surprise is gone, there's no point going through it again.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Nah, got bored, but it was kinda fun.

So you don't really have a position to say it's boring because it's way harder than Pacifist. I don't know why people has this type of assumption that Pacifist is harder, but that's not the case.

 

Anyway, not liking something is fine, but the way you don't look at the game in a whole and question why others are liking it is not nice.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, GarrettChan said:

So you don't really have a position to say it's boring because it's way harder than Pacifist.

 

Anyway, not liking something is fine, but the way you don't look at the game in a whole and question why others are liking it is not nice.

I have a reason to, it's praised highly for story that gets repetitive after playing for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

I have a reason to, it's praised highly for story that gets repetitive after playing for a while.

It's not the same story, and almost everything is different.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AtticTelephone said:

Try Fallout 2, it's better than Fallout 1 and is incredibly well written, sharing most of it's qualities with Fallout: New Vegas. It's also 2D.

I will man, is it on Steam? If so, how much?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, GraphicBleeder said:

I will man, is it on Steam? If so, how much?

It's like, 6$ or 5$ on Steam, and it comes with the SFall patch, which fixes a LOT.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, AtticTelephone said:

It's like, 6$ or 5$ on Steam, and it comes with the SFall patch, which fixes a LOT.

Alright.

 

I'm looking at this review, does this change the game in any major way?

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, GraphicBleeder said:

Alright.

 

I'm looking at this review, does this change the game in any major way?

image.png

Well, I don't really know, so if you aren't sure, use another platform.

Share this post


Link to post

It's one of those games I always wanted to try to see what the fuss surounding it was all about, but never got around to it.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×