Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mike_C

E1M1 into DOOM64 EX translation

I recently made this map as an excersize to get to grips with Doom 64 Builder. Basically I openend E1M1 in Doombuilder to measure the lines and drew them by hand in D64builder , so the scale is the same as well as the thing placements. Sector heights were adjusted to match the different scale and a couple of small tweaks were made but it is pretty much a 1:1 recreation.

///SCREENSHOTS:

Spoiler

screenshot3.png.e4b359d64394fde5ef25f674cf60ef5a.png

screenshot2.png.8442777997f8bc0b685dfd3bb9022c8d.png

screenshot.png.423b74a35065ffea05fe3953638607ab.png

///DOWNLOAD:

MCD64E1M1.zip

On 11/22/2020 at 4:07 AM, Wilster_Wonkels said:

It'd be interesting to do this with more levels.

I might "translate" more maps if enough people show interest. They do take some time to make but it's a pretty straight forward process for me so I'm not oppossed to the idea.

On 11/24/2020 at 4:36 AM, Immorpher said:

Had a good time with it! Nice seeing E1M1 with the colored gradients :D 

Pretty nice playthrough Immorpher! glad you found all the secrets. Thanks for the vid!

12 minutes ago, Mike_C said:

I might "translate" more maps if enough people show interest. They do take some time to make but it's a pretty straight forward process for me so I'm not oppossed to the idea.

I love Doom 64's atmosphere, and Doom 1's level design is also great. I'm working on my own wad right now, and really don't know to make Doom 64 maps, but if I had the time I might give it a shot.

On 11/9/2020 at 1:54 PM, Immorpher said:

E1M1 always a fun quick romp!

Depending on who did what to it. nawsayin?

17 hours ago, Mike_C said:

You know I would have fun with them! Z0k did a conversion of the first episode, but its more of a remix as he added geometry and other new things.

One thing that Z0k didn't do was mix in some of the enemies from Doom 2. Doom on the Playstation put Doom 2 enemies in Doom 1 maps. So that might give your translations a unique flair. (sans chaingunners, archviles, and revenants)

17 hours ago, Wilster_Wonkels said:

I love Doom 64's atmosphere, and Doom 1's level design is also great. I'm working on my own wad right now, and really don't know to make Doom 64 maps, but if I had the time I might give it a shot.

If you decide to take the plunge, I know of people and a place which can help you out. :)

I actually planned on doing this myself once we're able to mod levels back into the ROM/GEC releases a toolchain for it.

"Doom The Way Doom 64 Would've."

10 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

I actually planned on doing this myself once we're able to mod levels back into the ROM/GEC releases a toolchain for it.

"Doom The Way Doom 64 Would've."

Oh that will be awesome! I have plans on getting my XP computer up and running again so I can check out the Doom 64 RE code. I imagine the Doom 1 levels would run nicely on the N64 since that port was primarily based around the hardware rendering.

6 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Oh that will be awesome! I have plans on getting my XP computer up and running again so I can check out the Doom 64 RE code. I imagine the Doom 1 levels would run nicely on the N64 since that port was primarily based around the hardware rendering.

They should; AFAIK I should be able to convert the PC maps more or less straight, in terms of geometry complexity. Obviously decorations and such would have to change, though.

And of course, I'd be remiss to not take advantage of the Macro systems to spice up the levels some.

But yeah... for that I need a toolchain, and an expanded ROM for sure. Especially if I'm going to try to fit in the GEC Master Edition levels. :P

On 11/26/2020 at 5:03 AM, Mike_C said:

It would be fun to create a mini-episode which is a little mix of the best and most iconic Doom 1 maps getting the Doom 64 treatment.

After the faithful E1M1, I propose a faithful E1M3 and then a slightly remixed E1M8 to make it a more challenging boss stage. And that's it with the first episode's maps.

E1M3 is one of the most popular and iconic maps.