Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aurelius

Ar Luminae: a vibrant UDMF behemoth - big update, most likely the Final version!

7 minutes ago, ENEMY!!! said:

Drooling over this, but I'm getting no HUD, is that intentional?

The map starts with no gun and no hud. The hud will appear once you find the gun, which shouldn't take too long :)

3 minutes ago, ENEMY!!! said:

The HUD isn't appearing for me after I find guns either.

If you're using GZDoom 4.5.0, make sure you have screen size set to 11 in Scaling Options. I think in older versions it's in Display Options?

37 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

If you're using GZDoom 4.5.0, make sure you have screen size set to 11 in Scaling Options. I think in older versions it's in Display Options?

Yeah thanks, it works now - for some reason it had defaulted to 10!

Looks nice but unfortunately I can't play it due to performance reasons, switching to the Vulkan render helped a little but the first combat encounter destroyed my frames.

Oh boy.

When I playtested this map it took me around the two hour mark, now you're telling me it tripled itself in size? Yeesh.

Congrats on the release! Map's been looking fantastic and I don't expect the quality to drop. Will give this updated version a go sometime soon, hopefully!

Heya, so I'm an hour and a half into this thing and I have no idea how to lower the purple skull pillar, I can't for the life of me figure out how to lower the thing, I assume the teleporter is there, like with the green skull pillar, to lead me to a switch that gives me access to that area, but I can't find a switch after the teleporter.

The screenshots are stunning, but they don't even begin to scratch the surface. This map is a pure odyssey. Every inch is filled with detail, and every moment is overflowing with passion and creativity. It's a long journey (especially if you pick UV and you're not ready for the heat...), but, the use of Supercharge is basically perfect, the custom weapons are addictively fun to use, and Aurelius and Kaito have outdone themselves in ways that hurt my brain to think about. Don't miss this one.

Updating to gzdoom 4.5.0 made a massive difference for my framerate, so if your computer can handle it, definitely use it. 

Congratulations on the release, you two. 

Thank you everyone for the kind words! The performance can take a hit with lower end computers, which is a bummer. So like RJD said, make sure you are using GZDoom 4.5.0 which makes a huge difference! I will take another look at improving performance, but unfortunately the map is so open at times that it becomes very challenging.

2 hours ago, guitardz said:

Would this be compatible with the latest LZDoom for performance purposes?

I tested it once with LZDoom some weeks ago, and it lagged quite badly. So that's unfortunately not a viable option :( You could give it a try, but I think the result will be the same.

43 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

Heya, so I'm an hour and a half into this thing and I have no idea how to lower the purple skull pillar, I can't for the life of me figure out how to lower the thing, I assume the teleporter is there, like with the green skull pillar, to lead me to a switch that gives me access to that area, but I can't find a switch after the teleporter.

If I understand you correctly: 

Spoiler

The armory has two switches for both the green and pink cards, and each release a high tier weapon. When this weapon is picked up, a "switch" activates in front of you that raises some very noticeable platforms near the areas your originally used to teleport to the ship, and those lead you two switches that open progression. So make sure you've picked up the new weapon from the armory!

If it's not that then you could post a screenshot of exactly what pillar you mean. And also the difficulty you're playing on so I can check any possible flag problems. It's pretty rad that you're that far into the map after just an hour and a half!

@Aurelius

Spoiler

image.png.ac402d60f54cb7d1216506dfb81f0540.png

Starting to think I may have missed a pick up or something, I can't access the armory yet because I don't have the pink keycard, if that's the case, mind pointing me towards it? Sorry for being a bother, really enjoying the map so far. 

1 minute ago, Egg Boy said:

Starting to think I may have missed a pick up or something, I can't access the armory yet because I don't have the pink keycard, if that's the case, mind pointing me towards it? Sorry for being a bother, really enjoying the map so far. 

There's a route in that are that takes you to the teleporter on the other side in the dark cave, which leads back to the ship. If you go past the skull pillar there are steps that take you up and you can use some trivial platforming there to find your way to the other side. Glad you're enjoying it so far, I hope you'll like it to the end!

The mandatory RC1 blunder has now been recorded. The pink card key that @Egg Boy is referring to is actually flagged only for skill levels 3 and upwards. I've provided a fixed version (same download link). So for players playing it in HNTR already, once you get to this particular spot

Spoiler

pinkproblem.png

please type

give aureliuspinkcard

in the console to give yourself the item. My apologies for this, I was afraid something like this might occur due to the sheer size and amount of content in the map.

Played an hour or so of this, brief first impressions below.

I was initially worried that I wouldn't be able to run this, but I was pleased to find out that the framerate is quite playable throughout. I have nothing but good things to say about the visuals - even though there's a fairly wide selection of different themes at display, they all blend together perfectly. Gameplay is a firm challenge even on HNTR but still quite fair, with fun combat scenarios. There's also a sense of adventure to the map that almost feels like something out of a mid-to-late 90s collectathon platformer, especially with the few brief platforming sections, which I absolutely love.

Looking forward to playing more of this! c:

Spoiler

PS. Also, that sequence as you obtain the red skull key was gorgeous as fuck. I legit almost blew a load seeing it.

@Aurelius just tooked a peek to it...and boy oh boy do we have something here! Congratulations for the release and surely ill give it a try in the future! Promising! 

I just can't get responsive controls for this, and for that I primarily blame GZDoom. I'm getting about 20fps, which for me would be perfectly playable, I'm no framerate snob, but GZDoom has always had this crappy, floaty, never-quite-where-I-want-to-aim mouse control for me and the choppy framerate is just exacerbating the issue. I always use Zandronum for newschool stuff, but sadly it's just too old to run this (as outlined..)

Since it might be a helpful report, grabbing the pistol didn't bring the HUD up on my end. Not sure why, maybe it has to do with using the classic HUD or something?

Despite not really being playable, I still had a look around and these maps are very gorgeous. I'll admit - I think the hub area is a bit of an assault of colors.. but I explored several of the actual playable map areas and they're stunningly immaculate!

My graphics card is by far the weak link of my PC, an old "spare tire" nvidia quatro from 2007, in a 2016 PC with otherwise newish parts. Usually it's no problem, but I think I'll finally have to replace it before I can enjoy this as intended.

10 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Thank you everyone for the kind words! The performance can take a hit with lower end computers, which is a bummer. So like RJD said, make sure you are using GZDoom 4.5.0 which makes a huge difference!

Can you clarify what's your  framerate and your pc specs? I always have the impression different people have different standards.

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I just can't get responsive controls for this, and for that I primarily blame GZDoom. I'm getting about 20fps, which for me would be perfectly playable, I'm no framerate snob, but GZDoom has always had this crappy, floaty, never-quite-where-I-want-to-aim mouse control for me and the choppy framerate is just exacerbating the issue. I always use Zandronum for newschool stuff, but sadly it's just too old to run this as outlined..

If possible, use GZDoom 4.5.0. Older versions can definitely have issues with framerates, especially with lower end hardware. You can try setting the VFX to 1 in Supercharge options and disabling dynamic lights (or tweak some other settings like FXAA or ambient occlusion) but if all that is done with no improvement, then there's unfortunately nothing much that can be done :/ I might try to get Zandronum support back, but I think that it didn't run too much better.

6 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Since it might be a helpful report, grabbing the pistol didn't bring the HUD up on my end. Not sure why, maybe it has to do with using the classic HUD or something?

You can toggle between screen sizes, it should show up at 11.

1 minute ago, Turin Turambar said:

Can you clarify what's your  framerate and your pc specs? I always have the impression different people have different standards.

I should've clarified to use it if at all possible, but I understand not everyone is equipped with a very powerful PC. I've tested with GZDoom versions up from 4.1.3 and all the ones I did worked around 30 to 40 fps, while 4.5.0 had 15 or so frames more on average. I do have an above average GPU.

But like I said, it's an intensive map. I can try to fix some of the more glaring issues in the most intensive areas, but if the overall framerate is really bad even after tweaking settings, and the latest GZDoom does not run, then there's not much I can do :/

So around 50 fps? I'm around 50 fps but it falls to 33 fps sometimes. Which I consider pretty bad.  I'm accustomed to play at 90fps in other wads...

What's your cpu? It seems more important in GZDoom than the GPU, which usually is almost idle running the game.

Edited by Turin Turambar

18 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Get rid of the godawful menu scaling by going to Options -> Full options menu -> Miscellaneous Options -> Disable Menu Clean Scaling -> ON. This could be enforced in MENUDEF, but would break compat with every older GZDoom port (of course).

This garbage has affected my work too. I have no idea why it's not disabled by default, because despite what Graf thinks, it does ruin the intended look of custom menus. Sad to hear that it breaks older versions. Now I get to watch and hear about tons of people playing my work with a screwed up menu, as I'm sure you will as well because people don't read instructions.

But on topic, the map looks incredible. I doubt my PC could run it smoothly though.

3 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

So around 50 fps? I'm around 55 fps but it falls to 35 fps sometimes. Which I consider pretty bad.  I'm accustomed to play at 90fps in other wads...

What's your cpu? It seems more important in GZDoom than the GPU, which usually is almost idle running the game.

I'm not that knowledgeable to what exactly contributes most to GZDoom performance when it comes to hardware. I'm running a 5 year old CPU, i7-4790K, which is somewhat good even today as I understand it. 90fps is definitely not something to expect from this map, or from large and complex UDMF maps in general. As I understand it, detailed geometry in Doom is not the most efficient thing to render, and using models instead would be much more beneficial. But converting geometry to models in a map of this size would take way much more time than I want to spend, unfortunately.

I am sorry if the framerate is below your standard, but at this point I can't really help you with that. I would prefer not to turn this into a hardware discussion, and rather focus on questions and feedback on the map itself.

My impressions so far are good , but the difficulty has some harsh spikes (playing on HMP), in the constrained arenas that you use sometimes, like this one:

uzATJru.jpg

Between the Mancobus, skellies, the columns, the mines of the Diabolist, the CD firing rockets...very little space to move. Other fights felt purely RNG-depedent, like one in a even smaller area where you have a group of skellies in front of you, and a group of knights and a CD in a column behind, as while you fire at one side the other may hit you from behind.

I think Remnant had a better adjusted difficulty.

The flow is ok-ish, in one place that I had to activate four switches to activate a teleporter I got stuck with one of them but after 3 minutes of wandering around I found it. I'm again stuck, this time in the big door that needs the yellow skull, I'm not sure where it is.edit : oh look, I found a door that I could open with the blue skull! I guess I have to go through this area...