Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

dsda-doom source port [v0.24.3]

The game logic isn't running faster than 35 fps, but the rendering logic is. It interpolates the motion - if you are getting 2k fps, then it projects the positions of everything based on where you are "in between" the game engine frames. I assume it spends way more time rendering than it does on the game engine if you play uncapped (except for maps with huge amounts of monsters). It's possible the interpolation code is somehow to blame, or that introducing a framerate cap would fix spikes. I'll look into those things eventually.

This might sound goofy but a work around could be enabling vsync if it doesn't kill your performance in it's own right.  While not a performance issue I noticed Crispy Doom on widescreen likes to wobble/warp with an uncapped rate but vsync locking it in made it look fine.  That said I don't imagine vsync actually caps the rendering rate like kraf is talking about? Might be worth a try in the meantime.

I've used RivaTuner previously to cap GLBoom+ FPS to 200. It was giving me issues with a couple other applications and eventually stopped working, but worth a try. Vsync hasn't felt good for me in any FPS games and 35FPS feels too choppy. 

Should i turn on carry fractional tics? It is better?

Edit: Mmm, i think it has less input lag.

Edited by JuanchoES

"Carry fractional tics" changes how small mouse movements are handled when using -shorttics or recording a demo. With it off, small mouse movements are dropped if they are not large enough to turn the player a full turn increment (i.e. 1/256 of a full 360-degree spin). With it on, those "fractional tics" are carried over to future frames so they aren't lost even if they don't immediately result in rotation.

You can see the effect of this if you move your mouse to rotate very slowly (and are using shorttics/recording a demo). With the setting on, you'll turn very slowly, as would seem natural for a slow mouse movement like that. Since you're using shorttics, the turning will appear to come in distinct increments because demos can't record smaller turn increments than that, but you will still turn. With the setting off, however, you won't turn at all. The mouse movement during a single time increment is too small to produce a single turn increment, so that fractional turn is dropped and it's as if you didn't turn at all.

I would recommend turning the setting on unless you're already used to having it off (which is how PrBoom+ was before this setting was introduced). I've heard of people preferring it switched off to avoid accidentally turning when lining up a glide (as small mouse movements won't result in a turn), but having it on is definitely the more natural behavior.

30 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

You can see the effect of this if you move your mouse to rotate very slowly (and are using shorttics/recording a demo). With the setting on, you'll turn very slowly, as would seem natural for a slow mouse movement like that. Since you're using shorttics, the turning will appear to come in distinct increments because demos can't record smaller turn increments than that, but you will still turn. With the setting off, however, you won't turn at all. The mouse movement during a single time increment is too small to produce a single turn increment, so that fractional turn is dropped and it's as if you didn't turn at all.

I would recommend turning the setting on unless you're already used to having it off (which is how PrBoom+ was before this setting was introduced). I've heard of people preferring it switched off to avoid accidentally turning when lining up a glide (as small mouse movements won't result in a turn), but having it on is definitely the more natural behavior.

I finally understand what does this do now... and figured out why I left it off while most of people say turning it on is better...

Thanks for the updates!

Didn't check thoroughly, but just a quick reply. Heretic works pretty good, but the sound effect of using a menu item is wrong IIRC? Also, the launcher doesn't support Heretic.wad was an IWAD (it seems I can't pick in the launcher, and I have to use command for now). Besides this, it works great. The little polishes can be done slowly.

Wasn't mentioned here, but I thought I'd note that there's now a dedicated button for toggling vertical mouse movement, so you don't have to do the weird thing with toggling mouselook to achieve that. (This is also in PrB+)

13 hours ago, kraflab said:

- fix for windows alt-tab focus issue (also in pr+)

*weeps with joy* - this used to drive me mad in prboom+ 2.5.1.4 (and earlier)

17 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Wasn't mentioned here, but I thought I'd note that there's now a dedicated button for toggling vertical mouse movement, so you don't have to do the weird thing with toggling mouselook to achieve that. (This is also in PrB+)

Nice, this is alternative way to fix the skybox problem (probably only in GLBoom+), which is nice to me. I hate that warped skybox...

5 hours ago, tmorrow said:

*weeps with joy* - this used to drive me mad in prboom+ 2.5.1.4 (and earlier)

TBH... I didn't think this is a problem for somebody else, so just dealt with it and never mentioned it. Somehow this made me feel better because it's not only my problem, lol.

Excellent! It's awesome to see the dedicated development and the rapid pace of features.  I am feeling pretty spoiled.

DSDA-Doom is branching far ahead of its PrBoom underpinings with the amount of work Kraflab has been doing. Even when you are not a speedrunner, DSDA-Doom becomes increasingly more enticing as a regular playing port. The work done by @kraflab and consorts is astounding.

And because of it i am going to nominate it for a Cacoward.

It was funny to see the fuzz effect in Heretic. I also had the chaos device sprite not appear in the inventory bar. The different border texture feels so weird to me.

But hey, the claw's powered version actually works, unlike EE. And acid rain! Both engines are somewhat off, but living in a world with multiple Boomy Heretic choices is excellent. And I can easily live with this until EE is gameplay complete.

Also, I love that binding artifacts is in the menu. Just like Hexen II.

On dimanche 14 février 2021 at 12:28 AM, kraflab said:

- You do not need to (and can't) set the complevel when playing heretic. It is implicitly set to 0, since heretic is based on doom v1.2.

Can we hope to eventually get Heretic complevels for the various versions of Heretic? @NY00123's work here can be a starting point.

11 minutes ago, Gez said:

Can we hope to eventually get Heretic complevels for the various versions of Heretic? @NY00123's work here can be a starting point.

Could you explain a bit what the point would be? All the heretic demos on dsda are in sync already, so I'm not seeing any value. If you're looking for an exact authentic experience of heretic, this is already the wrong place - let alone seeing the different old versions.

1 minute ago, kraflab said:

Could you explain a bit what the point would be? All the heretic demos on dsda are in sync already, so I'm not seeing any value. If you're looking for an exact authentic experience of heretic, this is already the wrong place - let alone seeing the different old versions.

The only scenario where I can see that being useful is if one wants to run a PWAD that requires an older version of Heretic to work correctly. I'm not aware of any though, much less if there's any behaviour difference between versions.

Complevels for earlier versions of Heretic would at least allow the demos built into the IWAD to run properly.

Firstly i would like to congratulate kraflab for implementing Heretic. We now finally have a "PrBoom for Heretic". This can open up new opportunities for more vanilla centric Heretic wads.

Now regarding the Heretic complevel discussion, I am personally against implementing more complevels into the port, unless there are any speedrun demos that depend on older versions of Heretic (Heretic's demo loop/attract mode demos don't count) . There are already enough Doom complevels and I don't want to see Heretic having many (obscure) complevels.

1 minute ago, ReaperAA said:

(Heretic's demo loop/attract mode demos don't count)

I don't agree with that.

8 minutes ago, Gez said:

I don't agree with that.

I mean if there is an actual speedrun that depends on older version of Heretic than sure, do implement it. But is implementing complevel for Heretic 1.0 just for the sake of Demo loops really worth the hassle? 

3 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

I mean if there is an actual speedrun that depends on older version of Heretic than sure, do implement it. But is implementing complevel for Heretic 1.0 just for the sake of Demo loops really worth the hassle? 

I'm sure someone out there cares enough to have this right.

Congrats on the release indeed, never thought I'd see Heretic support in PrBoom, woah there. I suppose Hexen will be next?

DSDA-Doom is a speedrun-oriented port, first of all. Nobody would give an elder version of Heretic/Hexen a try or some unknown custom WAD that somehow isn't compatible with the latest version, let alone speedrun it.

Edited by Dimon12321

46 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

DSDA-Doom is a speedrun-oriented port, first of all.

I would actually disagree with that definition - as a fork of prboom-plus, there's a bredth of complevels for fantastically exotic historic versions of Doom, including 1.2. No one would ever seriously play or record on them unless you have an extremely specific goal, but they're still supported and sometimes they allow like 5 rare demos to be played back. This is, imo, the main mission and all the speedrunning features and popularity with speedrunners stem from it, not the other way.

That said, exotic Heretic complevels do seem like a hell of a stretch goal to me and probably aren't high on kraflab's todo list.

I would 💯 expect a PrBoom Heretic to support complevels since it's essentially the mission statement of the port. But this is a separate engine. Although It would be nice to not have to load Heretic 1.0 in a DOS environment to view the damn attract mode.

1 hour ago, Dimon12321 said:

Nobody would give an elder version of Heretic/Hexen a try or some unknown custom WAD that somehow isn't compatible with the latest version

You underestimate people, you really do. I patched a copy of Serpent Rider to 1.0 just to view the attract mode. I patch doom stuff all the time just for curiosities. I can't be the only one, since these patches are extremely easy to come by.

This makes me want to see just how broken 1.0 of Hexen truly is.