Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

dsda-doom source port [v0.24.3]

Hi,

I'm not managing to play a demo recorded with the latest iteration in other Sourceports (crispy-doom & woof -cl2).

Very likely I messed something up. But it's the first time this happened.

Woof outright crashes & crispy sends a error msg. (attachment)

Sem Título.png

27 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

What complevel was your demo recorded in?

I know Woof is a fork of WinMBF so it probably has trouble playing anything not in MBF format.

-complevel 2

The wad is DBP36_rc1, it says limit removing so cl2 is usually what i use for that.

Woof has complevels since the last 2 updates.

add: Is there a way to get more info from the demo? So I can confirm cl set etc?

dbp36-m03.zip

Edited by skullz64 : addendum

17 minutes ago, skullz64 said:

-complevel 2

The wad is DBP36_rc1, it says limit removing so cl2 is usually what i use for that.

Woof has complevels since the last 2 updates.

So after looking around for a bit it seems demo version 255 is used for demos that include UMAPINO, which the Doomer Boards Project does in fact use. That would explain your problem, it's being read as a different format.

EDIT: Recording in DSDA Doom and playing back in Crispy gives the crash you described, but recording in Crispy and playing back in DSDA Doom works fine.

2 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

So after looking around for a bit it seems demo version 255 is used for demos that include UMAPINO, which the Doomer Boards Project does in fact use. That would explain your problem, it's being read as a different format.

Ah, ok. The wad seems to work on woof atleast & a demo recorded in woof plays on crispy, so I just thought it was strange.

Thanks for the heads up!

15 minutes ago, skullz64 said:

The wad seems to work on woof at least & a demo recorded in woof plays on crispy, so I just thought it was strange.

Hm, that shouldn't happen. If a wad uses umapinfo, the recording is supposed to be marked with the 255 version, and ports that don't understand umapinfo are supposed to abort (the error from crispy is the intended behaviour). @rfomin could there be an issue with woof's umapinfo implementation?

10 minutes ago, kraflab said:

Hm, that shouldn't happen. If a wad uses umapinfo, the recording is supposed to be marked with the 255 version, and ports that don't understand umapinfo are supposed to abort (the error from crispy is the intended behaviour). @rfomin could there be an issue with woof's umapinfo implementation?

I'm a moron, I forgot I was using a woof compiled (build?) by me today & forgot to test again with the stable 5.1.0... Demos with the stable indeed dont play in crispy & give that 255 error.

I cant seem to play the dsda demo on the 5.10 stable of woof tho, seems to work with woof -> dsda. Might be me being a moron x2 though.

Sorry for this :/

I have a bug report about the sound quirks code but it's a bit hard to describe what's exactly going on.

Basically, sounds are being stopped where they're not supposed to be compared to in vanilla. I know keeping the sound quirks is intentional but I believe the emulation of the quirks are inaccurate.

Would it be possible to make it so that midis don't restart when you load a save after triggering the music changer object? The midi keeps playing if you load in GZDoom but resets to the beginning in DSDA/PRBoom+. That would be really cool for using multiple midi tracks in large maps.

Updated to v0.19.4 (see download in original post)

This is just a small spec update for mbf21: adds FULLVOLSOUNDS thing flag.

On 6/4/2021 at 4:33 AM, kraflab said:

@rfomin could there be an issue with woof's umapinfo implementation?

In fact, Woof does not currently support the 255 UMAPINFO demo extension. Personally, I don't like this, but I guess we should implement it.

Updated to v0.19.5 (see original post for download)

What's new:

- Added -coop_spawns, which changes single player to use the coop things, but without coop mechanical behaviour
- Fixed some custom status bar backgrounds
- Fixed pain palette not displaying on sides of status bar in 32 bit mode
- Fixed opengl not applying palettes to status bar
- Fixed heretic e2 end image in 8 bit mode
- Fixed a menu crash (pr+)

I'm not 100% confident on what possible side effects there could be with the opengl palette fix - if you experience any new issues in opengl let me know.

In the current(0.19.5) and also previous(0.19.3) builds if I set my translucency filter to any value below 50% enemy projectiles w/ translucency become 100% transparent(as in, they are completely invisible if the translucency filter is set to any value between 1-49%).

Edit: Oh forgot to mention this is in gl renderer.

13 minutes ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

In the current(0.19.5) and also previous(0.19.3) builds if I set my translucency filter to any value below 50% enemy projectiles w/ translucency become 100% transparent(as in, they are completely invisible if the translucency filter is set to any value between 1-49%).

Edit: Oh forgot to mention this is in gl renderer.

I actually have a question about this. Can WADs force translucency? I turned off translucency all the time, but it seems translucency is on while playing Sunlust even though I checked the settings and they are off. While I'm using the same version to run Plutonia maps, it seems it's opaque. (0.19.3)

I think somebody told me translucency is a Boom feature, but I originally thought the settings will overwrite everything.

20 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I actually have a question about this. Can WADs force translucency? I turned off translucency all the time, but it seems translucency is on while playing Sunlust even though I checked the settings and they are off. While I'm using the same version to run Plutonia maps, it seems it's opaque. (0.19.3)

I think somebody told me translucency is a Boom feature, but I originally thought the settings will overwrite everything.

Translucency gets disabled for the vanilla complevels. I think it's supposed to obey the setting when playing with -cl9, but this appears to not work when using the OpenGL renderer. I remember in old versions of GlBoom+, translucency on powerups and projectiles didn't work at all even if you enabled it, so maybe this got fixed at some point but still doesn't obey the setting.

-coop_spawns break the built in demo reels. by causing coop things to spawn. Also demos recorded with -coop_spawns play fine in dsda-doom but break in prboom and any other boom compatible port.

15 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

Translucency gets disabled for the vanilla complevels. I think it's supposed to obey the setting when playing with -cl9, but this appears to not work when using the OpenGL renderer. I remember in old versions of GlBoom+, translucency on powerups and projectiles didn't work at all even if you enabled it, so maybe this got fixed at some point but still doesn't obey the setting.

I think when I'm using older version of DSDA-Doom, I didn't see this, so it's super obvious when the things are translucent right now. Probably GL Renderer is a broken thing at the beginning, so it's good to get some confirmation, but I can't really get to do anything heh. I also played some other maps with intended translucent but I didn't see through on DSDA-Doom 0.13.2.

6 minutes ago, L0l1nd3r said:

-coop_spawns break the built in demo reels. by causing coop things to spawn. Also demos recorded with -coop_spawns play fine in dsda-doom but break in prboom and any other boom compatible port.

Of course, if you record a demo with a special feature only available in certain ports, then your demo isn't going to play back in ones without it.

Looks like if you have the wipe effect enabled, the status bar has problems if you use automated key frame rewind.

Updated to v0.19.6 (see original post for download)

Fixes the aforementioned rewind issue.

On 6/2/2021 at 5:40 AM, Harpax said:

Invincibility and the "quicken" cheat don't turn the status bar's eyes gold

Fixed the issue with the cheat, but is heretic supposed to change the eyes when you gain invincibility normally? It doesn't happen in crispy. Does anyone know?

1 hour ago, kraflab said:

Fixed the issue with the cheat, but is heretic supposed to change the eyes when you gain invincibility normally? It doesn't happen in crispy. Does anyone know? 

Wow, you're right, it doesn't, sorry for reporting not bugs. I tested it out in a few other ports and different versions of vanilla heretic, and it seems the hud change is originally only for the god mode cheat. The reason I thought it was applied with the ring as well is because I usually use russian heretic which alters the hud for both. It doesn't even give the option to emulate vanilla. Gzdoom also uses the eyes for both.

Perhaps raven used god mode a lot during testing and they just wanted an indicator it was on without the obtrusive filter? Or it might be a mistake, it seems weird to make assets and a special exception for something you'll never see during normal play.

On 6/7/2021 at 1:53 PM, L0l1nd3r said:

demos recorded with -coop_spawns play fine in dsda-doom but break in prboom

The UM fork added -coop_spawns in development builds, and should work in that. 

On 6/7/2021 at 11:00 AM, kraflab said:

Of course, if you record a demo with a special feature only available in certain ports, then your demo isn't going to play back in ones without it.

Ideally though, shouldn't it not play at all in unsupported ports (like UMAPINFO demos), as opposed to playing and desyncing? Is that possible?

It's not possible without changing the format, which didn't feel worth it to me. I also considered disabling recording completely but figured if someone wants to do this kind of thing then they know what they're getting into. Conceptually this flag makes it so you're playing with a modified wad file, the port just modifies the flags for you. In this sense it is the same compatibility level, but for a different wad.

I will use this source port outside of its main intended purpose, I shall use it as a development kit rather than a speed running tool.

7 hours ago, Dwars said:

The UM fork added -coop_spawns in development builds, and should work in that. 

Lol, yeah, I was kind of expecting that to be brought over to the UM fork.