Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

dsda-doom source port [v0.24.3]

2 hours ago, kraflab said:

dsda-doom is demo compatible. However it works is just how the game works - it's not a question of features being implemented.

You're right. Never knew that. Just checked with chocolate heretic. Interestingly, heretic also didn't utilize the screen wipe feature from Doom. It's present in DSDA but i guess that's because it doesn't interfere with demo comp.

1 hour ago, Red Recluse said:

-file doom2.wad -record demo002 -warp 2 -complevel 4 -skill 4 it's work but don't work function -recordfromto why?                                                             -file doom2.wad -recordfromto demo002 demo003 -skipsec -10.

Negative skipsec doesn't work in the current version of DSDA-Doom.

36 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

Negative skipsec doesn't work in the current version of DSDA-Doom.

Didn't I fix it? 🤔 I guess it is in for 0.22 if not in the 0.21 release.

17 minutes ago, kraflab said:

Didn't I fix it? 🤔 I guess it is in for 0.22 if not in the 0.21 release.

Nope, hasn't been working since the keyframes/rewind update IIRC.

Hi, I would like to report a problem compiling DSDA-Doom with Visual Studio 2019 with "BUILD_SERVER:BOOL=ON", with "BUILD_SERVER:BOOL=OFF" it compiles perfectly.

549976124_Immagine2021-10-18154151.png.9448643d77a249f13432570a83a56101.png

LNK2019 external symbol movement_smooth reference not fixed in dsda_LimitFPS function

LNK1120 1 Unresolved External

Does the server in dsda-doom actually work? I don't recommend trying to play multiplayer with this port. For the missing reference I will get it fixed either way (or feel free to submit a PR).

I'm kind of inclined to gut the server code completely, does anyone have a big objection to that? It's not maintained, and I prefer not to have a big chunk of code in that state (which doesn't do a good job at what it's meant for anyway). In the (distant) future we will actually support decent multiplayer, but I'd actually prefer to have it completely impossible as opposed to leave it in this in between condition.

1 hour ago, kraflab said:

I'm kind of inclined to gut the server code completely, does anyone have a big objection to that? It's not maintained, and I prefer not to have a big chunk of code in that state (which doesn't do a good job at what it's meant for anyway). In the (distant) future we will actually support decent multiplayer, but I'd actually prefer to have it completely impossible as opposed to leave it in this in between condition.

Sounds like a good idea to me if it's not meant to be used in its current state. Probably better to rewrite it later anyway if it's bad like I've heard (from PRB+).

Even Budko said not to use multiplayer in prboom-plus, so that code is really neglected and obsolete. I'd say cut the rotting appendix and reimplement it properly from scratch.

Sorry but I have to ask you something. In both Prboom-plus and DSDA-Doom, after a while I start playing, I begin to hear "clicks" in the audio. Am I the only one having this problem?

Then I would like to add the problem of stuttering, both with render software and opengl, which afflicts Prboom-plus (and therefore also DSDA-Doom). By switching to a 144hz Freesync monitor, the problem becomes almost irrelevant, but the lower the refresh rate (for example 60hz), the more the problem becomes evident. Maybe there is a logical explanation why it happens, but I don't know what it is, I don't make software.

Let's be clear, mine is not a complaint, I'm just reporting two problems: one with the audio that I don't know if it also happens to others, and another that is a historical problem of Prboom-plus. Thanks :)

Edited by Kappa971

Never heard of such an audio issue. Some people had stuttering in pr+ that was ultimately fixed in dsda-doom. I'm not aware of it persisting, but performance is always something I work on over time.

1 hour ago, kraflab said:

Never heard of such an audio issue. Some people had stuttering in pr+ that was ultimately fixed in dsda-doom. I'm not aware of it persisting, but performance is always something I work on over time.

If no one else has these audio issues, it may have something to do with the Sound Blaster Z, but with other games I have no audio issues.
As for stuttering, I noticed that there is a new setting to limit FPS (multiplying the original game's 35fps * the set number) but it gets worse. I have a 144hz Freesync monitor with vsync active in the Nvidia control panel, 144fps fixed with the render software (and opengl with the more complex wads).
Anyway thanks, always very helpful.

I imagine applying vsync while simultaneously limiting framerate is definitely going to give you a bad experience. The game will have to wait for the vsync rate but it's also waiting at times for the capped rate. The waiting could end up chaining together and result in a stutter. I'd guess anyway, depends how exactly the control panel forces it.

You might want to try limiting the framerate and disabling vsync.

3 hours ago, kraflab said:

I imagine applying vsync while simultaneously limiting framerate is definitely going to give you a bad experience. The game will have to wait for the vsync rate but it's also waiting at times for the capped rate. The waiting could end up chaining together and result in a stutter. I'd guess anyway, depends how exactly the control panel forces it.

You might want to try limiting the framerate and disabling vsync.

Right, in fact I activated the game limiter just to see if anything changed but I think there is some problem left unresolved in Prboom-plus (which DSDA-Doom inherited).
With Freesync monitors it is recommended to activate vsync from the video card control panel as it acts as an FPS limiter when the Freesync operating threshold is exceeded, otherwise tearing occurs, and this is how I use it, including DSDA-Doom. I'm not a programmer, maybe it has nothing to do with it, but could the interpolation be "broken"?
I tried other source ports like Crispy-doom or Eternity Engine which work more smoothly, I don't use them because on Windows they have problems with playing midi with external synthesizers, like Sound Canvas VA (no music volume control, changes of key, incorrect reproduction).

At refresh rates as high as 144hz, stuttering is mild. I used to own a 60hz monitor and with Prboom-plus it was very noticeable (DSDA-Doom behaves identically, tested with another PC with a 60hz screen), to try to make it less annoying, I found that the more fps the game produces, the less you notice it, so I activated fast sync from the Nvidia control panel so that the game it was locked at 120fps instead of 60fps (without tearing) with the result that it was much more playable.

Edited by Kappa971

@kraflab Could the framerate limiter cause demo desync or modify the game speed by any percent? Is that feature safe for speedrunning? I'm just not sure to use it I don't know why.

(I don't really know how that feature works, don't know what I'm talking about.)

A frame rate limiter limits the renderer, not the play code. So unless its implementation is broken it will not affect demo sync at all. Normally it is just a short wait after having rendered a frame.

Any feature that I add to the game that works in strict mode is legal for speedrunning. The only possible pitfalls with strict mode are features that are old that I didn't know exist (which seem to surface still somehow).

Any plans for further gamepad support some day? I can use the analog stick on my gamepad now, but I can't define sensitivity, can't choose if I want the analog stick to strafe instead of turning, and I can't bind buttons to it.

I can WASD it still, but I like gamepad + mouse the best.

1 hour ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Any plans for further gamepad support some day? I can use the analog stick on my gamepad now, but I can't define sensitivity, can't choose if I want the analog stick to strafe instead of turning, and I can't bind buttons to it.

I can WASD it still, but I like gamepad + mouse the best.

Yes, I'm planning on overhauling gamepad support at some point.

One question: Is it possible to get 640x400 running in widescreen? (like in Crispy,Woof ecc...)

Edited by Valboom

Try `-geom 852x480`. You won't get vertical aspect ratio correction if merely passing `-geom 852x400`.

10 minutes ago, Valboom said:

One question: Is it possible to get 640x400 running in widescreen (like in Crispy,Woof ecc...)

With this fork, it is. In the original Dsda-Doom do have to do what fabian wrote

On 10/19/2021 at 6:21 AM, Kappa971 said:

Sorry but I have to ask you something. In both Prboom-plus and DSDA-Doom, after a while I start playing, I begin to hear "clicks" in the audio. Am I the only one having this problem?

Then I would like to add the problem of stuttering, both with render software and opengl, which afflicts Prboom-plus (and therefore also DSDA-Doom). By switching to a 144hz Freesync monitor, the problem becomes almost irrelevant, but the lower the refresh rate (for example 60hz), the more the problem becomes evident. Maybe there is a logical explanation why it happens, but I don't know what it is, I don't make software.

Let's be clear, mine is not a complaint, I'm just reporting two problems: one with the audio that I don't know if it also happens to others, and another that is a historical problem of Prboom-plus. Thanks :)

I occasionally get the clicking audio too. Even when I load default settings it's still there. I'm thinking it's a problem with Win10, as a reboot usually solves the issue.

1 hour ago, L0l1nd3r said:

I occasionally get the clicking audio too. Even when I load default settings it's still there. I'm thinking it's a problem with Win10, as a reboot usually solves the issue.

In my case a restart of the game only fixes the problem for a few seconds, I'm not sure but I think clicks only show up with certain sounds... for example, I remember the continuous sound of moving walls that creates audible clicks or the sound when scrolling through menus.

Does stuttering happen to you too?

Edited by Kappa971

15 hours ago, Valboom said:

One question: Is it possible to get 640x400 running in widescreen? (like in Crispy,Woof ecc...)

You can also just do 641x400 or similar (either through the config file or with the -geom parameter) to get almost the same resolution without triggering the aspect ratio correction.

Hi, I recently found out about this source port, and I have to say that it is really neat! But there is one thing I want to criticize, and that is the fact that this source port does not emulate sc-55 by default or use the drivers or whatever. I was able to get that SC-55 sound by watching a video about this port specifically. Here is a link to the video, and I timestamped it so that you can see what I am talking about: 

Please add this in by default! Thank you!

Could we get the normal in-menu compatibility settings in DSDA or is that just completely off the table because of speedrunning rules?

I mean, for us non-speedrunners who prefer DSDA over regular PrBoom-plus because of all the neat extra features it add, it would be great to have that level of customizability. For instance, i prefer playing on complevel 2 but i don't want monsters to get stuck on doortracks or Arch-Viles to create ghost monsters.

Maybe you could make the compatibility settings grayed out when Strict Mode is activated??

Edited by Gregor

1 hour ago, Gregor said:

Could we get the normal in-menu compatibility settings in DSDA or is that just completely off the table because of speedrunning rules?

I mean, for us non-speedrunners who prefer DSDA over regular PrBoom-plus because of all the neat extra features it add, it would be great to have that level of customizability. For instance, i prefer playing on complevel 2 but i don't want monsters to get stuck on doortracks or Arch-Viles to create ghost monsters.

Maybe you could make the compatibility settings grayed out when Strict Mode is activated??

If I remember correctly, those settings are not allowed because when playing in complevel 11 they take effect and, as a result, affect gameplay.

Edit: You can use old versions of dsda-doom, I think those still have that chart available.

Edited by Lol 6

1 hour ago, Lol 6 said:

If I remember correctly, those settings are not allowed because when playing in complevel 11 they take effect and, as a result, affect gameplay

Yeah but for demos doesn't complevel 11 force default settings for those options independent of what is set in the menu? So that shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Gregor