Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kraflab

dsda-doom source port [v0.23.0]

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, kraflab said:

Updated to v0.21.0

 

This version breaks save files.

 

What's New:

  • Added extended hud toggle
  • Added exit / quit console command
  • The toggle inputs for novert and strict mode no longer persist changes
    • When you start a new attempt, values revert
    • When you exit the program, values revert
  • Spelled out "archvile jump" in the menu
  • Sorted some inputs in the menu
  • Added subframe limit option for uncapped fps (target = sub frames * 35)
  • Added save game name default (press backspace to clear)
  • Updated opengl fuzz to be more in line with software visibility (elim)
  • Removed dehacked state limit
  • Removed dehacked sprite limit
  • Removed dehacked sfx limit
  • Removed dehacked thing limit
  • Removed obsolete quickstart window setting
  • Reduced default log noise for gl init
  • Fixed software fuzz fps (elim)
  • Fixed a heretic pause desync
  • Fixed MUSINFO ignoring the 64th entry
  • Fixed strict mode toggle not overriding iddt
  • Fixed an issue where the menu would not reset properly
  • Fixed a crash in hexen from the "Enable External Hi-Res" option
  • Fixed an issue with hexen save files
  • Fixed a performance issue in 0.20 caused by the hexen implementation
  • Fixed a crash when exiting e6m3 in heretic pwads

 

dsda-doom-0.21.0.zip

just compiled it on my machine and it works like a charm though im a bit confused about the subframe option it does make my controlls better even with vsync but how does it work?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, omalefico32x said:

just compiled it on my machine and it works like a charm though im a bit confused about the subframe option it does make my controlls better even with vsync but how does it work?

It's limiting the framerate, but in multiples of 35 fps because this makes the interpolation line up with the game logic. 2 sub frames = 70 fps for instance, meaning you render twice per game tic.

 

57 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

huh one thing that i noticed in the new version is that load times got slightly bigger

Is it happening for you for everything, or is there a specific wad where it's more noticeable? Is it the startup time of the port, or time in between maps?

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, kraflab said:

It's limiting the framerate, but in multiples of 35 fps because this makes the interpolation line up with the game logic. 2 sub frames = 70 fps for instance, meaning you render twice per game tic.

 

Is it happening for you for everything, or is there a specific wad where it's more noticeable? Is it the startup time of the port, or time in between maps?

oh i see thanks for the explanation this is a huge improvement for sure

 

the reason for the slower load times was gog galaxy for some reason it stayed open after i closed it and i didint noticed it at the time sorry

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kraflab said:

It's limiting the framerate, but in multiples of 35 fps because this makes the interpolation line up with the game logic. 2 sub frames = 70 fps for instance, meaning you render twice per game tic.

 

Is it happening for you for everything, or is there a specific wad where it's more noticeable? Is it the startup time of the port, or time in between maps?

So if players enable that option technically will they have less input lag :0? BTW i really like the new fuzz effect so thank you "elim" :)

 

I have a feature request for DSDA-Doom: Everytime i open the game with software exclusive mode enabled i cannot set the resolution to 320x200p, i have to restart the game and then it lets me put that resolution, it would be cool if i didnt need to restart the game with exclusive screen turned off.

Edited by El juancho

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, El juancho said:

So if players enable that option technically will they have less input lag :0?

not input lag but input delay with this on a 60hz monitor for example we can use this to play on uncapped with good controls without our pcs becoming atomic bombs from the heat

Share this post


Link to post

Ok last pause related bug: Recorded on dsda-doom 0.21.0, played back with Crispy Doom 5.10.1 desyncs when pausing during intermission. I also hit menu during the pause, during the intermission. I found this same issue in pr+ or prboom and tried to replicate it in dsda-doom with heretic. 

 

http://www.geocities.ws/catodemos/demos/random/testdemos/heretic_intermission_pause.lmp

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Catoptromancy said:

Ok last pause related bug: Recorded on dsda-doom 0.21.0, played back with Crispy Doom 5.10.1 desyncs when pausing during intermission. I also hit menu during the pause, during the intermission. I found this same issue in pr+ or prboom and tried to replicate it in dsda-doom with heretic. 

 

http://www.geocities.ws/catodemos/demos/random/testdemos/heretic_intermission_pause.lmp

Thanks for the report, I'll fix that as well 😄

Share this post


Link to post

Seems like the frame rate limiter is being a bit overzealous in some cases, will fix that in the next release (but in most cases it works well).

Share this post


Link to post

0.21.0 no longer allows blasphemer to be loaded as an iwad. 0.20.1 lets it load fine. The -heretic flag does not matter. I recompiled 0.20.1 to double check. 

 

Blasphemer has a BLASPHEM marker, similar to Freedoom's FREEDOOM marker. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, kraflab said:

Seems like the frame rate limiter is being a bit overzealous in some cases, will fix that in the next release (but in most cases it works well).

Did a couple of laps around e1m1 to test the new framerate lock. Very smooth and stable!

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Catoptromancy said:

0.21.0 no longer allows blasphemer to be loaded as an iwad. 0.20.1 lets it load fine. The -heretic flag does not matter. I recompiled 0.20.1 to double check. 

 

Blasphemer has a BLASPHEM marker, similar to Freedoom's FREEDOOM marker. 

I'm not sure what could cause that difference, but I'll check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/21/2021 at 12:05 PM, kraflab said:

Seems like the frame rate limiter is being a bit overzealous in some cases, will fix that in the next release (but in most cases it works well).

Looks like this was an issue with maps that are expensive on the game logic side. If the game logic takes longer to process than a rendering pass, the framerate will be lower than the target.

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, limiting the framerate in software mode makes the game a lot smoother for me, its almost as smooth as opengl mode 0.0

 

I was really annoyed by how janky it felt to play in software mode at high resolutions but now I can play as I always wanted, great!

Edited by El juancho

Share this post


Link to post

I've recently moved from PrBoom-plus 2.5.0.1 to DSDA Doom and I've noticed something unusual : during casual play, on PrBoom-plus and older ports, when you die and then type in the IDDQD cheat, you stay dead and the monsters around you "awaken" again as if they just noticed you. They scream and then stay in place while going through their walking animation phase.

On DSDA Doom, the behavior is different : when you die and then type in IDDQD, you resurrect (just like the RESURRECT console command on ZDoom-like ports).

While this resurrect mode can be handy at times, I'd like to know if it could be toggled on and off (to get back to the former, classic behavior).
Haven't found any mention of that in the config file.

Was it introduced in DSDA Doom, or in PrBoom-plus UMAPINFO versions (that I haven't tried) ?
 

Share this post


Link to post

Ok, well I won't shed a tear over this particular feature but on principle I'd like to use a port as classic as possible (while also benefitting from the new demo / MBF21 features, if that makes sense).
It should probably have been handled differently earlier on in PrBoom-plus UM I guess (as a new RESURRECT cheat for example, instead of "fixing" the existing behavior).

No big deal though, really enjoying the port so far. :)
Have yet to try playing Heretic with this, and toying around with the ghost feature.

Share this post


Link to post

I could see "resurrect" being a console command were it to be implemented today, though personally I don't see anything of value lost by tying it to IDDQD.

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, Valboom said:

Is it just me, or is there a bit of mouse lag?

it only happens with v0.21.0

Are you using the new fps setting or existing config?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kraflab said:

Are you using the new fps setting or existing config?

Existing config.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Valboom said:

Existing config.

Are you using my build or the one Ramon just posted?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kraflab said:

Are you using my build or the one Ramon just posted?

Your build,it is the very first that I have this problem with DSDA Doom

Share this post


Link to post

I'm running v.0.21.0 in Linux, Hexen is crashing after selecting a character if Weapon Attack Alignment is set to Centered or Bobbing. Being set to Horizontal or None works fine.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, EnrichedUranium said:

I'm running v.0.21.0 in Linux, Hexen is crashing after selecting a character if Weapon Attack Alignment is set to Centered or Bobbing. Being set to Horizontal or None works fine.

Thanks, had another report like this but we weren't sure what setting it was. Will get this patched for the next release.

Share this post


Link to post

Is anyone else having an issue with mouse after this update? I can't notice a difference on my end.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×