Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

dsda-doom source port [v0.24.3]

I'm looking for some folks to try out this build and let me know how the mouse feels.

Changes:

- fixes various truncation issues in mouse control.

- mouse sensitivity has been adjusted by 5/8. In order to have the same sensitivity in this test build, you need to multiply your old value by 8/5.

This should have the following effects:

- vertical mouse movement should work as expected even at low sensitivity, and should feel pretty smooth.

- the same thing for mouse strafe.

- turning speed and (absence of) acceleration should be more consistent.

If you try it out, please let me know if you feel any change.

dsda-doom-mt3.zip

Edited by kraflab

2 minutes ago, kraflab said:

Automap mouse scroll is busted when playing with uncapped framerate.

Heh, was about to report that :)

Updated to v0.17.1 (see download in first post)

What's new:

• Fixes automap mouse scroll when playing with uncapped framerate.

Thanks for all the improvements you've been making @kraflab. Amazing stuff.

One thing I noticed in v0.17.1 is that it takes several more "rolls" of the mousewheel  to get between max and min zoom on the automap than with prboom+ 2.5.1.4. The effect is more obvious on larger maps where on my system (Win 7) I need to scroll around 40 times to get between the zoom extremes. I'm guessing this is a result of the removed mouse input scaling. Whereas there are sliders to alter the mouse sensitivity for horizontal and vertical movement, I did not see any way to alter the mouse scroll sensitivity which I would like turn up quite a bit! I may have missed a configurable option though.

It's not a big deal but I thought I would mention it and see anyone else is noticing the same thing. Whether it needs to to be addressed or not is of course up to you.

3 hours ago, tmorrow said:

One thing I noticed in v0.17.1 is that it takes several more "rolls" of the mousewheel  to get between max and min zoom on the automap than with prboom+ 2.5.1.4. The effect is more obvious on larger maps where on my system (Win 7) I need to scroll around 40 times to get between the zoom extremes. I'm guessing this is a result of the removed mouse input scaling. Whereas there are sliders to alter the mouse sensitivity for horizontal and vertical movement, I did not see any way to alter the mouse scroll sensitivity which I would like turn up quite a bit! I may have missed a configurable option though.

There's this setting on Options->Setup->Automap, try increasing the value and see if it helps:

hu13sUj.png

Many thanks @Andromeda, I was looking for such a configuration in the mouse settings rather than the automap settings. Silly me. Zoom speed was on 8 and I bumped to 32. Much better!

disregard - wrong download link

Edited by DOEL

I recently updated to the latest version and I immediately noticed how nice the mouse movement felt in the OpenGL video mode, but I'm not a huge fan of the hardware lighting. I much prefer the software lighting of the 32bit video mode, but when I switch over to that, the mouse suddenly feels off. Is it possible to get that smooth mouse movement and have software lighting simultaneously?

The mouse is handled the same in every video mode. Most likely you're having some kind of performance issue in software mode, which some users experience. This is an ongoing topic, and is being investigated, but there's not much I can offer right now as no one seems to know why it happens (in pr+ and dsda-doom). It also depends on how you're playing the game (fullscreen, screen res, etc). I've heard some people specifically have an issue with fullscreen + low resolution + software mode for instance, which is alleviated by using a higher resolution... 🤷

1 hour ago, Repugnus said:

I much prefer the software lighting of the 32bit video mode

There's not much visual improvement over the 8bit mode and the performance hit is considerable, see if bumping it down helps.

@kraflab Seems like a case of "your mileage may vary", because I'm playing at a high resolution + fullscreen. Hopefully you can eventually figure it out what the deal is. Thanks for the quick response.

@dew This helped a lot, I guess the issue is indeed tied to performance. Thanks!

Add software mode exclusive fullscreen option (from pr+).

What difference does this make compared to regular fullscreen?

14 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

What difference does this make compared to regular fullscreen?

Exclusive fullscreen means the game owns the screen. Hypothetically it's better performance but slower to alt-tab out of? OpenGL is exclusive by default here, but software isn't. This makes it an option to turn it on for software as well.

Hello!  Not sure if this has been brought up before now, but is there a plan to include some of the sound features in the current build of PrBoom+ in this port?  I find the sound effects cutoff rather prominent with imp fireball impacts and revenant missile explosions, and it distracts from enjoying the gameplay experience, so I'm particularly interested in support for the full_sound config option, which is "Disable Sound Cutoffs" in the menu in PrBoom+.  Thank you!

I follow all the developments coming from upstream and merge them periodically in between new features on this end. Sound cutoffs are in the queue.

2 hours ago, kraflab said:

I follow all the developments coming from upstream and merge them periodically in between new features on this end. Sound cutoffs are in the queue.

Excellent!  I'll be on the lookout for the upcoming minor version releases.

can we have colored blood too? I really like that, blue blood for cacos and green blood for barons and hell knights

14 minutes ago, JuanchoES said:

can we have colored blood too? I really like that, blue blood for cacos and green blood for barons and hell knights

Read page 8.

I don't think sprite changes are in scope for a port, especially of that nature, and they aren't allowed for speedrunning.

I found a minor bug, related to Heretic. The version is 0.18.0, ran with -heretic parameter:

P.S.: There's a minor bug, related to DSDADoom source port. Any chickens, transformed by Morph Ovum, will add the value to total monster count from the extended HUD, making the counter obsolete for 100% kill. The monster count from the automap isn't affected by this bug, though.

Here's a screenshot of it, showing different total monsters for two counters. Notice the two chickens from the screen, and two more monsters for the extended HUD's counter.

dsdadoom_heretic.png.f8c8d885783791257c041c1906c2cf06.png