Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

dsda-doom source port [v0.24.3]

in hexen, if i go through a portal to the hub it switches me to fighter class and respawns all the monsters

5 minutes ago, jeremieh said:

in hexen, if i go through a portal to the hub it switches me to fighter class and respawns all the monsters

Can you tell me how you're launching the game and the exact context, map, etc?

i put the hexen.wad file into my dsda doom directory and then i launch the game by double clicking on the exe

Hey kraflab, my apologies if this has already been asked - but since DSDA-Doom supports Hexen, I was wondering if there's any chance that a future build may have support for "Doom-in-Hexen" format Doom maps?

There's a number of wads from the mid to late 00s that require a ZDoom-family port only because of the use of Doom-in-Hexen features - It would be nice to play those wads in a port that has great demo support (and has all the other things that make DSDA-Doom awesome)

Just wanted to ask about it - I understand if it's not on the radar (or hasn't even been mentioned), but it would be pretty cool to unshackle some of those old mapsets from being Zdoom-family only!

I'm working on it already, but it's not as trivial as it sounds. Having hexen support helps a little but not as much as you would think. In other words, I don't have any clue right now how long it will take. But I'm working on it and it's "the next thing" since hexen.

Is it possible to allow intermission text to auto-complete in vanilla wads, with a key press, like it does in Boom? In -cl 2/3/4, it skips the intermission entirely if you press use. It's not a huge issue, but I like to read the story when playing a new wad and currently have to wait for it to slowly appear.

5 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Is it possible to allow intermission text to auto-complete in vanilla wads, with a key press, like it does in Boom? In -cl 2/3/4, it skips the intermission entirely if you press use. It's not a huge issue, but I like to read the story when playing a new wad and currently have to wait for it to slowly appear.

The text screen behavior is tied to demo sync, i.e. changing the number of use presses it takes to advance to the next level would cause demos that pass through a story sequence to desync.

Are there any plans to fix the multiplayer on this port? Me and a friend would be interested in doing some coop runs, and we're probably not the only ones.

Would also be interesting to see some of the doom gods playing together... :)

40 minutes ago, MatrixCL said:

Are there any plans to fix the multiplayer on this port? Me and a friend would be interested in doing some coop runs, and we're probably not the only ones.

Would also be interesting to see some of the doom gods playing together... :)

Agreed, I don't think any non-vanilla, conservative ports have ever had decent multiplayer. Would be nice to finally get it fixed.

Plans in the sense that, given infinite time, this would be addressed? Yes. There are just a thousand other things that are more important - and any implementation would need to be kept up to date with all the other work in this port, so it's not just a case of implementing it and being done. If you're interested in conservative multiplayer, I would recommend checking out the work woof has done / is doing with respect to multiplayer support.

1 hour ago, kraflab said:

checking out the work woof has done / is doing with respect to multiplayer support.

We are not there yet. 

I understand it's a matter of priority, and yes, it does add extra maintenance as well. It's just that, like maxmanium said: there is no decent conservative source port that offers multiplayer. That's why I was asking. But okay, good to know it's not coming any time soon.

I didn't know about woof yet! But I get the impression they might have it sooner than DSDA. Anyway, I'll try and stay up to date with that project as well.

On 9/5/2021 at 12:07 PM, kraflab said:

I'm working on it already, but it's not as trivial as it sounds. Having hexen support helps a little but not as much as you would think. In other words, I don't have any clue right now how long it will take. But I'm working on it and it's "the next thing" since hexen.

So, no Strife support...? ;)

47 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

So, no Strife support...? ;)

I don't currently have any plans to support strife. I'd much rather invest into more format support for doom / heretic / hexen.

Been playing a bit of Heretic (more specifically ENDQUEST, if that matters) on the latest version... This is pretty good so far! But i have a few things to point out:

-I had a save where i was holding a tome of power... but after i died and loaded that save, the tome of power showed up like a (separate) time bomb, though it still functioned like a tome of power so it was just a weird HUD glitch.

-Resurrecting (IDDQD upon death) seems to spawn a gargoyle sprite near your corpse for some reason?? Is that intended?

-Another thing i don't know if it's intended for compatibility or not... Enemies seem to get stuck on top of each other exceptionally often near walls/corners, and so can the player (I once got stuck on top of a disciple and couldn't move no matter what).

The save problem is probably just am issue with the hud refreshing - I'll take a look.

Not all cheats work correctly or with expected results in all games. Most likely the extra behaviour for iddqd after death hasn't been checked for heretic compatibility so I'll take a look.

Since demos are in sync, the issue you bring up with enemies getting stuck is probably just how the game is. It's not impossible that there is a bug though that doesn't show up in the iwad and missed detection. We would need a demo that exhibits the behaviour and desyncs in crispy heretic to confirm such a thing.

Heretic's vertical collision code is not the greatest. It even has some handling to keep flying enemies from overlapping horizontally, so if something ends up in the wrong place it's likely that weird things happen. They were trying to fix something that was totally screwed up in the engine - no source port has ever managed to fully fix it.

Chocolate-heretic inventory always defaults to first in the list, no matter what was selected. I found this recently too and checked other ports, and all the vanilla compat ports do this. 

Did some testing:

Chocolate-heretic on loading a save game shows first item in list, and uses that item when you "use item." Does not matter what item was currently selected when game was saved.

Dsda-doom on loading a save game shows item that was selected while game was saved, and "use item" actually uses the first item in list. 

Dsda-doom is not updating visual artifact display, while using vanilla mechanics to use first item in list regardless of what is being displayed.

Can either make it vanilla functional, by updating current artifact selected display....or allowing players to keep the selected artifact through a savegame. Would make repeated savegame strategies a hassle having to reselect your item every time you load. 

Edited by Catoptromancy

I compiled dsda-doom with Visual Studio 2019 (later I also tried 2022) and vcpkg (libdumb isn't there? I had to add it manually). Doom and Heretic work, Hexen crashes after choosing the difficulty or when the demo starts.

Is updating the way audio channels work within the scope of this port? At this point, my biggest gripe with PRBoom+ derivatives is how they destroy your ears with 32 sound channels or ignore some of the audio at lower values. 12 channels is as high as I go before slaughtermaps become offensive to the ears, but that does lead to a lot of sounds not playing that I'd like to hear.

57 minutes ago, Kappa971 said:

I compiled dsda-doom with Visual Studio 2019 (later I also tried 2022) and vcpkg (libdumb isn't there? I had to add it manually). Doom and Heretic work, Hexen crashes after choosing the difficulty or when the demo starts.

I can't really support non-canonical build environments. I'd recommend making a debug build and tracking down the crash there.

10 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Is updating the way audio channels work within the scope of this port? At this point, my biggest gripe with PRBoom+ derivatives is how they destroy your ears with 32 sound channels or ignore some of the audio at lower values. 12 channels is as high as I go before slaughtermaps become offensive to the ears, but that does lead to a lot of sounds not playing that I'd like to hear.

What kind of change would you want?

There was discussion last year in the 2.6.1um thread about the possibility of replacing the sound code with the one GZDoom uses, which allows for 128+ sound channels without a group of Revenants blowing out your speakers/headphones. According to @Graf Zahl, it sounds like a better long-term option compared to utilizing the vanilla sound system.

5 hours ago, kraflab said:

I can't really support non-canonical build environments. I'd recommend making a debug build and tracking down the crash there.

Thanks for the reply. Visual Studio is fairly canonical on Windows as a development environment, but which one would be recommended for dsda-doom on Windows? I have tried msys2 mingw but I haven't been able to get it to work, I have tried to follow the guide for compiling dsda-doom/prboom-plus for Linux (as there is no reference for Windows), I have installed all necessary dependencies, but the (installed) fluidsynth library isn't detected and It doesn't detect OpenGL. Plus if I try to compile, it crashes with an error, that's why I used Visual Studio. Both Doom and Heretic work so maybe there is some bug on Hexen regardless of development environment, which I have reported here to help. Thanks

4 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

There was discussion last year in the 2.6.1um thread about the possibility of replacing the sound code with the one GZDoom uses, which allows for 128+ sound channels without a group of Revenants blowing out your speakers/headphones. According to @Graf Zahl, it sounds like a better long-term option compared to utilizing the vanilla sound system.

It surely is doable. When porting the sound system to Raze I removed lots of hard dependencies on how ZDoom works internally and that would help here, too.

The main issue here is that Doom's sound system has no limiting features beyond channel eviction if the available set is used up and happily plays all sounds it's being requested to play - and this turned out to be unviable when it was tried in ZDoom many, many years ago as well and created such a strong backlash that the "un-doomy" sound limiting had to be brought back. You cannot go much beyond 10-15 channels without some control options.

45 minutes ago, Kappa971 said:

Thanks for the reply. Visual Studio is fairly canonical on Windows as a development environment, but which one would be recommended for dsda-doom on Windows?

IMO Visual Studio 2019 is "the" canonical build environment for Windows. Have you tried to run your build in the debugger to see where it crashes? If you can give that information it'd be a lot easier to find the cause. Since you experience the crash and have set up the build environment you are in the best position to provide more help. In any case, I don't expect this to be a compiler specific problem but far more likely a setup issue that was never expected by some code in here.

@kraflab

Have you ever considered enabling the issue tracker on the repo? With this thread being the only public place where the port is being discussed it's not really the best place to report issues. Something a bit more organized may help a lot.

36 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

@kraflab

Have you ever considered enabling the issue tracker on the repo? With this thread being the only public place where the port is being discussed it's not really the best place to report issues. Something a bit more organized may help a lot.

Oh yes, please!

17 hours ago, kraflab said:

The save problem is probably just am issue with the hud refreshing - I'll take a look.

Most probably just an `if (heretic) SB_Start();` missing in `G_DoLoadGame()`.