Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

dsda-doom source port [v0.24.3]

41 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Strife does a lot of odd things, doesn't it? There's also no source code.

Source code isn't much of an issue, I believe the reverse engineering that's been done is pretty good.

I think the biggest issue is just that Strife didn't bother with proper demo support at all. As far as I'm aware, dialogue breaks when trying to play back any recorded demo. As a result, there's probably very few (if any) demos to claim the game support compatible with, other than the single short one found in the title screen loop of the game. And if dialogues don't work anyway it's worthless for the kind of demos people actually want to record.

@kraflab Just to follow up on those few Hexen bugs I reported earlier, I've done a bit more testing and discovered that the two relating to widescreen assets (improperly displayed extended status bar and glitching to the fighter's punch animation) only occur in software rendering mode. I usually use software mode as I prefer the lighting, but I tried with OpenGL and both bugs disappeared.

I also checked the bug with the fighter's fourth weapon graphics on the status bar, but this occurs in both software and OpenGL modes.

So when using higher resolutions in DSDA doom, the scaling for the fuzz for specters get's so high that they become really invisible. Could you guys add an option to scale up the fuzz so we can see them like we would in chocolate doom?

What renderer are you using? Could you provide some screenshots to give an idea what you mean exactly?

Scaling option for spectre fuzz would be interesting, considering those guys are actually hard to see on the original resolution, but very easy to see on higher ones.

It's in the todo list to make spectres in software mode have the same "resolution" of fuzz as vanilla at any window resolution. Elim has it on his plate.

On 1/7/2022 at 10:28 AM, kraflab said:

It's in the todo list to make spectres in software mode have the same "resolution" of fuzz as vanilla at any window resolution. Elim has it on his plate.

Thanks. I love playing software render mode, but the spectres are barely visible

Options for bobbing is good for accessability options, but for clarification, does the default values correspond to how bobbing works in Vanilla?

Likewise, does bobbing still line up with the original timing in that case?

It's not a particularly important point, but I do seem to vaguely recall that an eagle eyed player could theoretically line up their weapon bobbing with the intervals for damaging floors, thus gauging that timing somehow, or something such as that. It was something which I think wasn't actually useful in practice.

This might be a silly question, but is there a clever way to migrate to new version? When I switched 21.x to 22.3 (or .4) I had to go through immense trouble ensuring all configuration options be the same as in previous version. Can  I simply use the old config file with the new one?

@RHhe82 You can just copy the config file over, I've used the same config file since 0.19.x and haven't had to generate a new one at all.

14 minutes ago, RHhe82 said:

This might be a silly question, but is there a clever way to migrate to new version? When I switched 21.x to 22.3 (or .4) I had to go through immense trouble ensuring all configuration options be the same as in previous version. Can  I simply use the old config file with the new one?

I do that, I simply copy the files from the new version and paste them into my folder where I have the old version :)

1 hour ago, Maribo said:

@RHhe82 You can just copy the config file over, I've used the same config file since 0.19.x and haven't had to generate a new one at all.

I do indeed feel silly now, that's so simple :-D

Anyway, I wonder if this has to do my Avast shenanigans as it usually breaks new executables whenever I obtain them, but for some reason DSDA no longer seems to write stats.txt upon exiting the game? Am I right to suspect Avast, or has something changed since 0.22.x?

3 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Options for bobbing is good for accessability options, but for clarification, does the default values correspond to how bobbing works in Vanilla?

The default should still be the same as before.

55 minutes ago, RHhe82 said:

Anyway, I wonder if this has to do my Avast shenanigans as it usually breaks new executables whenever I obtain them, but for some reason DSDA no longer seems to write stats.txt upon exiting the game? Am I right to suspect Avast, or has something changed since 0.22.x?

Not sure what stats.txt is referring to, the only similar command I'm aware of is -levelstat, and I don't see anything in any of the docs/readmes that mentions a stats.txt.

13 minutes ago, Maribo said:

Not sure what stats.txt is referring to, the only similar command I'm aware of is -levelstat, and I don't see anything in any of the docs/readmes that mentions a stats.txt.

The previous version of DSDA wrote a file named stats upon completing a map (or maps) and exiting the game. This was useful (to me, not perhaps so much in speedrun point of view) because DoomLauncher I use as a frontend could read that file and record stats to its own database.

But but, now that you mention the actual cmdline parameter, it looks like I now have to manually apply -levelstat and DSDA does write a levelstat file! The format has changed a bit from what it used to be (or, what it used to output on my setup?), so I guess it's up to DoomLauncher to read it? (ping @hobomaster22 ?)

EDIT: Oh wait, if I preview the launch parameters in DoomLauncher, it's applying a following, which would explain me very clearly remembering the file was named "stats.txt" ("-levelstat" is something I manually put there after reading your message). I wonder if -statdump was some obsolete parameter that was cleaned in v0.23?

image.png.9ff2c99f58feaf575baddc3e1227486f.png

Edited by RHhe82

I removed an old predecessor to levelstat recently, since it was unmaintained and obsolete. Most likely your launcher was adding an option automatically for you to execute it.

6 minutes ago, kraflab said:

I removed an old predecessor to levelstat recently, since it was unmaintained and obsolete. Most likely your launcher was adding an option automatically for you to execute it.

Yeah, that's it. Launcher has been using that old function all along without me realizing it. D'oh. Well, I'm glad that's cleared, then.

When I implemented it I probably thought dsda-doom only had statdump because that is how Chocolate Doom specifically did it. I wasn't nearly as familiar with it as I am now. Since it supports levelstat it is an easy update. A dumb way to get around it in Doom Launcher would be to rename dsda-doom.exe to prboom.exe and update the location in Doom Launcher so it will expect the levelstat in the meantime.

When trying to run Hexen, the message "W_GetNumForName: BARBACK not found" appears. If you remove Heretic.wad from the folder with the port, then Hexen is launched. (dsda-doom v0.23)

@vaa44

I guess you are using the launcher on windows, unfortunately it only works for doom, you need to use the command line for Heretic/Hexen.

Make for example a .bat file with: dsda-doom.exe -iwad HEXEN.WAD

On 1/11/2022 at 8:40 AM, ChopBlock223 said:

It's not a particularly important point, but I do seem to vaguely recall that an eagle eyed player could theoretically line up their weapon bobbing with the intervals for damaging floors, thus gauging that timing somehow, or something such as that. It was something which I think wasn't actually useful in practice.

The peaks of the weapon Bob indicate the floor damage tic. Floor damage procs once every 30 tics.

9 hours ago, L0l1nd3r said:

The peaks of the weapon Bob indicate the floor damage tic. Floor damage procs once every 30 tics.

Right, that was it! Is that knowledge something which a player could realistically exploit?

49 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Right, that was it! Is that knowledge something which a player could realistically exploit?

You can, but it's only really relevant for reality runs, in my experience. It can save bits of health in other runs, but it's like... nothing compared to working on your dodging habits. I imagine it would add up to a decent number in a D2ALL with lots of hurt floors that have tight space between safe spots, I guess.

Has anybody experienced crashes with DSDA-Doom? I'm fairly certain it never happened to me before v0.23, but now it crashes every now and then, usually (but not everytime) when I exit a level and the game loads the next (right after the intermission screen). Once this occurred mid-level, and because I'm talking literally one time so far, I don't know if it has any relevance I was in a middle of a big ambush, which made me think if it was a sound-related issue.