Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

dsda-doom source port [v0.24.3]

hello @kraflab would you be ok with people submitting PRs for cosmetic changes to the -PRBHUD- lump?

I have something in mind (switching position between armor and health indicators in Hud #8, for now..)

Should I submit a PR to the prboom+ repository, instead?

Yes, I would submit to prboom+ for that lump. I'm not sure if it makes sense to change something that has been the same way for so long, but I'll let Fabian decide on that and pull the changes :^)

hopefully one day dsda will support loading that lump from an external WAD, so anyone will be able to freely create and distribute custom huds without resorting to editing the port's own resources..

I would open an issue on Github to track that, but.. *wink wink* 

Does it not let you replace it? Internal lumps are namespaced to reduce the chance of an accidental collision with resources from other projects, but I think you should be able to replace the lumps by namespacing it in your pwad.

Does this sequence work?

B_START

-PRBHUD-

B_END

oh god it never occured to me to check if markers were needed..

I've tried right away and indeed it does behave as expected!

Thank you!

OK I'm done editing and I feel confident enough to share the results.

This pwad provides 4 huds (with 2 variants each: stats/nostats) for use with prBoom+ or DSDA-Doom:

1.     default boom hud
  2.     distributed boom hud
  3.     modern layout (txt)
  4.     modern layout (gfx)

The first two are replicas of the built-in DSDA-DOOM huds #2 and #4
I've added them so people can go back to the classic huds without removing this pwad from their autoload folder

The last two are modern reinterpretation of the distributed hud.
They're for people that are accustomed to the current fps standards,

where the player status/arsenal/performance indicators are placed in their dedicated corner of the screen.

USAGE:
add this mod in your autoload folder
in case you're playing a pwad that provides its own "-PRBHUD-" lump, add DSDAHUD.WAD at THE END of your load order
dsda-doom.exe -iwad "/path/to/DOOM2.WAD" -file "/path/to/D2TWID.WAD" "/path/to/BLACKOPS.PK3" "/path/to/DSDAHUD.WAD"

COMPATIBILITY:
engine: any port that support the "-PRBHUD-" lump (only PRBOOM+ and DSDA-DOOM, currently)
games: DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD, TNT.WAD, PLUTONIA.WAD
pwad: it should be compatible with any dehacked/dehextra mod already supported by prboom+ and dsda-doom

TESTED DEHACKED/DEHEXTRA MODS:
- "Minicharge" by Tango
- "BlackOps" by VGA
- "D4V" by Noiser

CREDITS:
all PrBoom+ and DSDA-Doom developers
TeamTNT for the inspiration

DOWNLOAD:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/fmfpzvtw1lma7n9/dsdaHUD%2B.7z/file

SCREENSHOTS:

default layout

https://i.postimg.cc/zfYCSrLL/default-stats.jpg

distributed layout
https://i.postimg.cc/Bv5xmVDm/distributed-stats.jpg

modern TXT layout
https://i.postimg.cc/fLwYpffD/modern-stats.jpg

modern GFX layout
https://i.postimg.cc/bJ31hSmb/moderngfx-stats.jpg

ENJOY!

and if you're more of a GZDoom person, check out boomHUD+

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75613

Edited by Delfino Furioso : uploaded version 2022.06.14

@Delfino Furioso Is it possible to add ammo counters to the advanced HUD? For instance, in your HUD #2, there would be 4 lines showing bullets, shells, rockets, and cells above your weapon stats at the bottom right.

5 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

@Delfino Furioso Is it possible to add ammo counters to the advanced HUD? For instance, in your HUD #2, there would be 4 lines showing bullets, shells, rockets, and cells above your weapon stats at the bottom right.

This is actually the feature I've thought all variants of Advanced HUD are unfortunately missing. The slots get color coded, but I really value the status bar's visibility of exactly how much you have for each type. Would be cool to see it in another variant.

It'd also be great to be able to draw the doomguy mugshots somewhere as well, though I imagine there's not much demand for it.

1 hour ago, Maribo said:

This is actually the feature I've thought all variants of Advanced HUD are unfortunately missing. The slots get color coded, but I really value the status bar's visibility of exactly how much you have for each type. Would be cool to see it in another variant.

I would use the advanced hud if it showed me the exact ammo I have, having crispy doom hud would be really cool too :P

image.png.b9909bfe2e9369aaf44d7f99b8aff4ea.png

3 hours ago, maxmanium said:

It'd also be great to be able to draw the doomguy mugshots somewhere as well, though I imagine there's not much demand for it.

I think that would be huge, the face is relevant gameplay information that's lacking from almost all HUDs. There's GZDoom of course and Crispy/Nugget have options for a HUD with face but I'd love to make the "arms" segment a smaller horizontal line like the PRBoom HUDs, maybe stick it above the ammo count if possible, and put the face next to the health percentage where "arms" used to be. Sticking the face in the middle of the fullscreen weapon sprite looks odd to me. I think this approach could look especially nice in the "distributed" HUD mode. How difficult would something like that be in a port like DSDA (or Woof/Crispy)?

4 minutes ago, El juancho said:

It works on my PC, you need to have doom 2 iwad + the wad on the same folder

I just tried it and you are right, it seems that the launcher that I use causes an error. Thank you!

Got a pretty unhelpful error message. I figured out the problem was with UMAPINFO, but message itself is unhelpful (And description too, as it refers to period instead of comma being there). Should I ask anyone to make this error more helpful?

unknown.png

Since it's coming from the umapinfo parser, which is shared by multiple ports, I would recommend potentially asking about this in the PR+ thread. I'm totally unfamiliar with that code, as it's essentially an external library in dsda-doom.

Is there any way to speed up the screen melt? If not, i would like it to be an option in the next update.

56 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

There's an option to disable the screen melt entirely if you'd prefer that.

That would make doing demos way harder :P

Anyone know when 0.25 will be released? Also, I was wondering if there are any good step by step guides out there that explain how to build DSDA Doom. Would appreciate any suggestions!

0.25 is in alpha testing right now. It's unstable and buggy as many portions of the code base have been refactored. It will be released when it's done.

Not sure if this is an easy question to field or not, but does disabling bob have an impact on demo recording? DSDA doesn't force it on for complevel 2 but woof seems to do that. Just confused and wondering if I need to get used to having viewbob on for recording complevel 2 demos or not.

47 minutes ago, grendelw said:

Not sure if this is an easy question to field or not, but does disabling bob have an impact on demo recording?

Since v0.23.0, no. Source: patch notes here.

You're free to set view bobbing and weapon bobbing to whichever settings you want, regardless of casual play or demo recording. :)

8 minutes ago, Maribo said:

Since v0.23.0, no. Source: patch notes here.

You're free to set view bobbing and weapon bobbing to whichever settings you want, regardless of casual play or demo recording. :)

Nice! thank you!

Not sure if it's worth bringing up here, but I've got a corrupted savegame while playing jumpwad map07 on dsda 0.24.3 (and it costed me an hour of progress :( ). I think it's the first time I got one so I'm not sure how frequently they happen and if it's something wad-specific.

dsda-doom-savegame999.zip

A couple other people had a save corruption problem on jumpwad map 7, so something is definitely messed up. It's a strange error, because it means that something in the save file is looking for an object that doesn't exist in the save file (like if it stored a monster that is targeting a monster that doesn't exist). It either means there is an error in choosing what things to put into the save file, or some kind of edge case in parsing the file itself. I haven't looked into it yet but thanks for the report - it helps to confirm specifically map 7 is where the problem happens.

On 5/28/2022 at 1:23 PM, kraflab said:

0.25 is in alpha testing right now. It's unstable and buggy as many portions of the code base have been refactored. It will be released when it's done.

Do you think you might get a chance to look at FLAC-playback as well? I reported a few issues I've had with it a while back, and it would be great if you could get it working in future releases.

Post #1:

There seems to be a problem with the "Roland SC-55 Music Packs" (FLAC) for every Doom-engine game, where a small part of the beginning of the audio tracks play twice in a row.

Secondly, the audio tracks don't loop perfectly in DSDA-Doom like they do in GZDoom, but simply restart after fading.

Lastly, I also had to export the audio tracks from the original .PK3-archive into a .WAD-archive to make them play in DSDA-Doom to begin with.

Post #2:

By the way, I think the reason for the FLAC audio not looping might have something to do with DSDA-Doom not supporting metadata loop tags for seamless looping playback, as stated on the "Roland SC-55 Music Packs" website.

Thanks!