Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMagicMushroomMan

What was the lowest point in your mapping career?

I don't think I ever had a proper embarrassing beginner phase because I was playing Doom since the ninties and read a lot about mapping before I got an idea so good I tried to make it and by then the tools were good and I knew a lot of theory.

I guess the only really bad thing I did was literally when I was making my first map and I for some reason thought doomguy was like 128 units tall and by the time I realized by mistake it was too late to fix. And the map was supposed to have a lot of verticality, if you one of the three and a half players to played my Hell Frontier wad, that concept became the Flesh Mines.

So by the time I gave up on this project, I was so thoroughly traumatized that whenever I make an area where it's possible to walk 128 units straight and not hit anything, or has vertically tiling textures I'm having a panic attack.

There are a couple of maps I half-assed and don't think there's anything to be proud of, like my contribution to 2048 units of vr which was made in 3 hours because I didn't want to be left out and couldn't think of anything better, but it's at least functional.

My lowest point seems to be right now, since I am not mapping at all. Have all sorts of other shit to do and can't really find the will to get back into mapping. Gotta fix some life stuff first and then hopefully the joy of mapping will come back. :(

A "jokewad" I made back in 2008, I won't say its name. It was truly a crime, absolutely tasteless, broken, terrible in quality, riddled with pointless plagiarism, bad writing and horrendous map design.

I was that kind of teenager back then, these things happen.

I like to think that at least now I've redeemed myself with the new things I've done since my return.

Probably all the early and horrible shit I made as a teen, I put a lot of effort into making stuff look nice, but the level design itself was so remarkably uninspired and bland.

Probably right now. I'm sitting on a nice collection of maps, some large and adventurous, some small and punchy. They're all about 95% finished or more. I simply don't have the time to do any significant work on them. I'm a robot that works and sleeps.

I need to get them out the door before hardware failure claims them. I think I would quite literally quit mapping forever if that should happen.

On 11/23/2020 at 5:34 AM, Marisa Kirisame said:

A "jokewad" I made back in 2008, I won't say its name. It was truly a crime, absolutely tasteless, broken, terrible in quality, riddled with pointless plagiarism, bad writing and horrendous map design.

I was that kind of teenager back then, these things happen.

I like to think that at least now I've redeemed myself with the new things I've done since my return.

HAHA, tell me about it!

I even went through this stage when I had terrible mappers block 15 or so years ago and was in a silly mood.

The last 13 years unfortunately. my last released WAD title was supposed to be ironic... but it became the truth, even with a few modest attempts here and there. Unfortunately I've been having less and less time to do the things I did as a teenager. 

The first "WAD" I tried to make was called "simo.wad" and at the moment is safely saved in my PC and I suspect that it will never, ever be published anywhere.

Back in time I was playing Chillax and I was quite upset with the lack of ammunition of that WAD but I loved the giant slaughter gameplay. So I thought "I can make my own Chillax style WAD with the proper amount of ammunition".

I opened DoomBuilder, copy-pasted every single level of the original Doom and added in every map a stupid amount of enemies without any criteria. I remember that I was incredibly proud when I found the way to add the Doom2 monsters to that WAD, and having that I had absolutely no idea about how the hitbox of the monsters works there were like 100 stucked enemies in any map, but I was proud of it.

E1M8 in particular was a giant blasphemy where I removed every enemy, managed to somehow create some new switches and then added like 100 IOSs in order to create a "survival switch hunt to the exit" map, and again I was proud of it.

The worst part of all of this is that I still play it sometimes.

i remember thinking "hey, i should take some of my first maps and put them in a megawad!" but after I made some better quality maps, I soon realized just how bad my first maps were...

i also remember thinking that firefight was going to be my "ultimate project" [as i always think when I am on a new and big project]. but I'm getting better, currently I am working on an awesome map called "Triumph of the Guard", its medieval themed.

i am also importing 3d models into my map too, but I cant find out how to put more than one model in a pk3, so there is 1 pk3 for every model, a minor nuisance but nothing big.

but i am definitely not at my lowest right now, actually I'm at the highest I have ever been, so its all uphill from here, at least in my eyes it is......

On 11/29/2020 at 9:11 PM, Megalyth said:

Probably right now. I'm sitting on a nice collection of maps, some large and adventurous, some small and punchy. They're all about 95% finished or more. I simply don't have the time to do any significant work on them. I'm a robot that works and sleeps.

I need to get them out the door before hardware failure claims them. I think I would quite literally quit mapping forever if that should happen.

Are ya mappin son?

how's it going so far?

having my friend draw this for my jokewad i made last year

nofunwadart_haha.png

Edited by Skootroot

What mapping career? My mapping career is dead. I haven't released a map in almost 11 years. But I've got some great ideas, and I know the right people... now, I'll make things happen, and I'll be back at the top. The Cacowards will be renamed to the, uh, matt-o-wards. John Romero and me will be best buddies.

In all seriousness, I really need to work on turning my hypothetical Doom projects into reality. Then I can rule the world.

On 11/29/2020 at 6:11 PM, Megalyth said:

use dropbox or something, make backups!!!

Probably when I finished this (what I thought) was a really cool layout and then I tried to put monsters in it and it was... it was awful. Played badly, had this big "enter a room and the bad guys are right there" thing going on; just wasn't fun. Had to can the whole thing after working on it on and off for months. Bits will probably get reused but I don't want to touch it for a while as it stands. 

I2Qhlya.png

On the plus side, my next layout got geometry and placement done in a couple of days. So learned a lot about what works for me doing this. 

For me its finishing one level and just getting massive mappers block over it. I either remove it or just delete it and pretend to never look back on it.weeks of a map I gave up on

Lowest point? Archvile in front of spawn, exit switch in front of Arch. No room to move or dodge. And the Floor damages you. Can't get any worse than that I'm afraid, at least from my end. lmao. It was never meant to be taken serious. I still ask myself why would I create such an abomination??

Screenshot_Doom_20190711_184209.png.5586c36d214820b7f5de123b062f27a0.png