Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr.Ferret

Is it just me or does doom eternal not seem like doom at all?

I recently played doom eternal and it feels... off. It is a decent game but it does not feel like the doom I know and love. Unlike doom 2016, doom eternal has a bunch of difficult platforming and you have to use your chainsaw to get ammo ALL the time. Not to mention the max amount of ammo is not that much at all for this game. You also have to constantly switch weapons which I don’t like. It just doesn’t feel like a doom game.

1 hour ago, Maes said:

...and once again, people act all surprised when they discover that new "Doom" games don't play like an officially-developed uber-source port, after all.

Then Again....

How can any game after doom 2 match the hypnotic gameplay provided by chasing the ass of the cyberdemon

?

personally i love both doom eternal and classic doom only if i had the pc to run eternal i have a crappy intel laptop lol

There is no way that a game released in 2020 is going to be anything like a game released in 1993. Technology, the game creation process, marketing, and so on will have moved on significantly since then. So I had no expectations that DE was going to feel like the classics. How could it?

I think a lot of people who complain about DE "not feeling like Doom", fail to realise that a lot of the things which felt fresh in Doom at the time it was released, are now seriously old hat. Space marines? An immersive first-person perspective? Done a thousand times now. What would actually distinguish an HD remake of the classics in a market flooded with FPS titles already?

As @NoXion say's, new games for old franchises, aim to move on gameplay and technology. If anything, they moving to other style, helps the indie niche scenes, as they can make a game that's their take on the Doom formula, and play with that rules, knowing that's there fanbase to buy, instead of making a new style of game.

You should check game that aim for that like Dusk, or Prodeus!

I like the new style they are going for the newer games, the way it focuses on movement and what not, that and it also is inspired by Quake

I'd argue the new games are just a very creative or unexpected take on Doom: Not just the games themselves but also the many interpretations and misinterpretations from the public or fanbase.

The games themselves may not really admit that, even though it wouldn't hurt at all.

Because even the Doom comic feels misrepresented and you might think both some 4chan screenshot and Death Battle are the true roots of Doomslayer's character, if you tried to build a more accurate timeline or graphic for the events.

Doom's identity was also weird or silly in some ways, so it's natural most just didn't take it seriously.

But taking it "seriously" is how you got mods and wads that try to feel like "alternate" sequels and dedicated fans trying to learn more info or trivia, like how some assets were made.

It's that kind of fanbase that feels like part of the series, from source ports, accessibilty, documentation, preservation to even "expanding" Doom like refering to the main character as "Doomguy".

Even if Doom has some "cultural osmosis"/Mandella effect/flanderization/game-of-telephone/second hand info etc type of cases that affected the series.

Some "boomers" still think Always_run is a vanilla feature, for example.

These games are an evolution of the FPS genre, after the slow and boring 7th gen shooters but whether or not they improve upon the originals is always for debate.

Like the absense of a "true" armor system or how some enemies worked because of the engine and level encounters.

In some ways, these games "not being like Doom" may be less of a "doesn't need to" and more of a "can't do it", due to some new limitations, so a lot of decisions are solutions to new problems.

I feel like if id ever wanted to do a "true return to the roots", we could have had an indie retro game like Prodeus or Wrath but about Doom, starring some people from the community, like mappers, modders and source port devs.

Mostly because they're technically a more relevant or even "valuable" core of the fanbase than the more "brand loyal" or "loud" portions you find in r/Doom.

I say this because Doom in itself was "small scale" since it's a smaller game from a smaller theme from its time.

I guess a reason why people want these games to be "more like Doom" is because it could potentially make Doom's identity stronger, specially if you thought the Praetor suit makes Doomguy have a bit more in common with Master Chief than before.

You look at how the Archvile actually behaved or some obscure textures and think "not many games have this, do they?".

I also feel like nobody would really mind if even a spin-off was another different take in the series, because experimentation might as well be part of Doom.

Meaning there could be something wrong if these new games see themselves as "the true Doom" as if they were fixing a problem that was never there. (since the lack of a universe might as well benefitted Doom's longevity and some elements that even lead to these games)

Doom is more of a brush and canvas, not a painting.

I also feel like if a Doom game tried to be "more Doom", even the people telling some contrarians or entitled fans to shut up would even like it or think "oh yeah, the way how armor worked in 2016/Eternal is kinda weird".

I guess another reason why Doom is officially "not as Doom anymore" is probably because the fanbase existed as an unofficial expansion of Doom, that even making some more accurate HD models of classic designs would be like "ripping off the fanbase", since some used to say the glory kills rip off Brutal Doom.

Yet not many pointed out the fire themed Baron.

I guess taking something from some mods might as well be a more accurate version of "the Doom universe fans wanted" than make "rip and tear" the most used phrase.

Doom Eternal feels nothing like classic Doom. It is loyal to a lot of classic Doom stuff, though. For me, personally, I like the horror element to DOOM games. Eternal seems to have maybe 2% in that field. That doesn't mean Eternal isn't great, because it really is. But it's not classic Doom or horror Doom.

For me, a perfect Doom would be like classic DOOM with PS1, D64 and D3 horror and would keep the "demons" more mysterious. That adds to the horror. Part of what made me love DOOM as a kid, was the way it was not quite clear what or where these invading forces came from. They were from Hell sure, clearly they are demons, but the beauty was it was never explored beyond the obvious Christian Hell. Eternal now gives so much back story and we even have a history of angels/maykrs now so the mysterious "horror element" is completely gone. Eternal is its own thing. And its great. I love it. But I'd like to see more classic Doom with those horror elements return for a new game in the future.

7 hours ago, Dr.Ferret said:

I recently played doom eternal and it feels... off. It is a decent game but it does not feel like the doom I know and love. Unlike doom 2016, doom eternal has a bunch of difficult platforming and you have to use your chainsaw to get ammo ALL the time. Not to mention the max amount of ammo is not that much at all for this game. You also have to constantly switch weapons which I don’t like. It just doesn’t feel like a doom game.

This is how I felt when I started playing, as did many people, but if you stick with it you'll learn the mechanics and the game really starts to shine. Just keep at it. Also don't be afraid to turn down the difficulty, especially if you're playing on UV. Even ITYTD is difficult, at least to me.

5 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

DE reminds me of Quake and not Doom actually

That's how I felt about Doom 2016 when I first played it. I actually didn't enjoy that game at first, I had to come back to it several times before I began to enjoy it, and now I think it's brilliant. I still haven't played Eternal but whenever I see footage of it I am reminded of Metroid Prime. Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing, I love MP.

5 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

DE reminds me of Quake and not Doom actually

When you realize Doomguy killed Shub-Niggurath and took control of the slipgate technology between D2016 and DE

4 hours ago, The BMFG said:

personally i love both doom eternal and classic doom only if i had the pc to run eternal i have a crappy intel laptop lol

The struggle is real, This is the only reason i discovered doom quake and other games.

14 minutes ago, Sunnyfruit said:

When you realize Doomguy killed Shub-Niggurath and took control of the slipgate technology between D2016 and DE

I like to think he bumped into Ranger at some point.

Of course it's Doom, it says so in the title lol

Recycling the same game over and over with a fresh coat of paint sounds like something the sports games would do, you've got an infinite wealth of mods if you want more of the classic games, let them do their thing, at least they're bringing something new to the table.

The increased advanced movement, platforming, traps and stylish combat makes the game feel closer to a DMC-like action-adventure but it's an FPS.

Like others have said, modern Doom games are more reminiscent of a style rather than a direct imitation. There's basics of Doom in there (movement as a defense, guns, monsters, etc.) but it's a brand new game over 20 years later by completely different developers. 

The Marauder would absolutely be a Romero idea if he was still at id, though.

On 11/13/2020 at 8:47 PM, BunnyWithBeans said:

The Marauder would absolutely be a Romero idea if he was still at id, though.

The Maraurder seems like something made specifically with the modern "Doom dance" and the Sentinel lore in mind.

Unless you mean it in Quake.

Like a Death Knight that also takes something from Hexen's centaurs.

But the idea of a "rival" could be like Quake 3's bot matches where a character is either "Hell creates an evil copy of you" or even some UAC guy that just became used against you.

Then again, i can see demonic knights in OG Doom fit, since Doom 2 came up with skeletons with shoulder mounted rockets and ogre-like beasts with arm cannons.

Basically, if some enemies in 2 never existed, we wouldn't think of some of them fitting in Hell, but Doom established Hell being a weird mix of stuff.

Althought this could have happened in a timeline where the Raven id games or Quake would be directly tied to Doom.

Speaking of the Mancubus, his original mechanic of shooting 2 fireballs at the same time could have had an upgrade in the new games, where vertical aiming would be involved.

So he could have some more different firing patterns where one fireball goes directly to the front but the other is slightly above or even below.