Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

The Top 5 Custom Monsters

We know custom monsters, and some of us love them. I love them, so I decided, "Why not rip off the Sector Boat post and replace it with custom monsters?".

Anyways, I won't be going over Realm667 monsters, all of these are from Boom and Limit-Removing wads.

#5: Deathmatch Marines

Scythe 2, MAP31.

doom05.png.e0028259b5ed19cd0aa570165911e147.png

These guys are evil, fast and good at deathmatching, being experience in strafing and using the Plasma Rifle. Sadly, because of how absolutely evil and hard to kill they are, they'll be staying at number 5.

#4: Afrits

Scythe 2

doom06.png.ba879b83300456a4a9cd481b857283f8.png

The Afrit, a bullet-sponge beast that will destroy you with revenant rockets and mancubus fireballs. Very evil and hard to kill, and sort of represents Scythe 2 in general. Too mean for #3, but enough to be on the list.

#3: Arachnorbs

Valiant

doom08.png.3d3ea17798392ba93dce733154cbd0e3.png

Valiant, a megawad well known for it's custom monsters. The Arachnorb is a weird monster that floats and fires plasma, and it has a 50% chance to spawn when an Arachnotron dies, having it leave the walking apparatus. This custom monster also inspired the Arachnorb Queen at Realm667, which is the same, but instead a Spiderdemon. I like the Arachnorb, but not enough to put it at #2 or #1.

#2: The Super-Vile

Valiant, MAP30

doom09.png.dc7010c5316ae8a3c02e6b2383ce4b65.png

The final boss of Valiant, the ultimate challenge, the Tall Blue Torch, which became the ultimate Arch-Vile of all time. An absolutely evil monstrocity, masterminding the morbid "Project Valiant". Kill it and put an end to the bioengineered, cybernetic apocalypse.

Honorable Mentions

Super Imp

Valiant

doom11.png.4e76a52a918cfb4fe8d937efc6e6fa89.png

Kamikaze

Valiant

doom12.png.94db2a290b6726a3df4f3d1439e6d10b.png

Alien Guardian

Ancient Aliens

doom13.png.a8a78baad3c795f3d5b161c7f81d0d64.png

The Ultimate Gatekeeper

Plutonia 2, MAP30

Note: Not entirely custom, but custom enough to get an honorable mention.

doom10.png.b0dc33d478f421353042f70e43d14a39.png

#1: The Hive Mother

Sunder

doom07.png.379bcf56f1f6ed1a5cc829146b8d7cda.png

To be honest, I had a hard time deciding whether to put either Wasp-Woman or Skillsaw's Monster here, but after thinking about it for a while, I decided that the Hive Mother deserves this spot. It has so much potential, has well made sprites, is a challenge, and is just cool. I wonder why it doesn't appear in MAP14 (Hive Mother), since it's literally named "Hive Mother". It must have inspired it probably. I hope it appears in more maps, and I wished Ribbiks did something like this for Sunlust. I believe this is one of the best custom monsters ever.

So that's the list, I hope you guys liked it, please comment about anything I might have missed.

Completely disagree with the Afrit, especially Scythe 2's incarnation as it's a floating damage sponge and screw all damage sponge enemies. Later megawads that use Afrit at least tone down its health.

No Eviternity enemies makes me quite sad.

There's going to be alot of people disagreeing over the inclusion of the marine...

Scythe 2's customs monsters are atrocious to blind plays. They are just beyond Doom. Resurgence did a way better job to use the exact same mons but toned down to a reasonable level. I guess that's why later WADs don't do over-the-top custom monsters in general.

20 minutes ago, ‹rd› said:

All Hell is Breaking Loose has some great ones

t81PrPb.gif

Remember the ones who flip the finger after they die?

4 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

OP, didn't you just post yesterday that you haven't played Scythe 2 yet?

Uh, maybe?

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

Plutonia 2 doesn't have custom monsters...

Eh, I just thought that the Gatekeeper looked pretty cool, but I think I'll replace it sometime.

6 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

Completely disagree with the Afrit, especially Scythe 2's incarnation as it's a floating damage sponge and screw all damage sponge enemies. Later megawads that use Afrit at least tone down its health.

No Eviternity enemies makes me quite sad.

what i wrote here sums up my thoughts on scythe2 afrits and marines: they could have been better. there are some more very good posts:

overall, i'm more for a "glass cannon" approach like in valiant, ancient aliens and eviternity.

see for example the pinky in valiant. not only does that eyeless creature with mechanical legs look more frightening, it doesn't have the delay between opening its mouth and biting. so they'll rip a chunk out of you as soon as they get close. i really treated them as enemies instead as roadblocks (especially after the red key in map05)

valiant imp: dumb, slow creature. maybe you hurt yourself outrunning its fireballs and catching them. ok, we'll see about this when you eat 2 of its quick shots.

eviternity astral caco: holy shit, get the plasma gun / bfg out as soon as you hear it scream.

I love custom monsters! My favorite is probably the Pyro Knight (Valiant), it have some really cool attacks and it's also a lot more interesting to fight compared to regular barons\knights.

41 minutes ago, Noiser said:

I love custom monsters! My favorite is probably the Pyro Knight (Valiant), it have some really cool attacks and it's also a lot more interesting to fight compared to regular barons\knights.

I really wanted to include him actually, but I couldn't get a good picture of him. He would probably be at #3, and as such take the Afrit's place and replace Mr. X.

The Scythe 2 ones are still my favourites, maybe because they were the first I ran into and I'm more used to them than others, I don't know. Not really big on the Arachnorbs, or at least not them spawning from dead Arachnotrons. It's cool I guess, but I never felt like it added much to the gameplay. I haven't played Sunder, but the Hive Mother certainly looks impressive.

- Caco replacement in zanspid.wad (128 HP, faster attack)

- Lost soul in strain (counts towards monster kill %, less dumb)

- Final boss in spectrum.wad (much more dynamic than spider mastermind)

- These pain-elemental like creatures in Mordeth with a different colour, spitting homing "ghosts"]

- Killer Croc (?) in Batman Doom

plus, 

- I have a soft spot for bazooka troopers from Obituary

I thought about 5 minutes about this post, so it may not be the most accurate ranking of mine. Skillsaw's monster replacements are usually awesome, but I didn't play his WADs so much so they are not that memorable for me, if that sentence makes any sense.