Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CBM

best operating system for kids

I am thinking about what OS to install on my kids upcoming PC

I am thinking about either edubuntu (https://www.edubuntu.org/) or skolelinux (https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=skolelinux)

plus linux has the advantage of having free access to minecraft (https://www.howtogeek.com/198476/how-to-install-minecraft-on-ubuntu-or-any-other-linux-distribution/)

however, minetest is also available for linux (https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/install-minetest-on-linux/)

what do you guys think?

my kid is 9 but mentally he is much closer to 4-6 years old, due to autism, adhd and cognitive challenges...

regarding the case... as discussed in another thread...

I'm going to build his PC in an older ATX case that is more sturdy than a modern gaming case.

but should I install a flavor of linux? and if so, which one? or should I just install something like Windows XP IE or Windows 10 ?

I would go with Windows personally, just for the sake of having compatibility with the highest number of games/common programs. When I was small, I found Windows very easy to use. Granted it was 3.1/95 at the time so the UI has changed, but a lot of the fundamentals remain the same, so hopefully despite his cognitive challenges he will also find it somewhat usable. It's possible to password protect most internet browsers if necessary, in case him getting onto the internet and finding weird stuff is of concern. I'd be curious to hear what some of the local parents have to say about this one though!

When i was a kid, the operating system really don't bother me, only if the stuff was always password look. Because all theses OS had Word, Power Point and games. But for sake of easy, Windows should be great, there also posibble to password protect .exes too, to not being downloading freeroblox.exe

I recommend just installing Windows for the sake of simplicity. Thoufh I bet there are some linux distros though that can be user friendly.

Edited by PSI Boredom Ω

And why not a dualboot? I mean, install Win10 and the gnu/linux distro that you want, and when it boots you can choose what OS you want to boot.

49 minutes ago, URROVA said:

And why not a dualboot? I mean, install Win10 and the gnu/linux distro that you want, and when it boots you can choose what OS you want to boot.

no need to add complexity

7 minutes ago, silentzorah said:

DOS.  Kids love it.

LOL

Yeah, go with Windows. I used it my whole life and it has almost always worked fine.

I think I will start him off with an older system.. an athlon64 with 2 GB memory, a radeon X600 256 MB AGP, a 256 GB SSD, a USB wifi dongle and windows xp integrated edition (updated with latest 2020 patches)

that way, if he destroys that system, then it will be a much smaller loss than it would otherwise be and it can use old ps/2 mouse and keyboard

then he can later be upgraded to a ryzen system if needed

still a lot of stuff that can run on such a system

5 hours ago, CBM said:

or should I just install something like Windows XP IE or Windows 10 ?

Some games won't work on Windows XP since it's old.

1 minute ago, AinuTheTaken said:

Some games won't work on Windows XP since it's old.

true and it is 32 bit, but many games will work.. such as minetest (open source minecraft clone)

Windows, if you go for Linux then you can kiss goodbye to many games that are not compatible with them, and I think you do care about that, since you just asked for recommendations recently.

No, Wine et al doesn't count...

Be prepared to format often though. At his age I constantly broke OS installations until I reached a decent level to use it without breaking everything in sight.

1 hour ago, URROVA said:

Cause he's a kid. I dont think hes gonna be dualbooting anytime soon

As for which Windows in particular... I am personally a Windows 7 kid.

25 minutes ago, DSC said:

As for which Windows in particular... I am personally a Windows 7 kid.

Im hoping for an unofficial windows 7 integral edition at some point similar to windows xp integral edition

or the move to complete opensource for all windows versions by microsoft

Edited by CBM

DOS. Nothing beats some obtuse command line to get kids to actually learn how a computer works.

If you're willing to overcome the learning curve of learning about a dozen bash commands for the terminal and how package managers work, you stand to gain a lot running Linux on low-end hardware.

I have a crappy 4gb memory burner laptop and my Endeavour XFCE build runs at ~350-400mb idle memory and boots in 10-15 seconds on it. My Windows 10 build on the other hand easily eats 1.5-2gb idle memory and takes minutes to boot. I hardly boot to Windows anymore on that laptop.

Also, gaming as of like 2018 on Linux is a lot better. Programs like Proton, Wine, and Lutris make running Windows games on Linux pretty seamless. I'm playing Overwatch and Death Stranding (Windows-only games) at 100fps+ without issue, for example.

There's also something to be said about the fact that, if this is for your child, there's a much less likely chance that he'll accidentally download/install something malicious on Linux. No 9-year-old is extracting tarballs or cloning git repositories and pkgbuilding, lol. You'll have much more control and less worry over his computer.

Also it's free :D

1 hour ago, Serum said:

If you're willing to overcome the learning curve of learning about a dozen bash commands for the terminal and how package managers work, you stand to gain a lot running Linux on low-end hardware.

~$ echo Bash commands rocks!

Windows XP, any variant, will potentially cause compatibility issues. You will have to go back to earlier versions of things like browsers.

DOS... funny but seriously, no.

If you have a Windows 7, 8 or 10 key, install Windows 10. Password protect the main admin account and create a second user just for him with limited permissions. Windows is fully configurable. It can be as simple as you like. It will probably be perfectly fine with an SSD but you should get more RAM if possible.

Ubuntu/Edubuntu can definitely be pleasantly simple so that is an option. 

If performance is a concern then something like LinuxMint is a good option because it's about as light as you can get while still being able to do things like run an up to date web browser.

9 hours ago, Gez said:

DOS. Nothing beats some obtuse command line to get kids to actually learn how a computer works.

I started the same way

but

I doubt my kid will be able to learn dos

-----

but yes a lightweight linux (mint?) on an older system might be a good way to start him off on his IT adventure

Then I have an i7-6700k based system for him when he is ready

My other systems:

Ryzen 5 2600 + nochtua cooler + B450 asus mainboard + 4x8 GB corsair DDR4 3200 + palit GTX1080 + intel NVME SSD + 850w Corsair PSU

in a gxt case -> main rig

Ryzen 3 3200g + stock cooler + a320 asus mainboard + 2x8 GB noname DDR4 2400 + 650w corsair psu

in a sharkoon case, to be used with kryoflux USB floppy controller

Ryzen 3 2200g + stock cooler + a320 asrock mainboard + 2x8 GB noname DDR4 2400 + thermaltake? 600w? psu

in an old case with no side panel, intended for the summerhouse

Edited by CBM