Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

The ULTIMATE Master WAD Guide

This is quite the list. I hope this post gets some good attention so that newcomers can use this post well!

7 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Geezus. Straight outta hell this.

Cozy if you asked me ;)

5 minutes ago, Mr Masker said:

This is quite the list. I hope this post gets some good attention so that newcomers can use this post well!

Thank you! Over 6000 words and 18 pages on Word, I did my best :D

Just now, Endless said:

Thank you! Over 6000 words and 18 pages on Word, I did my best :D

Jesus, 6000 words!? Definitly shows how vast doom modding truly is.

2 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Epic effort my friend. Also LOL @ chaotic evil

You could say, a mad effort ;) Thanks mate.

1 hour ago, Endless said:

Doom the way id did lost episode

Craving for some more Hell knights to shotgun till the end of times? 

Just pointing it out

16 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Nice guide, although the first twenty maps in Scythe 2 are anything but tough as nails. Most of the first half is barely a challenge.

I beg to differ, because even the first levels kicked my arse quite a bit ;P

9 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Excellent work, Endless. An incredibly useful guide for newcomers.

Glad to hear that mate! here you can guide some victims to fall into our Doom addiction ;)

6 minutes ago, Redead-ITA said:

Just pointing it out

Exactly what? Maybe it gets lost in my eyes.

Your "vanilla compatible" list seems to include a Boom/MBF WAD and a ZDoom WAD. Also, you've got two of the same picture in your ASS composite. Otherwise, nice work! Feels pretty comprehensive, whilst also somehow only being a taster for what Doom is!

1 minute ago, Phobus said:

Your "vanilla compatible" list seems to include a Boom/MBF WAD and a ZDoom WAD. Also, you've got two of the same picture in your ASS composite. Otherwise, nice work! Feels pretty comprehensive, whilst also somehow only being a taster for what Doom is!

I should improve the description of that section a bit; in itself, my goal with the list of ''vanilla'' is not only to offer WADs that are vanilla compatible but also those that are already considered as ''classic pillars'' of the community. Not just pure vanilla-compatible. Sorry about that!

Also, you've got two of the same picture in your ASS composite

Haha, I lol'ed. Sorry about that mistake. Will fix ASAP.

31 minutes ago, Endless said:

I should improve the description of that section a bit; in itself, my goal with the list of ''vanilla'' is not only to offer WADs that are vanilla compatible but also those that are already considered as ''classic pillars'' of the community. Not just pure vanilla-compatible. Sorry about that!

Why didn't you choose another term? Like "Quintessential", "Must play", "Groundbreaking" or even just "Classic". I find it weird to use an already well-established term for something else.

Nice list btw, it's always nice to read you. It reminds me that I need to play more and clear my backlog D:

Edited by Worm318

27 minutes ago, Worm318 said:

Why didn't you choose another term? Like "Quintessential", "Must play", "Groundbreaking" or even just "Classic". I find it weird to use an already well-established term for something else.

Agree.

Also, I found quite a few typos and grammatical errors, I'll list them all for you in a bit. And for your "Trinity College" column, most people would refer to that as "Doomcute", not "Cute-Doom".

Inb4 people complain about the Doom Wiki again.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

What was the criteria for something being here? I don't see where you explain the choices because there's still tons more megawads and stuff not here that are pretty significant, like Valiant for example.

48 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I have around thirty more but DW won't allow me to upload any more images

I suggest use something like imgur or other freely available picture hosting place for screenshots. It saves forum provided space for map releases or demos.

A really cool collection of starter wads, though I would've opted to put BtSX front and center for the ways it focuses on both new & oldschool stuff. Still, a really handy list for anyone yearning to jump into the world of Doom mapping!

3 minutes ago, Misty said:

I suggest use something like imgur or other freely available picture hosting place for screenshots. It saves forum provided space for map releases or demos.

I already planned on doing this, but I need to wait for my shitty wifi to start working better. Thank you though.

2 hours ago, Worm318 said:

Nice list btw, it's always nice to read you. It reminds me that I need to play more and clear my backlog D:

Classic! Yes that's the right word for it. Will improve that.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

What was the criteria for something being here? I don't see where you explain the choices because there's still tons more megawads and stuff not here that are pretty significant, like Valiant for example.

Remember, this is not a ''top ten'' nor a ''best of'' and not a ''ranking'' list of any kind. This is mostly a, you guessed, guide of mine that I believe works well as an introductory step into the wonderful Doom world of WADs.

In over 26 years of Doom, there is an absurdly fantastic amount of WADs out there. This list works as an introduction to anyone new (or even veteran) to the world of community-created content. Hence why I opted for naming it ''Guide'' instead of ''top... best of... my favorites... etc''. I'm not trying to tell anyone what's the best out there, but just trying to help anyone decide what to play if they're just getting into the massive WAD world.

1 hour ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Anyway, here are some errors I spotted:

Reveal hidden contents

I have around thirty more but DW won't allow me to upload any more images.

20201116_200731.jpg

20201116_200811.jpg

20201116_200921.jpg

20201116_201007.jpg

20201116_201057.jpg

20201116_201141.jpg

20201116_201222.jpg

20201116_201357.jpg

20201116_201455.jpg

20201116_201534.jpg

Well damn. I can't say anything other than my English sucks. Some typos I can see them clearly, but other grammatical errors I can't even see what I did wrong. I will try to improve that.

27 minutes ago, Pseudonaut said:

Nice list. I'd like to point out a minor error: there actually are some non-TAS demos for Dimensions. In fact, there's at least one non-TAS UV-Max for all five maps.

Now that's some late news for me. I thought that Dimensions was still unbeaten. Thanks for the heads-up!

11 minutes ago, dobu gabu maru said:

A really cool collection of starter wads, though I would've opted to put BtSX front and center for the ways it focuses on both new & oldschool stuff. Still, a really handy list for anyone yearning to jump into the world of Doom mapping!

Thank you dobu! Hope someone finds this list useful someday :D

6 minutes ago, Endless said:

Well damn. I can't say anything other than my English sucks. Some typos I can see them clearly, but other grammatical errors I can't even see what I did wrong. I will try to improve that.

It's not a huge deal, I can still understand what you are saying. If you want, I can make a list that includes actual corrections and not just underlines. It might take a little while though, I don't have a lot of time left today. None of them are really anything major, it's nothing you should worry about too much.