Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
asøkldjnfsxdlkjhnfb xdkljs

mega wad suggestions?

hey.

im looking for some wads with at least 10(+150 monsters) maps.i dont want any of that slaughter crap! :)

i loved waterlab(single map)!i like atmospheric wads,no gameplay changes.im ok with custom monsters if its done well.i know i seem picky but i really need something good!oh,and iv played most of the well-known ones.

im sure u guys will let me on to some hidden goodies!

thanks for ur time.

I get that you’re new here but someone literally posted a list of wad recommendations yesterday. Go through it, try stuff out, and see what you like.

1 hour ago, Faceman2000 said:

I get that you’re new here but someone literally posted a list of wad recommendations yesterday. Go through it, try stuff out, and see what you like.

This. I'd personally recommend all of the DBP wads. If you don't like slaughter play them on HNTR or HMP.

8 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

THIS is definitly a great place to start looking

I'll just pinch a little list of mine from a previous thread:

Doom: The Lost Episode by Xaser et al

A bizarre yet ingenious Zternity-compatible 5th episode, consisting of various alpha, console or PSX-Doom maps ported to ZDoom, xaserfied beyond recognition and cobbled together into a surprisingly-cohesive acid trip of a wad. Mind-bending puzzles, eccentric texturing, often vicious combat and a eclectic assortment of Bobby Prince midis await thee. Also, don't listen to the negative reviews on idgames. They are all wrong. This wad is brilliant.

Nihility: Infinite Teeth by years

A fantastic vanilla-compatible E2 replacement, with extensive DeHackEd work and an extremely moody atmosphere. Seems to take extensive influence from the Doom alphas, making use of various unreleased sprites and textures to expand or overhaul Doom 1's paltry palette, arsenal and bestiary. Unusual in that it lacks music, instead opting for ZDoom-style ambient sounds.

No Sleep for the Dead by Jan Van Der Veken

A highly-refined vanilla-compatible E1 replacement from the master of E1 replacements himself. This wad is short, sweet and to the point. E1 has never been this refined. If you like this wad, consider checking out the author's extensive body of work for more E1-inspired goodness.

Phobos: Anomaly Reborn by Chris Lutz

A pseudo-realistic Boom-compatible E1 replacement, probably among the most impressive Doom 1 wads for its extravagant detailing and absolute commitment to theme. While a bit wonky in places (Doom platforming sucks balls), you are unlikely to find many maps this immersive. A grand adventure, and a must play for anyone who likes immersive environments.

Ultimate Doom The Way id Did by various

A fittingly-brutal vanilla-compatible E4 replacement, courtesy of the DTWiD crew. Very high-quality and interesting maps, with brutal combat, devious traps and ingenious secrets. A must pay for E4 fans.

While all of these are technically episode-replacements rather than full megawads, they all have great atmosphere and generally have low monster counts (and certainly never even approach slaughter-level).

If you are after full megawads, then I can recommend you No End In Sight (my personal favourite wad) and Doom The Way id Did. While the former has some very large maps (600+ monsters), the combat never really devolves into a slaughterfest, and the majority of maps (esp. E1 and E2) have less 300 monsters, and the latter has about the same monster counts as Doom 1.