Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kraja

I.H.N.I. Episode 1 - The Jittery Update v1.04

2 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

I'll have to check this out. How many episodes in total are you planning? Are you going to do a final release with all of them combined?

I wanna make 4 episodes in total.

It might take a while, but at least it will keep me busy for a long time.

And yes - with every episode i'll try to roll back most of its features and improvements to previous episodes.

And yeah - my goal is to make it a one, chonky mod with all the episodes in it

cheers 🍺

Already sang I.H.N.I's praises over the Cacowards thread and I'm back here to say more nice things.

Stellar work all around my dude, had a great time with this. Got some serious F.E.A.R and Half Life vibes - it genuinely felt like playing an early 2000's shooter, but in all the good ways. Here's a couple of comments/feedback in no particular order. Putting it in spoilers 'cause uh, spoilers for people who haven't played it yet.

Spoiler
  • Really appreciated the attention to secrets in this - from the unmarked oddities like the BSOD and the actual HL healing station to the snarky comments (''secret'' soul sphere found, eh. I mean, it was in plain sight).
  • Please let me go inside the truck in map 01 through the grid on the roof though. I was 100% sure that was a secret. The people need to know man.
  • The soundtrack kicks ass, but it got kinda weird in map 3, particularly in the large field area. There's no ambient sound at the corners of the map and when climbing the pipe, so you only get dead silence if you've already killed the enemies.
  • On that note, hitting the doors to access the same field triggers the action music every single time. This leads to a funny effect when going back and forth, since the action music starts and stops after realizing there are no enemies left.
  • The hell knight jumpscare got me. It got me real good.
  • Still on map 03: you can fall through the (extremely dope looking) glass pipe the first time you go through it without much effort just by pressing against the exit leading to the massive mancubi/hell knights/hell barons/imps/cacos/pinkes trap. I think there may be a finnicky collision check going on.
  • I am in love with the pistol.
  • The frame rate problems didn't really detract from my overall enjoyment (it did fall to 30 FPS at certain moments even though I have a GTX 1060 running Doom in 856x480, which is uh... interesting).  
  • ...What does I.H.N.I stand for? I have no idea?

All in all 10/10, would kiss the cook again. Looking forward to episode 2!

I know you recommend to play this with GZdoom 4.4, but I gave it another run in latest 4.6.1 and there is a problem with the main menu, the arrow/cursor is misaligned from the menu texts. Here is screenshot where the cursor is on "quit":

menu.png

I just finished I.H.N.I Episode One. This is truly stellar, you did an amazing job and i am looking forward to the next episode!

Fun mapset. Well paced despite the lower difficulty, it manages to flow well from setpiece to setpiece. And it posesses a really strong sense of place and thick atmosphere.

I'd say the second phase of the boss fight is a letdown though, since it's just more of the same stop&go circlestrafing. Have you considered embracing the power of the gimmick, maybe invul the cyb and only let him damage, I dunno, via the crystals?

Oh and a small technical report. In map03, just before the glass tunnel, this spot has a rather buggy 3d floor. It is fairly easy to accidentally drop through it, into the central room. Played on gz4.6.1.

On 9/20/2021 at 12:26 AM, dew said:

Oh and a small technical report. In map03, just before the glass tunnel, this spot has a rather buggy 3d floor. It is fairly easy to accidentally drop through it, into the central room. Played on gz4.6.1.

Huh 🤔

well that's a new one.

I'll just add it to the list - i'll try to fix this for the next update.

Still - i'm glad you enjoyed it 👍

Cheers.

2 hours ago, NotTheTime said:

Compatible with monster packs? Like smooth doom monsters.

Mostly?

There are instances where i had to create separate demon classes just so that i could tweak one or two properties to make them fit a room better - so some mods may not work all that well with that.

But other than - you should be good 👍

Ok, so I'm a bit confused. It says the latest version is 1.01 but the download is for 7b? is that the same thing?

2 hours ago, Rex705 said:

Ok, so I'm a bit confused. It says the latest version is 1.01 but the download is for 7b? is that the same thing?

Oh yeah - that got a bit... weird.

Yeah - the download is for the most *current* version.

New update *soon*-ish

Alright @Rex705 and everyone else - the chonky update is here.

New guns, new map, lots of smaller improvements, bug fixes, QOL stuff and some other minor things.

Check out the first post for the DL link 👍

Cheers 🍺

29 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

I'm trying to replay this, but I'm stuck again at the start of MAP02... how the fuck do you even leave the starting area?

This problem, while odd, appears to be caused by an unused script line that exists in front of this door

unknown.png

Seems that some configurations try (and fail) to activate this script. It should probably be removed given it doesn't have an activation trigger and thus serves no purpose in the map.

Oh jeez louise.

Ok - so 👏

@Rudolph - It's from that ps2 Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter game. All my guns are "inspired" (read - "taken") from other games. Mostly Killing Floor. You can find the full list in the credits under the "extras" tab.

@Scuba Steve - Now this is a weird bug. I haven't done anything to that place and i've never seen anyone getting stuck there. Are you using any mods that could block you or something? Or maybe it's just some obscure GZDoom setting, i dunno.

@Dynamo - Yeah there might be some lines with unused scripts here but that shouldn't cause any issues, right? I'd be hard to track them down if i don't know what's actually causing this bug.

Ah, crap...

@Kraja Really? I am not familiar with that video game. I could have sworn I have seen a weapon like that in Command & Conquer: Renegade... but upon checking out pictures, I guess not. That is the Mandela Effect in action, I suppose...

On macOS, there's a bit of lag around buildings and in fights (not your problem, MacBooks Airs aren't the best gaming consoles).

The details are incredibly unique for Classic Doom. I'm working my way through the first level now!

Edited by princetontiger

8 hours ago, Kraja said:

@Dynamo - Yeah there might be some lines with unused scripts here but that shouldn't cause any issues, right? I'd be hard to track them down if i don't know what's actually causing this bug.

Well, for now, you can remove this one since we know it's the source of the bug Scuba Steve was having, if any crop up later they can be removed at a later date.

I had a ton of fun with the first couple maps... Map 4 does not work. Although it says a work in progress, on macOS and latest GZDoom, it crashes automatically.

Just now, princetontiger said:

I had a ton of fun with the first couple maps... Map 4 does not work. Although it says a work in progress, on macOS and latest GZDoom, it crashes automatically.

DO'H SHIT
really?
sadly - i don't have a mac so there's no way for me to test it... or fix it ATM.

Man - why is this so hard?

On top of this - just straight up crashing - i'm also getting reports of all sorts of bugs from all sorts of places.

Bugs which neither i nor anyone testing this before release encountered.

So...

Just...

Spoiler

fuck... 😑🔫

Kraja, I think what you're trying to do is noble: push GZDoom to its limits... However, dynamic lighting and breaking walls probably require a different game engine like Unity or UE4.

Hi there, I just wanted to give a quick recommendation if no else has- could you please put in your mod options to turn off screen shake? I find it incredibly distracting to gameplay.

43 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

Hi there, I just wanted to give a quick recommendation if no else has- could you please put in your mod options to turn off screen shake? I find it incredibly distracting to gameplay.

Screen shake is a GZDoom option, not the mod. In display options - earthquake shake.

2 hours ago, Rex705 said:

Screen shake is a GZDoom option, not the mod. In display options - earthquake shake.

Nah - there's more to that.

There's also gun recoil which is done separately.

Looks like i'll have to make another update and change it after all. 

Hey @Kraja, how many maps are there in your WAD? Who's the author(s) for the music? Also, what is the official date of release for this WAD? I'm asking because I want to give it a proper info section for my YT video. Maybe, include this information to the Readme.txt or Credits.txt file within the WAD?

9 hours ago, BohdanZPM said:

Hey @Kraja, how many maps are there in your WAD? Who's the author(s) for the music? Also, what is the official date of release for this WAD? I'm asking because I want to give it a proper info section for my YT video. Maybe, include this information to the Readme.txt or Credits.txt file within the WAD?

Currently there's 4 maps 

3 for episode 1, and one map from episode 2 - you can find it under the "extras" tab in the main menu. 

You can find full credits there too, as well as at the end of episode 1. 

Alright - update 1.03 is done. It's got just one new feature (and some small tweaks) - a setting that lets you turn off screen shake for guns. (thanks @Major Arlene 👍)

You can find it in "mod settings", it's on by default.

Also - a sidenote.

Holy gacamole, thanks for the runner up in this years cacowards. It really made my day.

I... honestly wasn't expecting to see my name there - i only realized it the next morning after getting some discord pings lol.

Anyways - that's it for now. Thanks again, everyone. I'm going back to working on episode 2 now. Hopefully it will turn out even better than this one.

See you all next year... hopefully...