Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artman2004

Anyone scared of water monsters in video games?

I remember playing Quake 2, and there was this part where you had to traverse over a flooded part of the base. In the water, were sharks. Despite them not being the most powerful enemies in the game, I acted like they were. I remember throwing grenades into the water with them because I was too much of a coward to go into the water until I knew for sure that they were all dead. I don't know why, but they seemed scarier than every other Quake 2 enemy. Even the Tanks looked like Doom zombies compared to the sharks. 

Do you guys have any similar experiences with water monsters?

Probably not scared but uneasy. In most cases you can't see what's down there and really plan for an ambush prior jumping down, creating a sense of danger in the unknown. Also the lack of mobility and usually limited time frame before running out of air adds to the danger.

Half Life has those large fish monsters that make me think twice before jumping into water.

Edited by Chezza

It's called Thalassophobia or something like that and while I'm not that scared about some kind of creature being underwater I'm scared of murky waters, probably due to the fact that my only experience with big bodies of water in real life was my town's artificial lake and knowing that under those waters there's the old town makes it kinda haunting, also when the lake is shallow enough you can still see old buildings in certain spots near the shores.

edit: It's called Thalassophobia instad of Tripophobia

The Eel-like monstrosity in Shadow of the Colossus. Still remember the first time I encountered that colossus when playing that game on PS2 (good old days.) The beast literally takes you underwater as you hold onto its tail. From there, you have to slowly make your way towards its head as it surfaces momentarily. There are also electrocuting rods on its back which shock you from even a small distance as the beast is underwater. The electric rods as well as the head can only be attacked during a small window while the eel is surfacing outside the lake.

Edited by Rosh Fragger

They can definitely be effective. Underwater is essentially an alien environment. The half-life bastards already mentioned are the classics. Also got to give credit to the big beasts in subnautica too.

I remember playing Final Fantasy 7 years ago and saw a large silhouette of Leviathan(?) in the water and seconds before the battle screen started I could feel my heart hit my throat and I immediately lost the battle. I wouldn't say that I'm scared of water monsters inherently, but that one definitely scared me.

Jumpscares given by the camouflaged crocodiles in Far Cry 3 and 4. Also, sharks and demon fishes in these two games made waters kind of scary to dive into.

6 hours ago, Artman2004 said:

In the water, were sharks. Despite them not being the most powerful enemies in the game, I acted like they were.

Definitely this back in the day.

Also, the fish in Quake 1 - that chattering sound used to scare me (well, I say 'scare', I mean made me overly cautious about going in the water and actually progressing).

Wasn't there some big arsed mutant fish thing in HL1 as well? IIRC, that also made me very nervous.

Not if your character is also aquatic or at least not significantly handicapped when underwater. In many games however diving significantly handicaps you (e.g. limited breathing time, slower moving speed compared to aquatic enemies, or even the inability to use weapons).

Piranha fish from Doom 2D. It kills you very fast, they are hard to see, so you don't want to be underwater too long.

27WBiXk.png

Not a single mention of Blood's gill beasts? I mean, I know they're amphibious, but still.

Water monsters? No. Never been scared of those.

Water levels? More like infuriating moments sometimes.

2 minutes ago, jewelbie09 said:

Water levels,the true monsters

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Water levels? More like infuriating moments sometimes.

In their defence...

Spoiler

tenor.gif

Absolutely. For me I think it was the 3D platformers I grew up with trying to fuck up my day. Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, and a few others had those giant fish that would circle you and eat you, killing you in one hit. It always terrified me.

Aaaaaand it's just the baby. Seems nobody dares to even screenshot the adult.

fM7STuA.png

Water monster? Ground monster? WHY NOT BIOENGINEERING BOTH

For me not really, no.

Things that tend to creep me out are weird spiders and insect hybrids, some of these can really make my skin crawl, brrrrr.

Truth be told, drowning is what really scared me in games back in the day.

this is by far the scariest water monster I’ve encountered in a game, and no I’m not kidding:

1F2055E1-7791-4197-8716-AB58FD0EADEE.png

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

this is by far the scariest water monster I’ve encountered in a game, and no I’m not kidding:

1F2055E1-7791-4197-8716-AB58FD0EADEE.png

In case anyone here hasn't played SMB3... That guy can one hit kill you. Even with powerups.

Sharks and moray eels in Tomb Raider 2 were quite scary to encounter, especially due to the underwater sections of that game being somewhat dark and spooky. Tomb Raider 3 featured schools of piranhas in some levels, which weren't really scary but worth mentioning anyway.