Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artman2004

Anyone scared of water monsters in video games?

11 hours ago, Lippeth said:

I remember playing Final Fantasy 7 years ago and saw a large silhouette of Leviathan(?) in the water and seconds before the battle screen started I could feel my heart hit my throat and I immediately lost the battle. I wouldn't say that I'm scared of water monsters inherently, but that one definitely scared me.

Are you refering to Midgar Zolom or Emerald Weapon by chance?

Midgar Zolom, yes! I just looked it up and though it's not scary at all, I wasn't expecting it and just seeing the silhouette in the water for the first time startled me enough that I still remember it all these years later.

9 hours ago, Salahmander2 said:

This asshole! There's only 1 in the entire game, but he's so well hidden and by the time you find out. Death.

Ahaha, I was hoping there would be a mention of this jumpscare fucker. Divers are also a terrifying oppenent in this game, due to the loud breathing noises and the awfulness (and scarcity) of harpoons

The Dopefish was the first scary monster, I never had the courage to go into the Well of Wishes as a kid due to them.

But the truly scariest underwater stuff? Ecco the Dolphin. The whole game is terrifying.

5 minutes ago, AinuTheTaken said:

No. I guess the fish in Quake 1 are a lot less scary than what you have in mind.

Yeah, their design may be eldritch enough, but they're nowhere bigger than some other fish enemies that are not too big but still scary enough. That, and the fact that their attack is just tiny bites compared to other more lethal Q1 enemies.

I think it's instinct. humans are at a disadvantage in the water, so we're much less able to defend ourselves against sea creatures compared to those on land. animals/monsters aside, deep water also means the risk of drowning. those are perfectly valid reasons to feel uneasy.

No one mentioned Blood's Gill beasts?

WE ARE UNDER WATER WHY ARE YOUR SCREAMS SO LOUD HOLY SHIT WHY ARE YOU FASTER THAN A CAR!! (good thing they have a shitty pinky attack lol)

56 minutes ago, Pegg said:

No one mentioned Blood's Gill beasts?

I already did, posts ago. :P

ZZCnsd1.png

Some Unreal custom maps have this blazingly fast and powerful squid monster that never fails to make me freak out.

And then in Blake Stone, you don't have to worry about monsters in water, but the Fluid Alien is made of water and is one of the most dangerous and annoying enemies in the game, forcing you to expose yourself to its attacks in order to damage it.

In the final level of Soma there's this humongous giant squid that's been taken over by the evil IA and the structure gel. You don't get to fight it because it's huge and because you simply can't (Soma is one of those games), but you have to try and outrun it so you don't get killed by it. The fact that you're walking on a Mariana's-trench-deep ocean floor, almost totally engulfed by darkness and in the middle of very strong oceanic currents doesn't help against the scariness either

On 11/21/2020 at 11:44 AM, Woolie Wool said:

ZZCnsd1.png

Some Unreal custom maps have this blazingly fast and powerful squid monster that never fails to make me freak out.

One of the unfinished enemies that still had some resources shipped with the game. Unreal Evolution adds it back to the main game if you want that for some reason (one of the many things it does to flesh out the world a bit more). They’re really mean!!

https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-evolution

It all depends on how deep the water is. And how big the monsters are. Luckily for me, most games don't feature deep monster-infested waters. Nothing is more spooky than a huge stretch of deep water and knowing there's something BIG in it.

On 11/19/2020 at 10:56 PM, Artman2004 said:

I remember playing Quake 2, and there was this part where you had to traverse over a flooded part of the base. In the water, were sharks. Despite them not being the most powerful enemies in the game, I acted like they were. I remember throwing grenades into the water with them because I was too much of a coward to go into the water until I knew for sure that they were all dead. I don't know why, but they seemed scarier than every other Quake 2 enemy. Even the Tanks looked like Doom zombies compared to the sharks. 

Do you guys have any similar experiences with water monsters?

YES. YES, literally exactly this moment with the Quake 2 fish. I have no idea why, they absolutely freaked me out for the longest time. I don't really have that much issue with them now, but I think it had something to do with the fact that they were (relatively) small, fast, and could come at you from any direction (including up and down). I think they traumatized me for other video game fish too, because I remember being scared to death of the slaughterfish in Oblivion and they're hilariously inept and nonthreatening (the Skyrim version, on the other hand, can go get fucked).

16 minutes ago, Percy T said:

Tentacle.jpg.141ccc256bfe29dee47986286f20a0a3.jpg

Any Jak 3 Players? This thing still scares me to this day

Bloody hell, yes. I can't tell you how many times that thing dragged me under during my futile attempts to reach that off-map island near Spartos *shudders*

There's just something about traversing in water and being attacked by any water creature. I remember playing Unreal and in a flooded ship there were these gross slime creatures, ugh I hate them! They make these awful squishy noises when they move and you can't see them when you're above the water, just hear that awful squish. They can go on the ground too, but I hate them most in the water. Also in Jedi Knight Dark Forces II had some scary water creatures I hated dealing with. They were ugly too.

57 minutes ago, Kokoro Hane said:

There's just something about traversing in water and being attacked by any water creature. I remember playing Unreal and in a flooded ship there were these gross slime creatures, ugh I hate them! They make these awful squishy noises when they move and you can't see them when you're above the water, just hear that awful squish. 

Sounds like something inspired by the Quake horrible slimes.. well at least they don't explode on death, or do they?

3 hours ago, Pegg said:

Sounds like something inspired by the Quake horrible slimes.. well at least they don't explode on death, or do they?

Thank goodness they don't!

My brain completely removed the Furies from Resistance 2, the don't look too scary (and honestly are the least fucked up enemy in the game beside Hybrids) but the fact that they lurk in murky water and are immortal (by game design not lore) makes me skip most levels where I have to cross bodies of water

latest?cb=20111026122738&path-prefix=de

The fish enemies in Serious Sam absolutely terrified me as a child, especially in the sewer level's dark and murky water. Water enemies in every other game don't bother me at all but those bastards had such a long lasting effect that water areas in Serious Sam still make me uneasy to this day. Evil, evil creatures.

YV2IWsT.jpg

I hate underwater creatures in general, a very strong fear I still have to this day. Though I'm not as terrified of them anymore, I still have a strong hatred towards the electro fish from Serious Sam and the Ichthyosaur from Half Life 1 (and its brief but sudden appearance in Half Life 2 was most unwelcome).

No mention of Unagi from Mario 64? Really? I used to be afraid of the big eel but I got over it, possibly because there were many other things that scared me a lot more, he was pretty tame in comparison. I know that eel monsters have featured in other Mario games with much more terrifying designs, like in Galaxy and Odyssey.

You'll never catch me playing Subnautica, or anything of the like featuring giant underwater enemies. The ocean itself is terrifying enough to me, let alone the absolute horrors lurking in that boundless blue-green void.

When I was a child, underwater segments made me feel very uneasy. Being underwater is symbolic of many human fears, physical and psychological. Fear of drowning, being attacked, being defenseless, being in an alien and unfamiliar environment, emptiness, isolation, darkness, dread.