Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

hell revealed

were can i download that wad? i cant seem to get the ftp listed in doomworld to work. either i cant get on or it dies in mid download. also what happened to the hell revealed II site? is it down??

HR2: page; download

BTW, http://www.doomworld.com/sda is often a good place to look for wads if you haven't found them via the normal channels. If SDA has demos for a wad, there will also be a download link for the wad itself.

Good luck with Hell Revealed. It's still the toughest megawad of them all.

Grazza said:

Good luck with Hell Revealed. It's still the toughest megawad of them all.

Really? I just played a few levels and it wasn't that hard.

The first six are fairly normal. Then with map 7 it starts to go apeshit, and pretty much everything from the secret levels onwards is extremely rough (except for the "easy" map25). The real ass-kickers are 11, 22, 23, 24, 26 and 32, though for a few of them there are trick routes to make them a bit less painful (for instance, you can basically skip map26 if you get the AV jump right - don't though, because it's a great map).

Some of the special effects used in HR don't show properly in JDoom (e.g the seethrough demon pen in map01, is a solid texture)

Mr. Chris said:

Some of the special effects used in HR don't show properly in JDoom (e.g the seethrough demon pen in map01, is a solid texture)

Actually, jDoom is one of the few ports in which a couple of the more significant effects do work properly: ghosts (relevant in map26) and the lost soul limit (relevant in many maps, but exploited directly in map19).

Actually, I found it a bit easier on balance, and in any case the HR2 beta isn't a megawad. Perhaps if/when it is full megawad (i.e. 32 maps), it will be tougher.

Grazza said:

Actually, jDoom is one of the few ports in which a couple of the more significant effects do work properly: ghosts (relevant in map26) and the lost soul limit (relevant in many maps, but exploited directly in map19).

Those are easy to add back as compatibility options, and should be added thus, but if I'm not mistaken it's much harder to make some of the map-based visual tricks work on a GL engine...

myk said:

Those are easy to add back as compatibility options, and should be added thus, but if I'm not mistaken it's much harder to make some of the map-based visual tricks work on a GL engine...

That may very well be true, but those of us who aren't working on our own source ports are stuck with the available options. Currently, I believe that if you want the gameplay to work as intended in HR, the options are jDoom, PrBoom/GLBoom, doom2.exe and maybe (I haven't checked) Eternity. Of course, the differences aren't so critical that they should solely determine the choice of port, and some maps aren't affected at all. Still, if you wanted to record a max demo on HR map26, you clearly shouldn't use Legacy.

BTW, GLBoom displays the invisible wall in HR map01 correctly, so maybe this isn't so hard to correct in a GL engine.

Grazza said:

Actually, I found it a bit easier on balance, and in any case the HR2 beta isn't a megawad. Perhaps if/when it is full megawad (i.e. 32 maps), it will be tougher.

Agreed, in balance, as it is, it's definitely easier.