Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

Ask random questions, and they will be answered.

21 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

I'm on season three of Star Trek TOS, watching for the first time and it's seriously one of the best things I've ever seen. TNG is also amazing (arguably better in a lot of ways) and I plan to watch Deep Space Nine and Voyager afterward.

I caught part of an episode of Discovery and I can tell it's trying to be Star Trek, but...it's not. Honestly with the recent films and newer shows, the only way to make a good Star Trek show is to resurrect Gene Roddenberry, or find a hidden stash of unused screenplays. And still I'm confident that casting would somehow drop the ball.

We keep trying to watch Start Trek: Discovery [LMAO just realised - that is STD!!!] and we just can't get into it - special effects etc. are great, but it just doesn't gel somehow.

** EDIT **

Forgot The Animated Series - TOS cast voices.

** END **

There's a fan-made web series called Star Trek: Continues - which is a pretty good follow-on from TOS actually. Spot the guest actors...

TNG is definitely my favourite - but ignore season 1. So not sure about Roddenberry doing the best ones...

DS9 is very dark, particularly as the war with the... Well, I'll let you find out. 

Voyager is OK, but Janeway gets REALLY annyoing - at least for me.

The recent set of movies are actually excellent, but you need to have the mindset that it is a parallel universe. There are several presidents for this - the Mirror Universe in TOS, several episode of TNG and others.

God - I sound like a proper trekkie. I'll stop now.

Edited by smeghammer

Star Trek: Continues is already breaking my brain in its absurdity, I can tell I'm going to love it, thank you for the recommendation!

3 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I wanna know the baffling appeal of V-Tubers

Wish I knew this myself. All I know is that Kizuna Ai started the trend, and it's only gotten bigger since her appearance. I can understand it from a creator's point of view, not wanting to show your real face for one reason or another - a virtual avatar can certainly make things easier that way. As for the audience... maybe there's a sense of escaping reality to it?

3 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

and more importantly what I can do to avoid them.

Easy - just refrain from clicking on those videos whenever they inevitably pop up in your recommendations.

While we're on this topic, I wish YouTube had a way of preventing videos from appearing in my recommendations. The ability to add keywords to a list and not see anything based on them would be quite sweet. Or even being able to filter out some videos based on which channel they were uploaded to. Realistically, that's not gonna happen, but a man can dream.

52 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

Star Trek: Continues is already breaking my brain in its absurdity, I can tell I'm going to love it, thank you for the recommendation!

Yeah, the guy playing Kirk is definitely channelling his inner Shatner. He's got the expressions dead on.

Gosh, I love season 1 of TNG. The first episode is among the best, imo. Do people just dislike it because of Tasha Yar hamming it up at 2000%? I can definitely feel that if so

5 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Gosh, I love season 1 of TNG. The first episode is among the best, imo. Do people just dislike it because of Tasha Yar hamming it up at 2000%? I can definitely feel that if so

I think Season 1 is the weakest, but being the weakest season of one of the greatest TV shows ever isn't that bad if you ask me. It also has some of the show's best music, courtesy of Ron Jones.  

There are only 2 episodes I think are outright bad, most of them are alright and few are great. 

The first episode is actually my favourite of the season, it's fantastic and pretty important in the long run. 

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

I think for me, season one tried too much to be TOS. I also think they didn't really know where they were going. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it by any means - I just think that later seasons are better. Let's face it Denise Crosby hammed it up all the way through.

Once the whole Klingon story arc with Worf took off it was much improved. There are some excellent standalones too 'Yesterday's Enterprise' springs to mind, and obviously the episodes with Q are a lot of fun.

I do agree that Encounter at Farpoint and then All Good Things at the end of S7 are a superb series opener and closure - probably the best multi-season run example of this I can think of.

Fun fact - John DeLancie also voiced Discord in My Little pony - whose character is very much like Q. Definitely think this is a nod to trekkie grownups forced to watch MLP by their kids.

1 hour ago, DooM Bear said:

One for my fellow early 90’s dance music fans:

What is love?

Don't hurt me.

No more.

Why does using this forum make me feel like i am doing at least something with my life?
It's something i get much less when just playing games or watching videos

@AtticTelephone Your probably has probably already been answered but heck first world people are friggin noobs at real life smh my head haha keanu chungus wholesome 100

...erm

A hotdog is not a slice of bread, it's a roll of bread. Slices of bread are made by cutting a loaf of bread into... slices. A loaf of bread is when you bake bread dough by filling a (usually rectangular) cake pan. Rolls of bread, on the other hand, are chunks of dough that are rolled into a tube-like shape and setting them in a baking tray, which preserves the rolled shape (hence "bread roll"), rather than shoving it into a cake pan and getting a big loaf of bread (shaped like the tin) in return.

I don't know about bread buns (the ones used in hamburgers). Apart from 'Merica! Fok yeh!

10 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Subs are also one long piece of bread cut down the middle, functionally identical to a hotdog bun. Since subs are of course sandwiches, it seems an open-and-shut case.

My question is, what makes people get bored of Doom?

Doom is, at its core, a relatively simple game. You point your .png at the other .png and then click mouse1 until the other .png switches to its death frame. It is possible to get really tired of the same gameplay loop no matter how tightly designed it is.

Why does HL: Opposing Force play rap music? I was at the part where I had to kill this Gargantua or whatever on a Dam, and it started playing California Love, what?

Edit: Turns out I had a CD in my computer that replaces the music.

Edited by AtticTelephone

1 hour ago, HLRaven said:

Do you know who ate all the donuts?

A fellow scientist.

Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous ties?

4 hours ago, Swordofdanu said:

Why are there so many frigging assholes in the world? Where do they come from? 

Because there's too many selfish people in the world. Selfish = asshole. The only cure is to be the opposite. Not selfish = not an asshole. As to where they come from, beats me. 'Tis one of the greatest mysteries.

1 hour ago, BunnyWithBeans said:

Doom is, at its core, a relatively simple game.

Then again simplicity does not equate to non-replayability. Simple mechanisms and rules can together create beautiful emergent patterns and very funny interesting situations. I know this is a kind of very old example for this kind of stuff, but have you ever heard of Conway's Game of Life? People have been toying with the possibility of creating Turing complete patterns in it... and it's literally just a 2D grid, with a (infinite) bunch of on or off states, where whether a state is toggled depends on the number of neighbouring on states. That's all Conway's Game of Life is at the core.

Also, I know this is kind of pedantic but you should have seen this coming after writing what you wrote, especially the way you did; I am afraid they didn't use PNG in Doom!

Nonetheless. The thing is, tightly designed gameplay does tend to get boring, or at least a little repetitive or not as replayable, precisely because it is tightly designed. I don't know how versed you are in having fun while playing games, but it's the situational diversity that keeps a game fun. For instance, that's why Minecraft is so replayable, and why it's not uncommon to see quite average people having deposited a very large amount of time on it compared to other games, like Half-Life.

Something definitely keeps me coming back to Unreal Tournament. I think it's the wild carnage that you can get in certain practice matches, often with certain 'mutators'; especially with the almost infinite number of combinations of situations you can get yourself into in larger maps. Even small differences -- e.g. a sniper being on the ground level like you, versus a high vantage point, while still in the exact spots with the same arsenal and same people next to you -- can equate to a very different situation; but one way or the other, chaos will find its way. Name a situation, and it'll end in a deliciously explosive chaos that I can't seem to get quite enough of. No matter how, it feels like no match is ever the same as the previous one.

As for Doom, I think it's more to do with the maps. I'm kind of bored of D_RUNNIN on Entryway, but Doom feels more like a sandbox, because you can easily make gimmicky maps that do surprising things in interesting ways. Even more so after you tack in more advanced modding things like DECORATE or ZScript. Doom at this stage feels more like a canvas for your creativity, and the existing monsters and their stats mere metrics -- sometimes visually insignificant metrics, even, if we're talking about, say, Russian Overkill (and I think I don't need to say why). It's not a very emergent game all that much, as there is not a lot that happens differently, and randomization is a little lackluster, but there certainly is some random number generation involved, and it DEFINITELY can make for interesting moments sometimes. But there are lots of community maps, and I think there are exponentially more funny or awesome emergent situations, very few of which people actually know about. What if there is an arch-vile running around in the walls, but the "room" within the walls is also a crusher? Which of the baddies will he resurrect?

1 minute ago, Kokoro Hane said:

As to where they come from, beats me. 'Tis one of the greatest mysteries.

Probably not from the rump, as the word would otherwise suggest.

8 hours ago, cambreaKer said:

when will terrorist takedown 4 release?

well i guess even in the "question that will be anwsered" thread, this question still remains unanwserable.

1 minute ago, AtticTelephone said:

Half Life 3 when (Half Life: Alyx does not count)?

Now,

Half-life Alyx Spoilers

Spoiler

have you seen half-life alyx's ending? pretty insane

8 hours ago, Loud Silence said:

Doom

Q: Why Doomworld have Badministrator?

Radministrator was already taken