Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon Cafe

Looking for newer Doom 2 wads...

Hi all, new member here,

I'm looking for newer Doom 2 wads to feature on a new YouTube channel I just started. I play through wads with commentary talking about map layout, design, features and etc... Any recommendations on maps or map packs would be extremely helpful to me.

Thanks and cheers...

Depends on what you mean by 'newer'. As in, wads released this year? Last five years? Last ten?

42 minutes ago, Omniarch said:

Depends on what you mean by 'newer'. As in, wads released this year? Last five years? Last ten?

Last couple of years I suppose 🤟

6 hours ago, Cacodemon Cafe said:

Hi all, new member here,

I'm looking for newer Doom 2 wads to feature on a new YouTube channel I just started. I play through wads with commentary talking about map layout, design, features and etc... Any recommendations on maps or map packs would be extremely helpful to me.

Thanks and cheers...

To partially answer your question:

https://doomworld.com/cacowards/

https://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/
https://www.doomworld.com/25years/top-100-memorable-maps/
https://www.doomworld.com/25years/top-25-missed-cacowards/

9 hours ago, Cacodemon Cafe said:

Hi all, new member here,

Thanks and cheers...

Check out this list made by @Vorpal

9 hours ago, Cacodemon Cafe said:

Last couple of years I suppose 🤟

Ok then, I have a few recommendations:

1. Akeldama

A classic-style megawad released this year to unanimous praise, considered by many (inc. myself) to be a spiritual successor to Memento Mori and Alien Vendetta. A wide variety of skilled mappers collaborated on this one, so each level is unique and of high quality, perfect for commentary. It also runs on pretty much every source port.

2. Ascent of Titan

A GZDoom-compatible 9-level mapset released last month. Stylistically, a merger between classic Doom 1 layouts and visuals with all the visual niceties afforded by GZDoom. It is a fun and attractive mapset, made with a high degree of professionalism.

3. Cold Front

A short sweet 4-map miniwad released last month. Generally combat focused, with a beautiful winter-meets-egyptian aesthetic. These maps are fast, fun and intuitive, and provide a good challenge. Requires a limit-removing port.

4. Three is a Crowd

Possibly one of the most interesting and original megawads out there. Consistently defies convention in favour of its own mad designs. Each map has its own set of gimmicks, taking advantage of every feature and bug in the vanilla repertoire. Runs in almost every source port.

5. TNT Goes Boom

A TNT miniwad released this month. A re-imagining of the first few levels of Evilution, aesthetically retro and quite faithful to the feel of the original, though much harder. Also runs on any port, but requires the TNT IWAD.

All of these are interesting and well-executed mapsets, which should provide ample materiel for analysis and discussion in a youtube series.

I guess you could check out the Wadazine, there's plenty of recommendations from the last 2-3 years. Especially the master recommendations are really good, like Bastion of Chaos. Here's issue #6's thread (issue number 7 is the latest, but everything is Halloween-themed so this might not be what you're looking for).

Wow, you guys are awesome. It's been years since I created any maps myself but I'm having fun doing this YouTube thing. I've downloaded many of the above links and will press forward. Here's the channel on YouTube. My kid and I are testing the waters here and hope to have fun doing this.

Cacodemon Cafe

Thanks again for all the suggestions!