Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrHofmann

Eternal at The Game Awards.

5 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Either way, i still think that Bioshock Infinite effect could happen.

What would that entail? I never really followed the franchise, finished the first one and got a headache 5 min into the sequel thanks to its 50 FoV

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

What Doom Eternal is sorely lacking is a good lesbian kiss, perhaps between the UAC spokeswoman and a resurrected Dr. Olivia Pierce.

I'd buy that.

I remember when Bioshock Infinite had a lot of praise and critical acclaim but as time went on, people just... stopped talking about it.

Maybe because before that, people started to talk about how it wasn't that good or it was overrated/overhyped.

Now, it feels like an example of a game that was seen as a masterpiece before it became something people look at and think "oh yeah, the game exists i guess".

8 hours ago, Gokuma said:

What Doom Eternal is sorely lacking is a good lesbian kiss, perhaps between the UAC spokeswoman and a resurrected Dr. Olivia Pierce.

Immediate GOTY. 

12 hours ago, whatup876 said:

It should be known that VGA's are always a shitshow but this one felt specially bad and hilarious.

I do worry if ZeniMax looks at this and thinks "Eternal wasn't good enough" and something bad could happen.

No, they look at sales to measure success. The aim is to make money, whatever critics did like it or not.

Eventually I hope they will review the difficulty levels names and rename IMTYTD game journos instead so it's clear to them what they're supposed to play at.

18 hours ago, whatup876 said:

I remember when Bioshock Infinite had a lot of praise and critical acclaim but as time went on, people just... stopped talking about it.

Maybe because before that, people started to talk about how it wasn't that good or it was overrated/overhyped.

Now, it feels like an example of a game that was seen as a masterpiece before it became something people look at and think "oh yeah, the game exists i guess".

God, I remember getting Bioshock Infinite several months after seeing all the glowing reviews...

...That was when I stopped trusting games journalism.

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

Dr. Elena Richardson sounds really hot, but we never got to see her.

I feel like this was a missed opportunity on part of the devs. 

9 hours ago, chemo said:

God, I remember getting Bioshock Infinite several months after seeing all the glowing reviews...

...That was when I stopped trusting games journalism.

I was always meaning to play Infinite back then. Fast forward to yesterday, I had just finished burial at sea pt. 2

I'm generally not one for strong opinions but my word I didn't enjoy this game much at all. I only committed to finishing it out of stubbornness.

Story was very much up it's own arse and even tried to taint the first game. Really didn't work for me at all.

Gameplay is far worse. Gunplay was dull. Weapons weren't very impactful. Lack of ammo variants, many weapons functioning similarly to each other also. 2 weapon limit was annoying. I actually like CoD for what it is yet this didn't play as well as those, which says a lot considering how low the bar is there.

Enemies were nowhere near as varied or interesting as in the first 2 games. The handymen were quite cool though

Admittedly I mostly just used the electro bolt plasmid... Sorry I meant shock jockey vigor because I was only interested in functionality rather than creativity. I had no motivation. Maybe the combat would have 'clicked' or something?

I played on hard mode and it was still easy. No option of disabling the equivalent of the vita chambers in this game. I couldn't be arsed with 1999 mode for the DLC as I just wanted the game to finish by this point

Elizabeth was technically impressive but for gameplay felt very flat, I found.

The sky rail was cool but genuinely felt like it belonged in a different game. You can definitelyfeel the troubled dec cycle of this game. Glad I paid just a couple of £ for it in the end.

Random rant seeing as I have a very fresh (though probably not very interesting) perspective.

Edited by Cantleylads : Keep adding to my rant

So after taking some time to process things, it’s not just that Doom Eternal walked away empty-handed or that TLOU2 seemed to win all the awards or anything like that.

And no, I have no desire to indulge in weird conspiracy theories about how Naughty Dog dropped a Sad Puppies on The Game Awards or anything like that.

And besides, I don’t think TLOU2 is without merit. It’s very graphically impressive, it’s been one of the better examples of providing accessibility in regards to playability for those who happen to be disabled, etc.

But the thing is, was it really worth the dozens if not hundreds of horror stories of endless crunch and abusive practices?

So I think what’s most upsetting about this whole thing (and the reason why the mindset of “it’s just an awards show” feels disingenuous) is that it actually does kind of matter.

Despite the conversation coming up more than ever, TLOU winning GOTY is sending a message to the industry that it's perfectly ok to abuse and overwork your employees.

That as long as your photorealistic game has the ability to emulate real life as much as physically possible, having sweatshop conditions will automatically guarantee plaudits and awards. That tells them that they can throw money and / or a shiny hat at a problem to make it go away.

It's telling studios that, despite all the shit that's been brought up over and over and over again, "we in the industry are still willing to give everything to those who have no consideration or empathy for others and not even address the things that have happened.”

And that’s the saddest part of all.

And if that isn’t the definition of failing upwards, I don’t know what is.

On 12/11/2020 at 12:49 PM, whatup876 said:

I do worry if ZeniMax looks at this and thinks "Eternal wasn't good enough" and something bad could happen.

Since Microsoft recently acquired ZeniMax & their properties for $7.5B, and Doom pretty much prints money, do you think Zeni will have much (if any) sway over future Doom decisions?

On 12/13/2020 at 10:24 PM, Rytrik said:

Since Microsoft recently acquired ZeniMax & their properties for $7.5B, and Doom pretty much prints money, do you think Zeni will have much (if any) sway over future Doom decisions?

I think Carmack itself even made a comment about how they didn't have that much of a grudge against him as Zeni did.

So, who knows.

Maybe if they learned from their mistakes with other studios and companies, like with Rare and Platinum Games.

I'm sure there's other awards the game won, even if not coming from the Dorito pope show.

This one is for Quality Assurance.

8 hours ago, whatup876 said:

This one is for Quality Assurance.

Well, DOOM Eternal was certainly one of the least buggiest and smoothest launching games I've played last year.
So uh, good job id Software for uh (according to the Wikipedia article for Quality Assurance) "preventing mistakes and defects in manufactured products and avoiding problems when delivering products or services to customers"