Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOEL

Swim with the Whales: map 03 platforming

If you've played this map, you know what I'm talking about. This has to be the most ridiculous platforming I've seen in a Doom map that's not meant to be impossible.

I know that it's skippable by finding the right secrets but I want to know if anyone has actually done it? A few months back 3 of us spent at least 20 minutes trying to complete this with no success. Thankfully we figured out how to get the black key as I do NOT have patience when it comes to platforming in Doom. (And yet I play jumpmaze sometimes, curious.)

Anyway, I wanna see a video of someone doing this.

is that the one where it's upside down? Love to watch that stuff but I'll pass on playing it LOL

I played it on HNTR a while back and I'm pretty sure I got all the secrets, but I don't remember too well. My best guess is you're talking about this part:

Magnolia MAP01 (same author) has at least two nastier ones, one of which I don't think you can legitimately get to (because a teleport landing that goes there isn't flagged on any settings, preventing entry without noclip)

@Pseudonaut No it's a different one, much much harder. There's actually a much easier way to do that specific jump that Korendian199 does in his playthrough that I had never seen before.

Near where you had the video start there's an outside area with tiny platforms leading up to the large platform with a switch. Decino jumps down to it after telefragging the cyberdemon.

Dimensions 02 is great. Max'd it and loved it.

Swtw 03 platforming is redic, you can skip it so that's nice.

The platforming in magnolia 01 also by ribbiks is rediculous and you can access it legitimately, you just need magnolia_uv.wad. :)

Frog&Toad has some platforming maps (also by ribbiks) that are redic, max'd all of those. Map 10 in particular looks like this Screenshot_Doom_20200930_173711.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200930_173657.png

Lastly finely crafted fetish film map02 has some insane platforming in a secret area as well.

Edited by Lucky_Edie

1 hour ago, NuMetalManiak said:

Magnolia MAP01 (same author) has at least two nastier ones, one of which I don't think you can legitimately get to (because a teleport landing that goes there isn't flagged on any settings, preventing entry without noclip)

That's for the UV copies.

1. I went and tried it (swtw 03 platforming before light blue skull switch) just now and it's not that bad (in isolation)

2. Did you know the platforming in swtw03 vanishes on skill 3 or lower. So, like, play skill 3. Playing skill 4 on swtw is signing up for pain.

Done at a glacial pace since I'm not good at platforming. I find that using the walk key and the automap helps to make it much easier.

17 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

I find that using the walk key and the automap helps to make it much easier.

Nicely done. An alternative to walking forward is using STRAFE ON and moving the mouse left/right slowly, lets you align yourself perfectly without the risk of running forward off a platform. 

47 minutes ago, Daerik said:

That's for the UV copies.

oh well then that's just dumb.

Also the secret map in Mayhem 2018 Purple's got some similar platforming to Dimensions and lines to avoid.

It isn't dumb, the maps are really hard on UV and people would complain. 

Mayhem purple 31 was co-authored by the guy who made dimensions. Killer5/MrZzul

2 hours ago, Lucky_Edie said:

Frog&Toad has some platforming maps (also by ribbiks) that are redic, max'd all of those. Map 10 in particular looks like this

I was just about to mention that one.

4 hours ago, Lucky_Edie said:

It isn't dumb, the maps are really hard on UV and people would complain.

From my experience, the kind of people who would complain about magnolia being too hard on UV would probably find HMP just as impenetrable, especially map03. I find the idea of private builds of maps to be a bit rum.

All you had to do was send him a message with your HMP playthrough and he'd give you UV. I think it was meant as a bit of a fun community thing for people who enjoy hard stuff just as much as it was to stop people running headlong into UV and ranting about the difficulty.