Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aubrey Hodges

Final Doom Soundtrack: 20th Anniversary Edition has been released

I don't meant to be ungrateful, because I think it's awesome what you've done, but the price point is preventing me from pulling the trigger on purchasing. $54 for the 3 soundtracks is reckless for people like me, meanwhile I spent $4 total on the bundle of Homeworld1/2/Kharak soundtracks. I'm not suggesting dropping the price that low but, perhaps the non-special editions at $8 apiece would be more palatable for the doom crowd. You have your own metrics of course though, and if they are selling then it would be stupid to lower the price, it's only out of the utmost respect that I'd explain why I wouldn't personally buy (if I didnt respect you I just wouldn't buy, and wouldn't say anything)

I'm gonna have to agree with the above comment. Music isn't ephemeral and it's not cheap lol. I do think some of the albums could be a little less expensive since they've been out so long, but regardless it's free to listen to right on the bandcamp page! 

Listened to this last night with headphones. The old extended tracks had a bunch of neat new samples and effects for a lot more depth, and the new tracks were often 'uncomfortable' in how different and unknown they were. My only issue is that the cut level tracks for Subspace, Subterra and Vesperas weren't extended, but as those were never officially part of the game, I can understand.

As I said in the other topic, I wondered whether this would come out, so I'm glad to see it released.

1 hour ago, Gifty said:

@Vorpal As a musician, feeling like I should pop in here: I know the internet has made this a very unpopular opinion, but musicians gotta eat, yo.

While as a musician myself I can agree on that, it can also be said that for a fulltime producer releasing a few dark ambient albums  between an X amount of years there's awful little to eat from. Unless he also does things like doing mixing / mastering for others or doing production for different companies, I don't think a musician would be able to 'survive' if he'd really only depend on those album sales.

Edited by OniriA

the "musicians need to eat" argument is a guilt trip that makes musicians out to be more deserving of money than others, and like it's our duty to feed them. I was actually arguing FOR buying these works instead of just streaming for free like everyone in this thread is probably doing.

1 hour ago, Gifty said:

And $54 is definitely a lot to spend on music all at once, but that's because you're buying like ten hours of material.

Funny that, comparing to a physical/digital game that can cost 59 bucks, the music set has enough hours to listen. And has more discs. 

Up to people who can buy it or not. If transactions to other countries weren't bad in here, I'd buy it.

1 hour ago, Vorpal said:

the "musicians need to eat" argument is a guilt trip that makes musicians out to be more deserving of money than others, and like it's our duty to feed them. I was actually arguing FOR buying these works instead of just streaming for free like everyone in this thread is probably doing.

Wow, alright. Well, have a nice day I guess!

The titles to some of these bonus tracks seem oddly humorous. Wobulation, garbulation...

PSX Final Doom had the superior sound track over PSX Doom, change my mind. 

That said, I'm not sure what the problem is with all of this. Aubrey isn't putting a gun to anyone's head and making them buy this. Sure, there's always other ways to do things, like with a Patreon-type at will donation, say, per track, but it's his music, his prerogative. 

On 11/23/2020 at 3:30 PM, Gifty said:

@Vorpal As a musician, feeling like I should pop in here: I know the internet has made this a very unpopular opinion, but musicians gotta eat, yo (especially right now, when nearly all of us in the USA are basically unemployed). This album's like 3+ hours long; if you were buying a record of this length from a standalone band, or god forbid in any kind of physical format, it would likely cost double what Aubrey's charging here. And $54 is definitely a lot to spend on music all at once, but that's because you're buying like ten hours of material. Just my 2 cents!

Not that I necessarily disagree, but do video game composers not get residuals, like other musicians?

Or do they only get paid once for a soundtrack?

7 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

do video game composers not get residuals, like other musicians?

Or do they only get paid once for a soundtrack?

Generally paid per minute of music, probably 100-250 USD/min would be something a kickstarter tier game is paying its composer. A "famous" (in terms of game industry) composer might be able to lock in some much bigger contract. I doubt any musician or composer is getting royalties from a video game though, unless they were a founding member of the studio in which case their "royalties" are in the form of shares of the company, not per-sale of Video-Game-[X]-That-They-Worked-On.

Wasn't trying to derail Aubrey's thread; all I mean to say is, art is labor, labor has worth. Privileged megastars like Taylor Swift or Lars Ulrich have sort of ruined that argument for a lot of people, but it holds true for the overwhelming majority of smaller fish out there, whose wages Spotify measures in literal fractions of pennies.

Also no--I've never worked in the video game industry, but my understanding is that composer royalties are overwhelmingly not the norm. I think Bobby Prince's agreement with Id was probably afforded by his special relationship with the studio really early on when everything was a little more wild west.

Edited by Gifty

I was just wondering, because I share the frustration with the prices but at the same time I cannot really complain since Aubrey Hodges had the good sense to upload his soundtracks on Bandcamp, where you can listen them for free!

IMO $18 is perfectly reasonable and if I was in a more favourable position financially right now I'd happily pay above that because that soundtrack really is worth it.

On 11/25/2020 at 11:12 AM, Job said:

PSX Final Doom had the superior sound track over PSX Doom, change my mind. 

I totally agree.