Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aubrey Hodges

Final Doom Soundtrack: 20th Anniversary Edition has been released

I’m listening to this soundtrack for the first time through, and I’ve gotta ask: @Aubrey Hodges, was Ennio Morri one’s theme for The Thing an influence on Credits and Demo? They’re very similar in an excellent way.

Just ordered this off Bandcamp, I agree with some other comments about the pricing, I am used to paying between £7 and £10 for soundtracks in the UK, but these are typically between 1 and 1.5 hours long, whereas this Final Doom 20th anniversary one comes out at nearly 4.5 hours long, so £16.89 (which is what this soundtrack came out at including tax) is good value for the amount that we're getting.

The Credits & Demo was one of my favourite tracks in the original version.  I don't detect a lot of similarity with Ennio Morricone's theme for The Thing (as a big Morricone fan myself) - if anything I think the main PSX Doom theme has more in common with The Thing's theme.  But I do note that Ennio Morricone is probably the starkest example of a mainstream film composer who has experimented with similar styles of music to the PSX Doom & Final Doom soundtracks, and the soundtrack album for The Thing is as good an example of this as any.

I always had a preference for the PSX Doom over the PSX Final Doom soundtrack but it remains to be seen whether this expanded release for Final Doom will convince me otherwise.  Having previewed a few of the tracks I particularly like the piano arrangement in the final track "The End Of It All".

Edited by ENEMY!!!

22 minutes ago, ENEMY!!! said:

Just ordered this off Bandcamp, I agree with some other comments about the pricing, I am used to paying between £7 and £10 for soundtracks in the UK, but these are typically between 1 and 1.5 hours long, whereas this Final Doom 20th anniversary one comes out at nearly 4.5 hours long, so £16.89 (which is what this soundtrack came out at including tax) is good value for the amount that we're getting.

The Credits & Demo was one of my favourite tracks in the original version.  I don't detect a lot of similarity with Ennio Morricone's theme for The Thing (as a big Morricone fan myself) - if anything I think the main PSX Doom theme has more in common with The Thing's theme.  But I do note that Ennio Morricone is probably the starkest example of a mainstream film composer who has experimented with similar styles of music to the PSX Doom & Final Doom soundtracks, and the soundtrack album for The Thing is as good an example of this as any.

I always had a preference for the PSX Doom over the PSX Final Doom soundtrack but it remains to be seen whether this expanded release for Final Doom will convince me otherwise.  Having previewed a few of the tracks I particularly like the piano arrangement in the final track "The End Of It All".

Having done a few maps for the GEC Master Edition project, I must say I'm quite fond of the unnerving tech vibes of Demon Drone. I made sure I put that in one of the maps I restored. :)

Demon Drone is over 14 minutes now too! I added a nice sort of high end detail and much better stereo imaging to that track as well. I am very happy with how Demon Drone turned out and glad to hear you found it useful for your mod.

53 minutes ago, Aubrey Hodges said:

Demon Drone is over 14 minutes now too! I added a nice sort of high end detail and much better stereo imaging to that track as well. I am very happy with how Demon Drone turned out and glad to hear you found it useful for your mod.

I enjoyed the new take on it quite a bit, yes.

Hopefully Erick can fix the fact it's supposed to loop in-game for Beta 4 of it. I know I let him know. :P

(I forgot the reason he said it didn't loop. Something weird with the WESS system, or that the loop flag wasn't set, from what I remember - the mod is for the original PS1 version, after all!)

On 11/27/2020 at 7:40 PM, Aubrey Hodges said:

I apologize for not posting that much lately...terribly busy with too many projects. 

If those are all music related, can you give an indication what some of those projects are?

I'm late to the party ....

PSX doom(s) was always my favourite game(s) and at least 60% of that was because of the OST which was haunting and suspenseful compared to the classic rock n roll OST. For me Hodges music IS doom. 

I listened to alot of the psx OST on band bandcamp for free but recently discovered everything on Spotify. All of Hodges stuff is on there if you have a subscription. And I have to say that the anniversary edition of doom/final doom ost is hands down my new favourite ost. Everything has been improved, expanded, deepened. It really is amazing. I must have listened to the doom psx album about 20 times by now. Spotify costs me £10pcm so a good deal I think. 

Thanks Aubrey for your work, its really stellar. From when I first heard your doom soundtrack when I was aged 10 to now in my 30s, those midi trumpets in the main theme will always give me goose pimples.

What music tracks from your Anniversary Edition Soundtracks would you personally recommend for the Master Levels which were not a part of PSX Final Doom?

• GARRISON.WAD ("The Garrison")
  • MANOR.WAD ("Titan Manor")

• TTRAP.WAD ("Trapped On Titan")

• BLOODSEA.WAD ("Bloodsea Keep")

• MEPHISTO.WAD ("Mephisto's Maosoleum")

• BLACKTWR.WAD ("Black Tower")

• TEETH.WAD ("The Express Elevator To Hell")

• TEETH.WAD ("Bad Dream")

Having listened to this a couple of times, other than the aforementioned "The End Of It All" my favourite tracks are "Larva Circuits" and "The Foulness Consumes".  I particularly like that brooding C minor music over the top of the well-placed ambient sounds - for the same reason "Mt Erebus" is my favourite track from the PSX Doom soundtrack.

Holy crap, Aubrey Hodges posts on here?! I'll try to hold back the obligatory WE'RE NOT WORTHY comment, but your work is the gold standard for "music I don't want to fall asleep to unless I want nightmares." It's an honor to have you here and I'll be sure to give these soundtracks the proper compensation. :)

19 hours ago, Sotenga said:

Holy crap, Aubrey Hodges posts on here?! I'll try to hold back the obligatory WE'RE NOT WORTHY comment, but your work is the gold standard for "music I don't want to fall asleep to unless I want nightmares." It's an honor to have you here and I'll be sure to give these soundtracks the proper compensation. :)

Speak for yourself; I find the PSX Doom game soundtracks very relaxing due to having grown up with them. I have fallen asleep listening to them often xD

Doom 64 though, since I never played that as a kid and thus have little memories of it, that soundtrack DOES unsettle me a little

Could someone please explain what's the origin of the music which is called "Justicia - Alone Against All" which is a copy-paste of Beyond Fear? For some reason, I got a complaint for using it in a plain, raw Doom walkthrough for Sega Saturn. Do they really have permission from @Aubrey Hodges to use it commercially and scold anyone who uses it?

I like the presentation on iTunes where several tracks play the same music. They don't even try to mask it.

Edited by Dimon12321

On 1/27/2021 at 10:09 AM, Dimon12321 said:

Could someone please explain what's the origin of the music which is called "Justicia - Alone Against All" which is a copy-paste of Beyond Fear? For some reason, I got a complaint for using it in a plain, raw Doom walkthrough for Sega Saturn. Do they really have permission from @Aubrey Hodges to use it commercially and scold anyone who uses it?

I like the presentation on iTunes where several tracks play the same music. They don't even try to mask it.

I got the same copyright claim on the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvhApHFtSs0

I don't enable monetization on any of my stuff so it shouldn't really be a problem in practice but something about the principle of the situation annoyed me enough to contest. I hate the idea of these greedy record companies claiming ownership over something they don't own, and samples the band likely used without permission. They got 30 days or so to respond and didn't do anything so now the claim has been lifted.

I've seen other PSX Doom videos mention the same issue too and sometimes disabling music to avoid it. In some cases they seemed to think @Aubrey Hodges was behind the copyright claims (and he is perfectly correct/entitled to claim as the creator, let me be clear on that) but it's probably more likely that it just YouTube's automated 'content id' system matching with the same track you mentioned above. I doubt there were actual humans involved in any of these situations...

Really strange though the way the band used that sample, it doesn't really fit with their track at all in any sort of sensible way. Also equally ridiculous that because of a dubious choice made by some random band in the 90s (that few have probably heard of) that streamers of Doom in the 2010's/20's are getting harassed, due to some AI overlord deciding it must be so. Can almost see some dark/dystopian humor in this situation, almost...