Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HatTrick

DosBox Issue

Alright, so I play a ton of older games. I was playing Duke 3D earlier which I have the disc for and installed in DOSBOX.

The game stuttered with the screen flashing on and off, parts of it at least. I fixed MOST of it with the framerate controls but it still had hickups.

Then I tried Redneck Rampage which I bought off of GOG, and it runs on DOSBOX and it STILL had those same issues.

How do you play these older games and not have these issues? Is there a setting im missing?

Change the machine option to vesa_nolfb and increase memsize to 64 in the DOSBox settings.

11 hours ago, HatTrick said:

How do you play these older games and not have these issues?

Use a port like GDX, Rednukem, and Raze.

Genuine question, is there a particular reason why you choose to stick to DOSBox with a couple alternatives around?

12 hours ago, seed said:

Use a port like GDX, Rednukem, and Raze.

Genuine question, is there a particular reason why you choose to stick to DOSBox with a couple alternatives around?

Because I want a totally genuine 1996 OG experience. That's why I bought the boxed version. I'm a purist. Unless it's for a mod or something I don't want to play an old game and soup it up with modern settings. That takes away all of the originality of the work of art.

Edited by HatTrick

12 hours ago, ASD said:

Change the machine option to vesa_nolfb and increase memsize to 64 in the DOSBox settings.

I'll try that.

12 hours ago, ASD said:

that did the trick. no annoying popping in and out now.

53 minutes ago, HatTrick said:

Because I want a totally genuine 1996 OG experience. That's why I bought the boxed version. I'm a purist. Unless it's for a mod or something I don't want to play an old game and soup it up with modern settings. That takes away all of the originality of the work of art.

GDX is somewhat vanilla on modern computer. This statement may come as pretentious, but most of this BUILD games doesnt have a released source code, so this fixed that.
There is no added features, most of them were available on the original games, like mouselook.

Only thing that may be not from the time frame they were released is just the bigger resolution and uncapped frame rate.
But you can stick with the original resolution and capped frame rate and thats it.

Not trying to convice you, as you are free to do as you like, but maybe you don't know about this.
You can have the same original experience with this sourceport.

Last night i played some Shadow Warrior maps on Dosbox and then i remmeber i could have played it on GDX.
There is no difference if you set things right.

Still remember when I was very, very new to Doom and tried to use DOSBox without any knowledge about source ports... Those were not fun times.

13 minutes ago, DSC said:

Still remember when I was very, very new to Doom and tried to use DOSBox without any knowledge about source ports... Those were not fun times.

I have no issued with source ports. I just want to play Duke Nukem 1996. Not Duke Nukem 2020.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

Only thing that may be not from the time frame they were released is just the bigger resolution and uncapped frame rate.
But you can stick with the original resolution and capped frame rate and thats it.

Dunno about uncapped framerate, but I can confirm that arbitrarily high resolutions were always supported in the vanilla Build engine using VESA 2.0 video modes, though only a select few were presented in the setup menu (oddly, a different set are available for the editor and the game itself). If you edit your DUKE3D.CFG file, you can set ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight to anything supported by your video driver (or emulated by DOSBox) and it will work. (I find 1280x1024 works best in DOSBox with machine=vesa_nolfb, but YMMV.)

On 11/23/2020 at 5:13 PM, HatTrick said:

Alright, so I play a ton of older games. I was playing Duke 3D earlier which I have the disc for and installed in DOSBOX.

The game stuttered with the screen flashing on and off, parts of it at least. I fixed MOST of it with the framerate controls but it still had hickups.

Then I tried Redneck Rampage which I bought off of GOG, and it runs on DOSBOX and it STILL had those same issues.

How do you play these older games and not have these issues? Is there a setting im missing?

Sourceports:

Duke 3D Sourceport

https://eduke32.com/

Red Nukem, Powerslave, and Blood Sourceport

https://lerppu.net/wannabethesis/

Additionally: https://github.com/dosbox-staging/dosbox-staging/wiki/Sourceport-Links-for-Classic-DOS-First-Person-Shooters

If you're still looking to play these games in Dosbox, use this instead:

https://dosbox-staging.github.io