Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MemeMind

Favorite Doom Wad Soundtrack?

Everyone focuses at the maps of a wad but lets take a Look at the music.

So what is your favorite Doom Wad Soundtrack and why?

My personal favorite is Ancient Alien's music, its so unique and ethereal like the maps, they all work together to make a great experience.
Also "Roof" is unironically one of my favorite pieces of music of all time.   

Im also adding QCDE's Music, even though its a Mod and not a Wad, its genually some of the best stuff I have heard.  I wish the modern Doom and Quake games had that level of metal.

Memento Mori

Memento Mori II

Requiem

Icarus: Alien Vanguard

Eternal Doom

TNT: Revilution

Those would be my favorites. Plutonia 2 gets an honorable mention, and Akeldama is pretty good even though I feel a bit biased mentioning it...

Icarus: Alien Vanguard is the best completely original one. 32 amazing tracks of varying musical styles, with a great reoccurring main theme.

Sunlust has great music, even though it comes from dozens of different places. 

Daedalus: Alien Defense is an acquired taste, but I definitely acquired it. 

Some of my picks are quite niche... I feel like Lunatic has some great tracks as short as it is, but despite all of the good music made by fans, i believe Doom 2's soundtrack is my favorite of them all. It is the most varied, yet it still helps the levels become much more pleasant or at least tolerable than they'd have been if they had a similar mood to Doom 1's soundtrack (which i do love, but wouldn't fit the practically disconnected nature of Doom 2's iwad progression). I do prefer Doom 2's soundtrack over most pwads soundtracks exactly for that greater range of variety.

Hell revealed! Lol ik its just mostly the rott soundtrack, so if that doesnt count, stardate 20x7. The map 2 track especially gives the map such a chill feeling and its one of my go tos

-STRAIN has one hell of a soundtrack

-Osiris TC by Jeremy Doyle is made by some of his most awesome compositions.

-Icarus: Alien Vanguard, even when there are few tracks that no one know who made them, its one of the most fitting soundtracks ever.

-Doom: Damnation, Ofisil was a hell of a composer and mapper. Its a shame that he doesn't have much free time to spend around here anymore :/

-Three is a Crowd strageness is really shown along it awesome soundtrack. Wanna feel confused and dizzied without taking drugs? Play that megawad and enjoy that soundtrack.

-Going Down i love this megawad and it soundtrack. So confusing, so strange, annoyingly amazing to accompany the endless cacophony of the chaotic evilness.

-Hell 2 Pay has some really amazing and atmospheric tracks. The map01 track is just perfect! Nothing beats the feeling that map made me feel to this day. Long adventure ahead as no other!

-Mars War, i didn't knew about the or what the hell was the Demoscene, and this megawad introduced me to it. Now i'm really glad of founding those awesome tracks.

-REKKR has the best soundtrack for sure. Amazing as the megawad!

-Reverie, Primeval doing what he knows best. Melt our faces!!!

-Revolution! Midi Pack, light hearted and relaxing adventure. Love it from the get go.

-The Talosian Incident not only showed that maps could be turned into a mystery, but they also included an ambient soundtrack that blow the hell away the concept of dooming alone in darkness.

-TNT: Revilution, has Bucket, Viscra Maelstrom, Eris Falling and Jeremy Doyle delivering the most awesome and punchy soundtrac ever to this date.

-Unholy Realms, Primeval returns again with an awesome and fitting soundtrack

-Vile Flesh i thanks the Doom gods every day of my life something like Vile Flesh soundtracks exist.

-Atonement, still and incomplete megawad, but just the soundtrack alone promise this will be a hell of a ride! Thanks, Dial-Up for Murder!

Those are not only some of my favourites megawads, i always come back to them also thanks to the amazing soundtrack they have. 

Edited by P41R47

First of all, TNT: Evilution - thanks to the fact that was the first custom soundtrack I ever heard in the Doom wad. Among IWADs however Ultimate Doom has the best music at my opinion.
Osiris TC was quite impressive too. And of course I shall mention Speed of Doom.

Struggle: The Antaresian Legacy. The music is so catchy I can barely play properly due to a near-irresistible urge to jam to the beat! I believe the soundtrack is mostly sourced from an obscure (on the english-speaking web anyway) South Korean game called Fortress 2. I know nothing about that game, but man its soundtrack is godtier!

Also, props to the original Doom 1 soundtrack. Honestly, there is nothing else quite like it. Doom 2 has some real bangers as well, like D_READ_M and D_DEAD.

I absolutely love the various soundtracks by Tolwyn and Mark Klem. That's the Memento Mori series, the Gothic DM series, Requiem, and STRAIN off the top of my head, might be forgetting some though. Of these, Memento Mori 2 has got to be the best. Special shoutouts to Anchor (Map05) and Backroad Wanderer (Map10), two of my all-time favorite MIDIs, though the rest of the soundtrack is top-tier as well.

There's so many to pick, I like the ones in Doom and Doom 2 a lot, really a lot, but out of the iwads I must say TNT is my favorite.

I've been driven to seek out the music they're all based on as well, and I enjoy that a lot.

For pwads, Sigil is a great one, and a rare one with a recorded soundtrack, the M1 theme especially gets me really pumped and into the game. TNT Revilution and Plutonia 2 are ones that really stick to me, going back to something really old, Osiris TC has a great soundtrack too, and I find myself just listening to the tracks from Crucified Dreams at times.

Double Impact also comes to mind, and some of the stuff in DTWID, and the soundtrack to Urban Brawl. Oh yeah, Doom : Damnation has some cool original music, and that's overall an underrated megawad.

I really could go on all day. Music is a huge part of what makes Doom for me.

BTSX Episode 1, Ancient Aliens, Eviternity, and Speed of Doom. Not the most unique choices, but those OSTs are widely known and loved for good reason.

I would absolutely love to see a "Best Original Soundtrack" category be added to the Cacowards lineup; music is a real challenge to create but plays an indispensable role in establishing tone and mood. To see it get the recognition it deserves would be incredible.

the mass ammount of midis in the dwango DM wads. thanks to Doomkid ive been having the video play in the background while talking to friends on discord and other stuff where its just a 10 hour epic of crunk worthy music to jam out to. 

Sigil Shreds - Half of the reason why I'm a Doom fan and full the reason why I have started playing it. Objectively the best Doom soundtrack. Those are not classic midis but recorded songs by the guitar maestro Buckethead. They're atmospheric and emotional. They make each level of Sigil a very special thing to play. 

Newgothic Movement 2 - It's rocking and it's gothic. Spectacular stuff.

Back To Saturn X - Jimmy's and Andrea's bandcamp pages have collections with free mp3's so I recommend those. An obvious classic.

Happy - Filled with familiar black metal tunes, Akira Yamaoka and similar goodness. NEED I SAY MORE? Go play this astonishing wad. 

Stardate 20X7 - mostly mellow tunes. They get old after some time because the wad is super challenging but they're really good.

The most memorable individual midis:

Mu Cephei From Sunlust - again it's something in which you can feel the emotion and it blends really well with this beautiful map.

Eclipse Of The Betelguese from Antaresian Reliquiary - the map commits the sin of not being well adjusted for GZDoom but it's truly a sight to behold and has an orcherstral midi that's a must-listen.

Edited by <<Rewind

This isn't a soundtrack but check it out. A-mazing

-----------------------

QUESTION: Where is that thread about recognizing the tune or something?

What I'm looking for is that single 40-something minutes long metal midi from some slaughter wad. It's constant shredding and soloing. Anyone remember?

Edited by <<Rewind

6 minutes ago, <<Rewind said:

What I'm looking for is that single 40-something minutes long metal midi from some slaughter wad. It's constant shredding and soloing. Anyone remember?

This one perhaps?

20 minutes ago, <<Rewind said:

QUESTION: Where is that thread about recognizing the tune or something?