Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OniriA

Diego Maradona Dead

Football legend Diego Maradona, one of the greatest players of all time, has died at the age of 60.

The former Argentina attacking midfielder and manager suffered a heart attack.

He had successful surgery on a brain blood clot earlier in November and was to be treated for alcohol dependency.

Maradona was captain when Argentina won the 1986 World Cup, producing a series of sublime individual performances to lead his team to glory.

In a statement on Twitter, the Argentine Football Association expressed "its deepest sorrow for the death of our legend", adding: "You will always be in our hearts."

Maradona played for Barcelona and Napoli during his club career, winning two Serie A titles with the Italian side.

Maradona scored 34 goals in 91 appearances for Argentina, representing them in four World Cups.

He led his country to the 1990 final in Italy, where they were beaten by West Germany, before captaining them again in the United States in 1994, but was sent home after failing a drugs test for ephedrine.

During the second half of his career, Maradona struggled with cocaine addiction and was banned for 15 months after testing positive for the drug in 1991.

He retired from professional football in 1997, on his 37th birthday, during his second stint at Argentine giants Boca Juniors.

Having briefly managed two sides in Argentina during his playing career, Maradona was appointed head coach of the national team in 2008 and left after the 2010 World Cup, where his side were beaten by Germany in the quarter-finals.

He subsequently managed teams in the United Arab Emirates and Mexico and was in charge of Gimnasia y Esgrima in Argentina's top flight at the time of his death.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54810392

Sad day for soccer fans worldwide : (

When I could not think about a worse moment for Argentina, this happens. Yet, people started to hate him because of his attitude and some past errors of his personal life.

This is sad. I was named after him, and even thought I'm not feeling bad,  I can already feel an Strange sensation and a strongly dark climate all from the sudden, people, TV, social media. Everything feels off place.

We knew this was going to happen some day but we were not prepared.

This feeling is something else,  pretty eeire.  Pretty undescribable.

I can only recall the death of the last pope for the catholic world in terms of collective emotion. 

By skill alone one of the top tier players of his time. Messi was once called his successor (And you could argue if Chris Ronaldo's work ethic isn't equally magic) But outside of the field equally infamous.

His death way too timely and early, a legendary player has left the field, having made the Goal of the century, and the goal of one Collective generation.

Sensible topic for most argentinian people.
Even when i am from Argentina, never felt soo much connected to the soccer fanatism almost everyone has here.

So i only get to appreciate him by his outstanding sport achievements.

A shame that this happends just a few days after he come out without problems from a major medical intervention.

We will know on a few days the cause of death.
As for now, we are on three days of National Mourning.

R.I.P Diego Armando Maradona

4 hours ago, OniriA said:

Sad day for soccer fans worldwide : (

*and the USA goes on completely ignoring soccer as usual...*

I am mexican, and I don't really like soccer, but I feel bad for all the fans out there who used to scream and jump off happines after Maradona scored a gol , RIP Maradona

Oh man, that's rough to hear.  RIP.

7 hours ago, Master O said:

*and the USA goes on completely ignoring soccer as usual...*

You'd be surprised.  The US has a soccer league and just because they don't cover it much on ESPN doesn't mean people don't watch it or go to games.

10 hours ago, AlexMax said:

Oh man, that's rough to hear.  RIP.

You'd be surprised.  The US has a soccer league and just because they don't cover it much on ESPN doesn't mean people don't watch it or go to games.

Getting back on topic, it's sad to hear that Maradona is dead.  If anything, I'm more surprised Maradona's cocaine addiction didn't kill him first.