Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nanami

Clone Monster Sound Replacement

I'm working on something for a wad and I wanted to know if anyone could help me with this.

I made a clone of a monster and replaced a useless item (dead lost soul), then modified it a bit. What I want to do is make this clone monster make a different sound than its original counterpart. Like, for example...

I replace dead lost soul with a mancubus that moves slower and has more HP. I want to keep the original mancubus EXACTLY how he is, as well as not changing ANYTHING about any of the existing monsters, but I want to make the new clone play a recording of a cat meowing when it attacks. I'm only using DeHacked patches, but is there a way I can do that?

Edit: The sound I want to use is in .wav format. I have DeePsea, so if anyone can tell me what steps I need to take...

DeHackEd manages the "active" "spotting" "pain" "attack" and so on sounds for each thing. These sounds, of course, only go with the frames that do such things. You can use one monster's frames on another thing (dead lost soul in this example) which means the new creature will do many of the things the mancubus does (throw multiple fireballs, mainly) but you can change most of the sounds it makes, and also the general bit values of the thing (whether or not it is shootable, possible color changes, whether it flies, if it's invisible, etc.)

Yeah... I pretty much know how DeHacked works. I just mean, how do I put that .wav file in my wad and then tell DeHacked to read that file whenever the cloned monster does the thing I want the sound to accompany?

Give it the name of a sound that you will not use... maybe Commander Keen's pain sound, or something. You can give that name to the lump, or else call the lump whatever you like (as long as the name is not too long, usually ds + 3-6 characters) and then change the sound entry name with DeHackEd using the text editor (F7) to what you chose.

It sounds like you have things covered now, but it is probably worth pointing out that one of the sounds the mancubus uses is tied in to the code pointers. Frame 376 has a pointer to play the sound dsmanatk. It always plays this sound, so you may have to accept that sound for both your original and modified monster, or remove the pointer and allocate sounds differently. But of course, you said you want the original left alone.

You didn't say if this was for any specific port, but if it is for the newer versions of Zdoom, you can define a sound in the sndinfo lump and put the name of the defined sound in your dehacked patch where dehacked would normally put replacement sound numbers. This means that with Zdoom you are not limited to the sound "slots" available in the original doom exe. So, you could leave the Keen sound alone too.

Actually, the monster I'm cloning isn't a mancubus, I only used it as an example because I don't want to give away what I'm really doing. =)

But anyway, thanks for the tip. I'm trying to make the wad be sort of vanilla. It's not entirely because there's a slight error in Doom2.exe, but it will run with any other port.

I ended up using SDKEENDT for the sound since it's not like I'm going to need any Commander Keens.