Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soon2bGlue

DOOMED ALIENS

Hi guys

I have previously mentioned regarding my Doom mod, swapping enemies for Aliens using the 90s Kenner action figures as models for my sprites.

This is a work in progress but I thought I would upload stuff here as I go on, including runs of levels on youtube.

This is definitely a work in progress, eventually I hope to create my own levels and such, at the moment, enemy swaps are where I am at.

I am using WackED and Slade to achieve what I have done so far. I openly encourage all constructive criticism and advice, I have only been doing this for a few weeks so am completely new to it. I have NEVER modded a game before so please be patient with me :-D

You guys are always so great and willing to lend expertise advice and I really appreciate it.

Cheers guys.

(I'm hoping to upload two videos a week)

Here is the latest link to see how I have progressed- E1M9

Edited by Soon2bGlue : Adding link

STORY SO FAR... Dark. Empty. Silent. This is deep space... and the vicious aliens are attacking! It is said that one force has the guns and the guts to face these ugly monsters- the marines! But when the marines are overwhelmed they send for one man- You... Herc Mondo! Proud proprietor and sole employee of Mondo Pest, you carry out a one man bug extermination service when infestations prove too much for the brave men and women of the USCM to handle... and this job is going to be a doozy! Welcome to Kenner's World- an unremarkable rock in the middle of a sector of space best known for the elbow room. As soon as it was discovered it was assigned to the file labelled "NO STRATEGIC VALUE, NO NATURAL RESOURCES, NO PLACE FOR A VACATION." Nobody returned since then... or at least that's what people thought... Weyland-Yutani have been using the remote world to carry out genetic experiments on the aliens- and the results are horrifying, resulting in mutations far deadlier than any encountered before! The marines sent in four squadrons to deal with the mutant monstrosities after the creatures broke out of confinement and wiped out the W-Y scientists- they failed and their are no survivors. Colonial Administration demands the Kenner facilities be completely sterilised before this alien threat spreads to other planets and beyond. The odds of survival are low- the odds of successfully completing your mission are even lower, but that's never scared you away from a lucrative payday before! Lock and load- and don't stop shooting until every one of those alien suckers are wiped out!

Interesting, pal!
This has potential.

So this sprites are made by taking photos of the different action figures?
Cool!

I read that you just started modding a few weeks back.
You really made quite and advancement here for sure. ;)

Keep at it!

As a criticism, or feedback from the videos, you could make them move faster. Aliens should be deadly short range monsters.
And maybe there could be a variant that shoot acid from their mouth.

have you played Aliens TC for U.Doom?
This will give you some inspirations for sure ;)

41 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Interesting, pal!
This has potential.

So this sprites are made by taking photos of the different action figures?
Cool!

I read that you just started modding a few weeks back.
You really made quite and advancement here for sure. ;)

Keep at it!

As a criticism, or feedback from the videos, you could make them move faster. Aliens should be deadly short range monsters.
And maybe there could be a variant that shoot acid from their mouth.

have you played Aliens TC for U.Doom?
This will give you some inspirations for sure ;)

Way ahead of you on the speed front, faster variations will be introduced as the game goes on- as will acid spitting creatures.

Maybe i will speed up the basic warriors in the earlier levels if you think that works in the future, speed is definitely key.

I haven't played Aliens TC yet but I want to. I have watched a tiny bit of it on you tube and it looks AMAZING!!!.

As an interesting side note I noticed when watching bits of it- the queen alien in it is created using the same Kenner toys as me :-) look up the sprite sheet and the kenner alien queen and you'll see what I mean :-D

Looks pretty nice, especially for someone new to modding. I also recommend checking out Aliens TC. I love mods like this, reminds me of an Alien version of Gothic Doom. How differently do the Aliens behave compared to their Doom counterparts?

Also, just a word of advice, you can edit your OP to include the videos and stuff instead of making separate posts.

Nice work man, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

EDIT: Also, do you think you could take some close up screenshots of the aliens? They can be kind of hard to see in the videos :)

7 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Looks pretty nice, especially for someone new to modding. I also recommend checking out Aliens TC. I love mods like this, reminds me of an Alien version of Gothic Doom. How differently do the Aliens behave compared to their Doom counterparts?

Also, just a word of advice, you can edit your OP to include the videos and stuff instead of making separate posts.

Nice work man, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

EDIT: Also, do you think you could take some close up screenshots of the aliens? They can be kind of hard to see in the videos :)

Thanks man :-)

Some aliens are straight reskins, some act a little differently and some have completely different behaviours (although bare in mind I am not a coder and working with behaviours already in the game)

For example- Pinky is replaced by Bull Alien and acts the same. Imp is replaced by warrior, acts the same but only has a melee attack with 50% extra health and speed.  Shotgunners are now scorpion alien- they have stats of imp with only a melee BUT when killed they explode like a barrel. Zombieguys are now facehuggers that use the lost soul attack to charge the player (and are much smaller targets)

Each episode has different enemies introduced and old ones swapped out- eg bull for rhino, which has double the health. I've clocked that monsters can  be categorised into standard/turret/pinky and has behaviour changes based on these. Thus a warrior for example can be based on any standard eg a zombie, shotgun, imp, cacodemon, baron if I wished. Thus the cacodemon stand in of ep2 is completely different than the cacodemon stand in of ep3.

Good tip about the editing of posts,.I'll replace the additional link in future rather than add them as new posts.

Also, I'll work on getting the screenshots 👍

5 hours ago, VGA said:

Check out this mod, too

That looks amazing,  I'd love to be able to make something like that in future!! Looks like it would take ALOT of work!!