Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thermal Lance

Which game currently destroys you?

Just curious if anybody else is trying to beat an insanely hard game. Me? I'm getting destroyed trying to beat even the first level of Super Ghouls 'n' Ghost. I've beaten Super Star Wars but this game... THIS GAME... Is a whole other level of bullshit. Haha

Any of you also struggling with a videogame?

Not really a full game but Smilecythe's: Mana Vemputin map from Quake's January Jump Jam is really destroying me right now. While playing it a few weeks ago it was making my hands hurt and my brain die with frustration. I am not the worst peon when it comes to platforming, but this map is some next level insanity.

I do think that it is a very beautiful map, but unfortunately my skills are not enough to enjoy it. Here is a preview video from GroinMischief.

4 minutes ago, Halfblind said:

Not really a full game but Smilecythe's: Mana Vemputin map from Quake's January Jump Jam is really destroying me right now. While playing it a few weeks ago it was making my hands hurt and my brain die with frustration. I am not the worst peon when it comes to platforming, but this map is some next level insanity.

I do think that it is a very beautiful map, but unfortunately my skills are not enough to enjoy it. Here is a preview video from GroinMischief.

This does look insane indeed!

I gave up on it but I seriously don't think I've played a more unreasonably hard game that I might enjoy if it wasn't than Descent, past the shareware levels. Shareware levels are fine, then after that I can't fucking believe how impossible it is to me... on the easiest skill setting. 

1 hour ago, hybridial said:

I gave up on it but I seriously don't think I've played a more unreasonably hard game that I might enjoy if it wasn't than Descent, past the shareware levels. Shareware levels are fine, then after that I can't fucking believe how impossible it is to me... on the easiest skill setting. 

As someone who just played through Descent 1 and 2 recently on Hotshot skill, I agree that the Descent games are pretty Hard. However, most players also struggle because they don't have a good keyboard scheme and thus can't beat them even on the easier skills.

The default keyboard settings in descent1/2 are pretty bad in my opinion. I change them to something that is very familiar for first person shooter players. For example, I have:

- WASD for accelerate, slide left, reverse and slide right respectively (kinda like you in FPS games).

- Ctrl and Space are for slide down and slide up (kinda like how Ctrl and Space are crouch and jump in FPS games).

- Q and E for bank left and right.

- Shift for afterburner in Descent 2 (which is like sprinting in FPS games).

- F for flare.

- T for energy transfer and H for headight in Descent 2.

- Mouse is used for turning and firing.

I also have ship autoleveling turned off in gameplay settings (I don't know if this is an option in vanilla, but if you use DXX-Rebirth it is there). Hopefully with these settings, you should be able to beat the games on easiest skill.

If you want more tips about Descent, I am available.

4 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

If you want more tips about Descent, I am available.

Well before anything else, I should probably say I use a controller, I used software to get a controller configuration that is the same I have used in Forsaken Remastered and Overload.

And if Descent is just a bad idea on a controller all round, then I'll just have to accept its not for me. For health reasons only a controller is viable for me. Maybe a proper joystick, but I don't know if that'd be a worthwhile purchase really for just a handful of games I play. 

10 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I also have ship autoleveling turned off in gameplay settings (I don't know if this is an option in vanilla, but if you use DXX-Rebirth it is there).

It is an option in vanilla Descent too.

Stretching the definition of 'currently' a bit, some of the bosses in Dark Souls 3 gave me a hard time when I was playing it last year. I died 20+ times to one of the later ones. Similarly, there is a zone in Hollow Knight called the White Palace, which is filled with extremely difficult platforming challenges. It took me five hours of constant suffering to beat that zone. Worse, there is a hidden area accessible from the White Palace called the Path of Pain. Just... look it up on youtube. I bounced right off that monstrosity.

1 hour ago, hybridial said:

Well before anything else, I should probably say I use a controller, I used software to get a controller configuration that is the same I have used in Forsaken Remastered and Overload.

And if Descent is just a bad idea on a controller all round, then I'll just have to accept its not for me. For health reasons only a controller is viable for me. Maybe a proper joystick, but I don't know if that'd be a worthwhile purchase really for just a handful of games I play. 

Oh ok then. I don't use a controller so I don't know the best config for it, but if you can get through Overload, then you should probably be able to get through Descent on Trainee difficulty using same-ish config as Overload.

Other than that, I can only advise you to be careful of the Class 1 Drillers (one that use vulcan) and the red hulks with homing missiles. These are the 2 most annoying enemies in Descent 1 in my opinion. For Driller, use homing missiles from corners when you see them. For the red hulks, either use corners as cover or just try to strafe perpendicular when their missiles are coming at you.

The endgame of Star Wars Galaxies Legends but especially the space missions, the gunships and shuttles destroy my Tie Interceptor with ease, also Elite Dangerous with only a Sidewinder because I'm already finding the grind tedious and am afraid to do anything other than courier/delivery missions in case I am not good enough to handle the other kinds of stuff yet, also know fuck all about getting a new ship and what gear I'd have to get.

Edited by Avoozl

Really chafes my ass that I just streamed 4 hours of Oxenfree and my computer decided to crash in the middle of what I presume is the ending.

tOUhOU 11

192px-Th11DB-Orin1stNonSpell.jpg

the max i can survive is until stage 5, but I arrive with 0 lives and 0 bombs

4 hours ago, hybridial said:

Those hitscan enemies are worse than a jumpscare. You know which one if you complaim about descent. :)

1 hour ago, Avoozl said:

Endgame of Star Wars Galaxies Legends and Elite Dangerous because I'm already finding the grind tedious and am afraid to do anything other than courier/delivery missions in case I am not good enough to handle the other kinds of stuff yet.

Painite mining is very lucrative in Elite. :) You should give it a go someday. And it is one of the safest jobs when done right.

3 hours ago, Pegg said:

I still need to finish 5 Cell mode in Dead Cells sometime. Always dies around the end.. probably should stop using meme weapons.

The game is surprisingly both balanced and hard at this mode. Perhaps you could try using the Sandals tactic.

12 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

The game is surprisingly both balanced and hard at this mode. Perhaps you could try using the Sandals tactic.

It is just that I am playing other games instead of finishing 5 Cell. It doesn't feel much different from 4 Cells at all tbh.. aside from the astrolab. 

6 hours ago, hybridial said:

Bro, it sounds like you need to invest in a PantherXL or SpaceOrb 360

Edited by Slipgate Tourist

Hollow Knight

White Palace...

I hadn't given up on a game in a decade.

Thank god it's optional

Honestly what's been destroying me lately is my first nightmare Eternal runthrough. I don't fucking understand how anyone could do the whole thing without dying

Blood "Extra Crispy" pitchfork starts is something really special. It's tough as fuck but managing it is fun as heck. Cultists and Fanatics are by far the most dangerous foes you'll encounter, and they are plentiful.

I only need to beat the 4th episode and Cryptic Passage, already beat Postmortem.

Playing it on Fresh Supply and it's awesome.

I've been playing the Risen series.

Risen 1 was tough, a lot of understanding the mechanics is required to beat it and death awaits the unwary around every corner but I conquered it.

Risen 2 is a whole other beast though, if you are not trained in so much as the basic skills like kicking, parries or heavy attacks (which are expensive as sin at the start and a lack of trainers at some later parts doesn't help) you are shafted, I forgot to do lockpick training and now robery is nearly impossible so I can't fund my abilities comfortably because of this.

The combat itself is somewhat even jankier than Risen 1 because the camera no longer controls where you are facing (meaning I'll beat the shit out of a bush to the left of the screen as I try to fight the folks I'm looking at) and there is no shields so blocking don't help either, enemies can now relentlessly pounce at you with no rest between volleys...

I want to like Piranha Bites games but they seem to always mong up the sequel.

11 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

The default keyboard settings in descent1/2 are pretty bad in my opinion. I change them to something that is very familiar for first person shooter players. For example, I have:

- WASD for accelerate, slide left, reverse and slide right respectively (kinda like you in FPS games).

- Ctrl and Space are for slide down and slide up (kinda like how Ctrl and Space are crouch and jump in FPS games).

- Q and E for bank left and right.

- Shift for afterburner in Descent 2 (which is like sprinting in FPS games).

- F for flare.

- T for energy transfer and H for headight in Descent 2.

- Mouse is used for turning and firing.

I also have ship autoleveling turned off in gameplay settings (I don't know if this is an option in vanilla, but if you use DXX-Rebirth it is there). Hopefully with these settings, you should be able to beat the games on easiest skill.

Haha I came to the same conclusion when I rediscovered Descent. I also remembered how terribly sluggish mouselook was in the game. How the hell did I ever play it with the default settings?

Also, fuck this asshole so very much.

2-Super-Hulk.png

Edited by Chow Yun Thin

I'm torturing myself by trying to finish Skyrim and BOTH DLC's on Legendary difficulty.

I'm at around 50 deaths so far, half of the main story quests completed, killed off the Dark Brotherhood and I finally learnt 1/3 become ethereal shout.

All in all Destruction magic goes brrrrrrrrrr.

McDonald land on the commodore amiga. I can not find the cards necessary to get to birdie's house. It doesn't help that I have no manual. But playing on a real amiga like the one I just bought is quite fun. 

I think I've played Descent long enough that I'm completely used to it's bullshit. Even the sluggish turning isn't too bad for me (though maybe I should finally get a good flight stick for constant turning...) A zero life loss run on even Hotshot is out of my grasp, but I can beat the game pretty effectively on Ace at this point. The later skills are odd because while you're much more likely to die, you're almost always getting at least one extra life every level simply due to the skill level based modifier applied at the end of each level.

It kinda reminds me of an early arcade game, though much more generous with the 1-ups.