Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ClumsyDoomer

Explaining TAS in a popular science styled video (or trying to)

As of recently, coming up with weird near-impossible challenges in Doom and talking about them in popular science styled videos has become a trend. I succumbed to the lockdown ferocity and decided to try and make a similar video from a slightly different perspective.

Commenting on my Ultimate Doom TAS that finishes each episode without taking/giving damage. Tried to spice up the thing with memes (sorry), personal thoughts and the context to make it more accessible. So far this is a freshly started experiment, all feedback will be appreciated and noted. 
Version without accent is not available yet, alas

https://youtu.be/dyAdSJsy6_8

I didn't find some memes funny, but otherwise the video is cool and fun to watch.

I'm surprised how a demon walking in the pool on E2M6 actually solved the problem with crossing it in less then 32 tics. Wasn't it better to take the time, run to the intermediate platform on the way to the switch and match the timing to make the damaging tic happen just while you were crossing the edge of that platform (or while you're falling from it back at the pool) without losing momentum and run to the switch?

While I am not so much into IWAD runs, there's a lot to like in the video.

Pausing to comment about moments that took lots of effort / problems to solve.

View from different cameras.

Favourite remark, at about 11 minute mark: "Unfortunately, it hadn't been discovered in the time of making this run"

I only had ?!?! reaction when I saw the definition "Pacifist = no damage allowed, including damaging yourself (...)", I mean, since when? That's new! Also, I have doubts whether a non-TASer can appreciate what's going on.

It looks like there's lots of extra effort to create this video after already tons of effort on the demos themselves. Thanks!

8 hours ago, vdgg said:

I only had ?!?! reaction when I saw the definition "Pacifist = no damage allowed, including damaging yourself (...)", I mean, since when? That's new!

Thanks. That's the paradigm i chose, since it's very easy to check using -trace_givendamage 0. It takes self damage into account. so i made that a rule for myself. Should be the standard for TAS, imo: there are no "unintended telefrags" unless they were made unavoidable by the mapper. It's just slightly stricter and simpler, doesn't transgress the actual definition. The official rules are on DSDA of course

21 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

run to the intermediate platform on the way to the switch and match the timing to make the damaging tic happen just while you were crossing the edge of that platform (or while you're falling from it back at the pool) without losing momentum and run to the switch?

I might be missing something here, but that's exactly what i did, it still takes more than 32 frames without the demon (35-36?)
With the demon wallrun i end up 0.11 units inside the switch sector at the damaging frame, so there's still zero room for error

8 hours ago, vdgg said:

Favourite remark, at about 11 minute mark: "Unfortunately, it hadn't been discovered in the time of making this run"

Well, despite the fact his E1M8 run is slower by 2 secs then NoMo TAS, he didn't take damage from monsters because he finished the game outside the death closet

Edited by Dimon12321