Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

[Announcement] The DWMaster Endurance Tournament, sponsored by the Doom Master Wadazine

Really cool! I have a recommendation for the leaderboard though, that I think will get more people to participate:

Instead of just listing the top few players in the WADazine, I think it would be cool if you could just have a page that lists everyone's rankings overall. That way everyone who participated will be in the magazine. You could just list the top three in a big fancy font with some medals next to their name to make them stand out more. Just an idea :)

Sounds really fun, I haven't ever participated in a competition like this.

1 minute ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Really cool! I have a recommendation for the leaderboard though, that I think will get more people to participate:

Instead of just listing the top few players in the WADazine, I think it would be cool if you could just have a page that lists everyone's rankings overall. That way everyone who participated will be in the magazine. You could just list the top three in a big fancy font with some medals next to their name to make them stand out more. Just an idea :)

Sounds really fun, I haven't ever participated in a competition like this.

Thank you!

And yes, there's actually a leaderboard ready and prepared for the first tournament in a few days. Once the first scores start flowing, I'll make it public. I actually said it here:

your place is secured in our leaderboard and shall not be forgotten. Is not only about the destination, but the journey.

:D

Hope to see you in the first tournament!

5 minutes ago, Krenium said:

Very interesting. Will the wad(s) be announced ahead of time or only on the 1st?

During the 1st, so everyone get's the exact same surprise and chance to compete. ;)

I am absolutely amazed by the rate you pump all these ideas out.

And not just half-empty ideas, but fully fleshed out projects, ready for action.

Inspiring. Impressive. Invalueable. Thanks, @Endless

Cool Idea. So for the Standard Competition you can die and use saves but you're not suppose to "overuse" them? That seems a bit ambiguous. I think it would make sense to just be allowed to have 1 save at the start of each map (so if you die you don't pistol start). Or another "checkpoint" system such as you are allowed a save after each Key pickup. Another issue with this is for CL2 demos you can't save/load unless you segmented the Demo which would be.. sketchy to say the least as it would edit out your deaths. :) However you can Save/load for CL9 Demos ( I assume CL11 as well).

Basically, this is a quick wrapped fusion of both Ironman and Ironeagle. And this is a third "competition" to add in the ranks of this forum....welp.

Still, the basic play-until-you-die-or-survive-saveless-and-modless rule is what I like to do. Just one run and that's it. Can't wait to see what wad you will choose.

21 minutes ago, Bdubzzz said:

Cool Idea. So for the Standard Competition you can die and use saves but you're not suppose to "overuse" them? That seems a bit ambiguous. I think it would make sense to just be allowed to have 1 save at the start of each map (so if you die you don't pistol start). Or another "checkpoint" system such as you are allowed a save after each Key pickup. Another issue with this is for CL2 demos you can't save/load unless you segmented the Demo which would be.. sketchy to say the least as it would edit out your deaths. :) However you can Save/load for CL9 Demos ( I assume CL11 as well).

As long as you're not that guy that saves every single dead Imp, haha.

About the demos, that's actually a thing I did not expect, and is a bit worrying since I know some people do prefer demo format... hmm. Well, if you say CL9 Demos can/allow for saves & loads, I would imagine that's the road most demo-users will use. I hope.

Is it like the ironman and ironeagle where we have to submit our first run, or do we get as many tries as we can pump out in a month?

14 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Basically, this is a quick wrapped fusion of both Ironman and Ironeagle. And this is a third "competition" to add in the ranks of this forum....welp.

Still, the basic play-until-you-die-or-survive-saveless-and-modless rule is what I like to do. Just one run and that's it. Can't wait to see what wad you will choose.

Pretty much! In a way, this is all about your speed & endurance. Survival and victory depends on your patience and thirst for victory ;)

16 minutes ago, Clippy said:

Where's the map I'm on vacation and this is right up my alley

December 1st, we'll get going so stay tuned!

3 minutes ago, Arbys550 said:

Is it like the ironman and ironeagle where we have to submit our first run, or do we get as many tries as we can pump out in a month?

One single try for the month! To avoid a constant reset of scores. And of course, following and indicating any of the 3 categories.

40 minutes ago, Endless said:

As long as you're not that guy that saves every single dead Imp, haha

As someone who does thoroughly use quick save and quick load for even remotely difficult sections, I agree a bit more guidance on this probably sensible.

I agree that the idea of being allowed to save once at the beginning of a map (or the equivalent autosave if playing on ZDoom ports) seems a good balance. Or you could make it a tactical feature and say people are also allowed one additional save per map, but where they put that save is up to them.

1 minute ago, Bauul said:

As someone who does thoroughly use quick save and quick load for even remotely difficult sections, I agree a bit more guidance on this probably sensible.

I agree that the idea of being allowed to save once at the beginning of a map (or the equivalent autosave if playing on ZDoom ports) seems a good balance. Or you could make it a tactical feature and say people are also allowed one additional save per map, but where they put that save is up to them.

I see. I'll recreate the rule and make it more concise then. Maybe a fixed number of saves per map?

How about: Each competitor is allowed to save 4 times per map ? The moment or place of the save is up to the user. This way, more casual and save-heavy users can have more than enough chance to backup, but those that simple don't can also ignore it.

Up to them to save. But, 4 times might be too much, except if some nasty set is chosen.

2 or 3 should be enough for more casual sets. When and where is up to the player.

12 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Up to them to save. But, 4 times might be too much, except if some nasty set is chosen.

2 or 3 should be enough for more casual sets. When and where is up to the player.

Agree. Thanks for the opinion! Any feedback or comment that you might wanna make, please share, helps a lot leo!

uh.......

1 minute ago, Endless said:

Agree. Thanks for the opinion! Any feedback or comment that you might wanna make, please share, helps a lot leo!

Been participating ironman and ironeagle for months :D 

I think you should check and read both of those sessions and gather some info if you have the time. Then you can have some ideas that can help to improve the rules. 

This sounds great, I'll definitely participate.

For the saves, I'd limit it to 2 per map and word it in such a way that it's obviously supposed to be used as checkpoints ("No quicksaves, 2 saves per map").

UPDATE

STANDARD COMPETITION RULES:

• 1.      Any skill level is valid, this includes NM! in case a mad doomer out there is crazy enough to try it. UV Fast is also allowed! All under your own responsibility.
  • 7.      You can save up to 3 total times per map (Especially difficult WADs may have more saves.) When and where is up to you.

CHALLENGE COMPETITION RULES:

• 1.      Ultra-Violence, UV Fast or NM! only. This is up to you. Slighly better chances to get a better score with higher skills.

TOURNAMENT HOST COMMENTS:

Another aspect that I encourage all competitors is to share their experiences, opinions and comments! Gameplay videos with live-commentary are more than welcome, they are cheered up. Civilized discussion and communication among both competitors and organizers is as much fun as playing. Some comments might even find their way into the winning article.

Edited by Endless

So, streams/videos with the provided demo are acceptable (that is, if the recorder doesn't shit bricks or if some power outage screw the run)? Because having both will help to be more believable in case that needs to be checked by some other people to see if the player cheated or something.

1 minute ago, leodoom85 said:

So, streams/videos with the provided demo are acceptable (that is, if the recorder doesn't shit bricks or if some power outage screw the run)? Because having both will help to be more believable in case that needs to be checked by some other people to see if the player cheated or something.

Of course! If the competitor wants to share both a video/VOD alongside a -demo, it's more than welcome to do so. As long as the demo works well in case the user is using saves & loads that is.

Speaking of demos, I just realized I've never recorded one over multiple sessions before. I just tried it to make sure I've got the process down and my demo became de-synced from the point of the save. What did I do wrong?

• prboom-plus.exe -record mydemo.lmp

• play for a bit, save the game, exit the game
  • prboom-plus.exe -loadgame prboom-plus-savegame0.dsg -record mydemo.lmp

• play for a bit more, save and exit again
  • prboom-plus.exe -playdemo mydemo.lmp

• The demo runs fine until the point of the save, and then there's a little jump and then the demo becomes de-synced. Doomguy runs into some walls and gets easily killed by enemies.

50 minutes ago, Krenium said:

Speaking of demos, I just realized I've never recorded one over multiple sessions before. I just tried it to make sure I've got the process down and my demo became de-synced from the point of the save. What did I do wrong?

• 
    prboom-plus.exe -record mydemo.lmp

• play for a bit, save the game, exit the game
  • 
    prboom-plus.exe -loadgame prboom-plus-savegame0.dsg -record mydemo.lmp

• play for a bit more, save and exit again
  • 
    prboom-plus.exe -playdemo mydemo.lmp

• The demo runs fine until the point of the save, and then there's a little jump and then the demo becomes de-synced. Doomguy runs into some walls and gets easily killed by enemies.

Trying to understand demos myself, might need a hand in there.

Maybe @Bdubzzz can help you out?

Figured it out. I was overcomplicating it. The second line should just be the same as the first. Prboom automatically continues from where you left off. That's what I get for not RTFM.

This competition seems like a lot of fun, count me in! I've personally never recorded a demo before, so now is a good time to learn. I just hope the constant stream of noobish deaths and mistakes on my part doesn't drive the judge crazy!

5 hours ago, Krenium said:

Figured it out. I was overcomplicating it. The second line should just be the same as the first. Prboom automatically continues from where you left off. That's what I get for not RTFM.

I have a batch file for Pr/GLBoom+ instead of doing command lines each time I wanna play different wads. 

Still, I'm one of those guys who prefer doing the whole run saveless if possible, even if saving the game is really tempting. That would happen in shorter wads (longer wads however, I'd still do it saveless with some rest between some maps). And I wouldn't like desyncs to happen anyway thanks to saves.....

10 hours ago, Omniarch said:

This competition seems like a lot of fun, count me in! I've personally never recorded a demo before, so now is a good time to learn. I just hope the constant stream of noobish deaths and mistakes on my part doesn't drive the judge crazy!

Welcome to the endurance! ;) Also, just in case, demo is not the only format you can use, but videos or streams are also welcome if you wish!

UPDATE

In approximately 5 hours, the first DWMaster Endurance Tournament will be released! In the meantime, I come to present you our official logo!, big applause for the guy. With this, we're pretty much good to go once the 1st hits!

Here's the final logo by @elend he did 3 cool af variations!

NrokIFe.png