Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GraphicBleeder

Thoughts on Boomer Shooter YouTubers?

People like Civvie11, Gggmanlives, IcarusLives, and MtPain27.

Out of them, I only really watch MtPain27 and Civvie11, but I'd like to know your all's thoughts on them, and if Gggman and Icarus are worth watching.

I'll fight Civvie to the death on Quake 2 being better than Doom 3 and the N64 controller being fine given its context.

Icarus makes good mod spotlight videos. I sometimes watch Big Mac Davis. 

Out of them i watch none, i used to watch icarus and gggggggggggmanlives for years but have ended up unsubscribing from both.

hmmm... now that you brought this idea up i realize that i have ended up unsubscribing from almost all gaming content on youtube... very interesting

Oh well, i guess our interests and what we find worthwhile watching change over time.

Civvie, BigMacDavis, Dwars, pagb666 is where it is for me.

I used to watch Icarus and Acquarius occasionally as well, but I have not visited their channel in ages.

They are all cool guys that I've watched plenty of. Gman has had a few uninformed takes, though.

I watch Civvie11 a lot, somehow helps me fall asleep quicker, I watch gmanlives every once in a while and beside some uninformed takes, just as Serum said, he makes good content, I haven't watched IcarusLives in a while too since lately I haven't got too much time to spend on Doom mods and that little time I can afford is usually spend towards my own mod, Dwars helped me choosing my Quake source port and we're even in the discord server of a nu-doom youtuber also I like Decino but I prefer his informative videos over gameplays.

GmanLives is the only one I watch every once in a while, I used to watch Civvie and IcarusLives aswell but I stopped watching them for like a year now.

EDIT: not sure I'd call him a 'boomer shooter youtuber' though, he does more than just boomer shooters.

Edited by sluggard

Civvie's alright, but Gman is... eh, at least he doesn't hate Invisible War. Dwars and Decino are both epic and informative, along with MtPain27, and Icarus helps me find cool gameplay mods to try out.

I'm quite fond of Civvie, even though a lot of his references soar merrily over my head. I appreciate the deadpan, cynical commentary and high production values.

MtPain27 is a gem, though. I find his high production values and eloquent scripts make for very entertaining content. Also, his voice reminds me of Steve Blum.

I occasionally watch Icarus or Gman, though I am not really familiar with the Doom modding scene, so that limits the value of their content to me. Dwars' Doom stuff can be quite informative as well, though since most of his content centers around Quake and Heretic/Hexen (neither of which I have played) there is not much for me there.

Decino is the Doomtuber I watch the most, though. I find his playthroughs both relaxing and informative, and his analysis content is also very good. He also seems to just keep getting better, both as a Doomer and as an entertainer.

I used to watch Aquarius some time ago - those dumb wads he played could be a good source of inspiration sometimes - but stopped recently. Also I really like Civvie11 for his crazy persona.

ducino and MtPain27.

Civvie gets a bit annoying with time, especially with his tendency to take Masters of Doom cringy narrative seriously.

Civvie11: Only been watching for like a year or two (Originally for the Postal2 vids). An absolute riot and I love his content. XD

BigMacDavis: A fairly chill and whitty DooMer with a helpful guide through several old FPS games.

LightningBoltForever: (Not sure if he is classed as a boomer-shooter youtuber but he did do DooM/DooM II/Wolfenstien/Quake/Duke 3D) This guy has some really hilarious moments and I'd say is a very underrated youtuber. The guy does a lot of ballsy moves and (quite often) pays dearly because of it. He's got a much more energetic tone than BMD without sounding cringy or hyperactive. He also covers other old games.

Civvie: watch and rewatch him regularly.  Love his deadpan humour.

Gman: the human equivalent of 80 grit sandpaper on your balls. Some of his early stuff was ok but he got progressively more abrasive. His unity doom video was hilarious though in just how wrong it was.

Icarus: eh, he's ok. Watch the odd video.

45 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Gmanlives: He's an insufferable douche who referred to Shadow Warrior as "The Dark Souls of FPS games", and has made jokes about people who play games on easy mode, even though he couldn't beat Opposing Force on anything higher than easy mode. Fuck him.

I agree. 

I don't really get how you mock people for playing on an easy difficulty, while sucking at the hard difficulties yourself. I just find that kind of weird.

Civvie is probably my favorite, Icarus maybe whenever he has new videos on my recommendation.

Gman however, I try to forget about him.

I just recently discovered MtPain27 and I absolutely love his videos. I've watched decino for a long time, probably since around the end of his Hell Revealed series. He makes the kind of videos I wished more gaming Youtubers did. Clear, concise, informative videos and high skilled gameplay that challenges the player. Civvie I've also watched for a while but I tend to only check him out every once in a while, the goofy voices and characters get a little grating sometimes. 

Other excellent boomer-shooter youtubers are Dwars, A1s, and sometimes Karl Jobst (mostly focuses on general speedrunning videos but frequently comes back to Doom)

Hopefully one day I can make enough good content to add myself to someone else's list. I'm working at it.

Decino, Karl Jobst and Dwars are probably my favorite Doom channels.
Civvie is a good entertainer but an awful reviewer. Better than Gman for sure but that’s not saying much.

I also have found memories of BigMacDavis, Altima Mantoid and Balames87, even if they are not as active as before.

Edited by Noiser

❤ Civvie ❤

Anyway, the reason this thread caught my eye was I watched a Minecraft WR speedrun and the runner said their friend (who did Half Life runs) told them "why did you get a YouTube partnership?" and the Minecraft runner said "because you run a boomer shooter LOL".

This was my first introduction to the term and I feel bad YouTube apparently doesn't care about them.

decino was mentioned whom I also love

BigMac I want to love but has said mean things about the Twilight series 

Can I forgive the BigMac?

Time will tell

I'm really not a boomer shooter guy, I like some older shooters, but I don't have a shrine to the build engine in my closet or anything (don't check, please). So for a channel to hook me it either has to be specifically about Doom, or be entertaining enough on its own. I'd say Civvie's channel is really unique and often funny. I really don't give a shit about Shadow Warrior or whatever he's playing that isn't Doom, but he can make that stuff entertaining, so I don't mind it. Mtpain's channel is nice because he makes detailed reviews of megawads level by level, a bit like Civvie's "Pro Doom" series, but with fan made content. I prefer this to walkthroughs, which is what you will find on Decino's channel, for the most part. Though his more technical videos that go in depth about Doom's innerworkings are very entertaining and informative.

Civvie for sure, and a good dash of decino, usually his analysis videos but sometimes I will listen to run videos or watch as a sort of guide if I want to attempt maps in a wad.

I utterly adore Civvie. He's one of my absolute favourite creators and I've watched his entire videography multiple times. He's brilliant and I love him. IcarusLives is also cool for his coverage of the latest mods to come out of the community and likewise for MtPain27's coverage of community WADs. All three of them are terrific and I'm just loving their output. Decino's videos digging deep into Doom's code and development quirks and secrets is really fascinating so it's always a joy to see those yellow thumbnails in my subscription feed. Meanwhile, Dwars is an excellent source of info for Doom sourceports and I regularly link his videos to people who've asked me about them.

I've only recently been paying attention to the speedrunning side of our community, so Karl Jobst's videos on the subject have been an terrific introduction and I also enjoy the works of Ultra-Violence and General Roasterock, the latter of which I've been in talks with regarding editing some videos for him in the not-too-distant future to increase his output. Oh and of course, our very own Doomkid who's always got a fun Doom-related video out every now and then. I guess I watch more people that are covering Doom specifically rather than the more broader sense of FPS games.

Incidentally, Gmanlives has proven himself to be an unreliable shill who's just chasing YouTube ad revenue so I really wouldn't waste my time watching his videos. 

Edited by Biodegradable

13 hours ago, hybridial said:

I'll fight Civvie to the death on Quake 2 being better than Doom 3

Same. And also on Heretic/Hexen which I consider great games. I personally watch his videos more for the entertainment factor than the actual reviewing. Still I love him.

Karl Jobst's Doom related videos are almost must see for me.

I also watch pagb666 and Decino's videos from time to time. I used to watch Gman and Icarus, but has been some time since I saw their videos.

I love and religiously watch Decino, Civvie and Karl Jobst. Only recently discovered MtPain27 but so far am loving his stuff too :-)

Daws and Gmanlives are both pretty decent decent and watch their stuff sometimes.

Never really got into IcarusLives and BigMacDavis. Their content seems pretty good but for some reason it just doesn’t pull me in like the others.

Lastly, although not technically a boomer shooter YouTuber, I used to really love and religiously watch Oxhorn (a really high quality Fallout lore YouTuber) but he’s lost me in the last year or so as he now just mostly streams random games :-(