Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GraphicBleeder

Thoughts on Boomer Shooter YouTubers?

Only Doom Youtuber I watch is Karl Jobst and he's a speedrunning guy who happens to talk about Doom frequently. 

Boomer Shooter

Sigh... Each time I hear it something in me dies from unexplainable feel of cringe. Guess it's because of all thexe "boomer", "doomer" etc. labels are make no damn sense to me. Like, at all.

To te topic: Icarus. Because mods. Because it's fine.

And Civvie, occasionaly.

Gman can go on walk to the Shrek' swamp for his "Shwacked" dead meme. Dumbest thing I ever saw\heard in last 5 years. 
I'm not implying he's not fine guy, but his humor about your mom does not help in sympathy.

4 hours ago, scalliano said:

I didn't mean factually inaccurate, moreso that I strongly disagree

There's a difference between calling someone dead wrong and disagreeing with them. You can do the latter. Calling someone dead wrong for their subjective opinion on a game is a bit much. 

Somewhere in the distance you hear someone saying: *Sip*... yep quake was a good game

Edited by sluggard

Civvie and Decino are the best.

Icarus is OK, though he clearly favors power-fantasy mods like Russian Overkill and such. The Hideous Destructor one in particular was painful to watch. It's nice to have someone giving ZDoom mods wider attention though.

Gman is a joke lmao.

Most of Dwars' stuff is OK but I can't stand the community drama videos. They really exaggerate things, it's pretty much like tabloid shit for the Doom community. Of course these are the ones that blow up too so now the Doom community's image is pretty much defined by decade-old Skulltag and ZDaemon drama and "LE NO CHIKIN XDDD".

MtPain27's videos are quite entertaining, and his script-writing and insight are good. Karl Jobst's Doom content is solid too; it shows that he actively seeks out input from Doon speedrunners. For gameplay I like Koren, who is by a good margin the best player doing commentary.

Edited by rd.

12 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Of course these are the ones that blow up too so now the Doom community's image is pretty much defined by decade-old Skulltag and ZDaemon drama and "LE NO CHIKIN XDDD".

Can second that. I wish he didn't make these videos, especially since some of those are greatly missing context that no-one actually knows (yeah I'm talking about the lilith video).

12 hours ago, sluggard said:

Somewhere in the distance you hear someone saying: *Sip*... yep quake was a good game

Can confirm, am that guy.

My favourite is Dwars.  His Heretic stuff got me to play it, and i watch his Quake and Doom videos, too.

Sometimes watch BigMacDavis, and i like Decino (am watching his Sunder run right now basically...doesn't look like a set i'm gonna play any time soon) - also like and watch a lot of Clippy.  And Gameplay and Talk's Doom stuff.  Dislike Civvie and Ggggggwhatever (him more).  pagb666 should have commentary, but before starting on Eternal Doom i watched bits of his playthrough of it.

Boomer-shooter is just a silly term that i'll never use - don't care either way if someone does.  Don't pay attention.

EDIT: Forgot to mention DavidXNewton, who's also one of my favourites.

Edited by dei_eldren

There's something about the way gggman says "SHEEIT" that's the most grating thing in the world to me.

Civvie's a fun time and I frequently find myself rewatching his videos for the entertainment value

Decino somehow always manages to make mass demon murder incredibly calming

I only recently discovered mtpain but when I did I pretty much binged all his content

is that what the name for these legendary fps titles are now?! "Boomer Shooters"!? i really hate that word, these people nowadays just throwing around the word "Boomer" to anything that is a little older than them. [*Sigh* Modern slang is so fucking stupid]

anyway..... some of my favorite "Classic FPS " youtubers would have to be Clippy, Biodegradeable, Decino, Doomkid. and i am still finding new ones.

4 minutes ago, Deathclaw886 said:

is that what the name for these legendary fps titles are now?! "Boomer Shooters"!? i really hate that word, these people nowadays just throwing around the word "Boomer" to anything that is a little older than them. [*Sigh* Modern slang is so fucking stupid]

anyway..... some of my favorite "Classic FPS " youtubers would have to be Clippy, Biodegradeable, Decino, Doomkid. and i am still finding new ones.

Can you edit the titles of posts on Doomworld? I feel like I need to do that with this one.

3 minutes ago, GraphicBleeder said:

Can you edit the titles of posts on Doomworld? I feel like I need to do that with this one.

i think you can.... may be wrong...

13 hours ago, Deathclaw886 said:

is that what the name for these legendary fps titles are now?! "Boomer Shooters"!?

I hate this too. Retro\classic shooters would be way more adequate to 90s-00s games overall.

Modern ones, that try to catch that retrofeeling? Yup, that's the word. "boomers". Because they are about to both copycat and mock past games.

13 hours ago, GraphicBleeder said:

Modern slang is so fucking stupid

Although it shows people's idiocy and their true intellect level. Which is below zero among some, as I got to see trough years.

Imagine the day when i will call Call of Duty Modern Warfare Boomer Shooter, im wainting for you, forums in 2040!

I'm seeing a lot of people who don't like the term "Boomer Shooter" saying it reminds them of "Stubborn Old People" who "hate anything new", and it's almost like.... that's the joke? That kind of mentality is very common in Retro Gaming communities in general. They act the same way about video games as Boomers do about the younger generations. 

2 hours ago, Maggle said:

I'm seeing a lot of people who don't like the term "Boomer Shooter" saying it reminds them of "Stubborn Old People" who "hate anything new", and it's almost like.... that's the joke? That kind of mentality is very common in Retro Gaming communities in general. They act the same way about video games as Boomers do about the younger generations. 

the reason i hate the word "Boomer" is because people just throw that word around to anything that is just a little bit older than them. like, come one. these games are just about 20-25 years old! i thought the term "Boomer" referred to the baby boom of 1946-1964?!

1 hour ago, Deathclaw886 said:

the reason i hate the word "Boomer" is because people just throw that word around to anything that is just a little bit older than them. like, come one. these games are just about 20-25 years old! i thought the term "Boomer" referred to the baby boom of 1946-1964?!

It's an obvious reference to the 30-Year-Old Boomer meme that's been floating around the past couple of years. 

- BigMacDavis: I discovered him almost four years ago thanks to his Half-Life walkthroughs, which really helped at the time and since then I've known most of the games like the back of my hand. Occasionally I check out his Doom videos, and I have had a bit of interest in Wolfenstein 3D lately, as repetitive as the levels seem in that game.

- decino: Obviously. Currently he is my main go-to for Doom content on YouTube. I've learned a lot from the analysis videos, and if I've already seen a gameplay video or livestream sometimes I'll have it on in the background while I'm making a map or something. I love his dedication to interacting with the community and taking on all the hard maps he can find. The man's awesome.

- MtPain27: Just recently discovered him a week or two ago and have been binge-watching his Dean of Doom series. There's a particular liking I have with his videos. Not sure if it's his commentary, the editing, the flow of the videos...or perhaps all of them. They're a lot of fun to watch...and rewatch.

Honorable mentions:

Civvie: I've seen all of his Doom reviews, as well as a couple others like HDTF (yes, that shitshow). He's very open and talkative in these videos, making a lot of jokes and giving his honest and straightforward opinions. The editing is on par, too. Where's that Linear Doom WAD, by the way?

Karl Jobst: Checked out a few of his videos, Doom-related or not. Informative and entertaining, that's all.

Icarus: A friend who got me into Doom directed me to this guy. Checked out a few of his videos. I do like his showcases and feedback on Doom mods. Of course, this channel was how I found a lot of other silly stuff like DooD and the spinning player perspective or whatever (dundidit.wad).