Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forgettable pyromaniac

why is getting opengl a pain

okay, hear me out.

I want to run ultimate doom builder on my device.

simple, right?

So I try to open a map:

1.PNG.3c294bf2b07f206d75613bf20744d230.PNG

No OpenGL suppourt. Which is fair.

So, I try to update the drivers and see if they just need updating:

2.PNG.0da3e6f8573113ac6f6155994e0a9702.PNG

Okay, a bit weird, but still fair.

So I go onto intel's site to find the most recent version...

3.PNG.4653842a44e88b30f4e5215c975e49a7.PNG

And I need to know what generation processer I have.

So, I go and check that, too:

1964193586_thisisdumb.PNG.b752e5d84d93818aefd5b82d273adee2.PNG

I looked up how to find what generation processer I have, and I believe it's a 2nd Gen.

So I click 2nd Gen...

1565131466_whatthefuck.PNG.18aa91da7d25449f1e54c4d0a18b130f.PNG

But all of these are windows 8 and below, and I'm on windows 10

so what the hell do I do???

(I thought this would go in general doom the best since it has to do with running doom builder, but I didn't think it should go in editing questions...)

Can you run the latest GZDoom build?
If you can, then you would be able to run the Builder as well.
So its kinda weird what you are experiencing :/

2 minutes ago, seed said:

There is no solution here.

Maybe GZDoomBuilder would be compatible with his hardware?

9 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Maybe, I see it requires a Pixel Shader Model of 2.0, and that integrated chipset is 4.0 compatible. I see no mention of OpenGL anywhere - https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=54957

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5 Mobile I5-460M CP80617004116AI.html#specs

He can definitely try. It's either that, or the good ol' Doom Builder. This is really no surprise though, that generation of CPUs is literally a decade old at this point, an upgrade is long overdue.

That is quite an outdated processor unfortunately. It doesn't have anything to do with your drivers. The CPU with its old integrated Intel HD graphics just isn't good enough, sorry to say. I'm assuming you have a laptop?

10 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

That is quite an outdated processor unfortunately. It doesn't have anything to do with your drivers. The CPU with its old integrated Intel HD graphics just isn't good enough, sorry to say. I'm assuming you have a laptop?

Laptop.

I was making a mapset, and I just finished Map02, so this is kinda sucky...

19 minutes ago, Thermal Lance said:

There is Doom Builder X you could use. If you are new to mapping, it should be more than enough for you.

The main issue is that I dunno if it would take my UDB mapset nicely.

27 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

I could, probably. It's similar to UDB.
Could I move my mapset from UDB to GZ or is that not a thing?

30 minutes ago, seed said:

Whatever you are currently running there, it's the best your PC can do...

... Consider upgrading in the future.

This was from a family member, kinda like a christmas gift.
even if I knew how to upgrade a laptop, I have no money to do so ._ .

14 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

its rare, i have an intel core i3-3227U x64 processor and i can run UDB normally :/

and an i3 is more old than an i5, so i dont know...

It all depends on hardware. For example i have DirectX 12 installed on my laptop, but my integrated graphics supports only up to 10.1 and OpenGL 3.1. Updating drivers won't give you something if that's not supported by hardware.

9 minutes ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

I could, probably. It's similar to UDB.

I think there is no problem, but i can't say for sure.
UDB updated a lot of problems GZDoomBuilder had, but it was the main tool of mapping of a time, so unless its a pretty new feature only available on recent GZDoom Builds, it would work perfectly.

1 minute ago, P41R47 said:

I think there is no problem, but i can't say for sure.
UDB updated a lot of problems GZDoomBuilder had, but it was the main tool of mapping of a time, so unless its a pretty new feature only available on recent GZDoom Builds, it would work perfectly.

I'm gunna make a copy of my .wad and see if I can use GZDoomBuilder.

7 minutes ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

I'm gunna make a copy of my .wad and see if I can use GZDoomBuilder.

GZDoom Builder Works. It feels a bit off, but I can live with it. Thank you! :DD

51 minutes ago, URROVA said:

its rare, i have an intel core i3-3227U x64 processor and i can run UDB normally :/

An i3-3227U is three years newer than OP's processor. The i(x) model numer isn't indicative of age, intel still manufactures i3 processors. 

i3=low end

i5=mid range

i7=higher end

I still use GZDoom Builder. Nothing wrong with using an older version of an editor. Don't feel like you always have to use the latest versions of anything, they often introduce higher system requirements for no real reason in my opinion. Hell I still use GZDoom 2.2.0!

4 hours ago, seed said:

So, your hardware is just not compatible with GZDoom and Ultimate Doom Builder, which require GL3.3 and 3.2 respectively, as a bare minimum.

No. You can still run GZDoom in SoftPoly.

3 hours ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

Absolutely. A map practically isn't bound to the original editor it was made with - anything you made with UDB, you should be able to edit with more or less equal ease in GZDB, or even some older editors. The only possible limitation would be some newer map formats which some older map editors don't support, namely UDMF, which didn't really exist at the time the original Doom Builder came about as far as I recall.

Edited by MFG38

4 hours ago, URROVA said:

You have an HD Graphics 4000, which, back in the day, was as strong as an X360. It also has DX11 and OpenGL 4.x support

OP's IronLake is DX10.1 and OpenGL 2.x. Its sorely outdated for anything modern and even as an IGP solution its pretty terrible.

44 minutes ago, AinuTheTaken said:

The question is more whether you would want to at this point with that hardware.

Yes quite... it's GZDoom after all, and SoftPoly 2 was designed mainly as a solution for non-GL3.3 compatible hardware. And also to fix the mistakes of the predecessor, which was buggy, but that is entirely beside the point.

Even if OP can indeed run it, it more than likely won't be worth it. Pro-tip: It's actually more taxing than the old Software render that GZDoom used to use once, and naturally more than that of ZDoom. A number of people complained about performance degradation back when it was first introduced.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

I still use GZDoom Builder. Nothing wrong with using an older version of an editor. Don't feel like you always have to use the latest versions of anything, they often introduce higher system requirements for no real reason in my opinion. Hell I still use GZDoom 2.2.0!

This is why I like to use Eureka. It's quite lightweight and does everything I need it to do.

2 hours ago, Krenium said:

This is why I like to use Eureka. It's quite lightweight and does everything I need it to do.

i have Eureka on my mac but i opened it once and got confused.

7 hours ago, AinuTheTaken said:

While you can do that it usually doesn't help much more than allowing you to run GZDoom at all, since the same computers that don't have OpenGL 3.3+ will also probably not be powerful enough to run GZDoom with SoftPoly at a decent framerate.

As for a map editor that you can use on a PC with only OpenGL 2.1 like mine. You should just download the last version of GZDoom Builder Bugfix from here, right now I don't think there's still that big of a gap between GZDB-BF and UDB outside of some major new additions such as visual slope handles, but I haven't really been able to test UDB too much when I have access to a PC with OpenGL 3.3+ so there's probably more major additions compared to GZDB-BF by now. 
Also obviously the more time passes the more of a gap there will be between GZDB-BF and UDB.

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Yes, the newest GZDBuilder is the bugfix fork one linked above. And I think you can use LZDoom instead of the normal GZDoom, it requires OpenGL 2.0 I think

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=62157

I use zandronum.

So out of curiousity, what version of opengl do I actually have?

I know I have it because games like Half-Life and Zandronum have opengl options that work just fine

10 minutes ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

You want people to come to your home and check your PC for you? If you have Quake, Quakespasm source port can show OpenGL version in console. Just type "gl_info", press enter and use mousewheel to scroll up to gl version line.

22 minutes ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

I know I have it because games like Half-Life and Zandronum have opengl options that work just fine

A well-known program called GPU-Z will tell you.

This is what it tells me.  If you look in the bottom right hand corner, it shows the version of OpenGL - for me it's 4.6.

13f8ee4cd8.png

Indeed, goodness grief.

That laptop is basically a rock and dead-end for anything more advanced and demanding. That's also an 8yrs old driver wtf.