Finishing The Mission (WIP)

Finishing The Mission

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Vanilla_Redux+

*Deaths: 1 (Killed by a Chaingunner)

*Saves: none

Screenshot-Doom-20201129-204156.png
Screenshot-Doom-20201129-204411.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201129-205216.png

I had found the secret on the first try, but if I'm honest, night vision goggles are really not something that is very helpful, especially since the map is not dark at all, it can be seen perfectly, and in my humble In my opinion, what it does is spoil the progress behind the blue door, and to be honest with you, it was a very bad decision to add it as a secret, since that does nothing to progress, and maybe you could have replaced it with a green vest so things were not so rough. (These screenshots are from a new gameplay that I played to prove my point.)

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20201129-213746.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201129-213820.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201129-205251.png

This map has not been much to my liking, to begin with, because it has progress that, personally, I consider it a bit bad, having very little space to fight is one of the things that I detest in Wads, and in this case is not the exception, but before that, first the visual, and here I will be brief, the map is decent in the visual aspect, there is not much that stands out in the initial room because everything has a labyrinth shape without much decoration, now in The part that follows after the blue door was to my liking, because it was about platforms that were emerging from sources of blood, but only that, everything else was just fine and that's it. Returning to the difficulty, the map is a bit unfair at the beginning, because it surprises you with two Pinkys that, between the two, fill that small space that I was talking about a few moments ago, and that means that both form a barrier that prevents the Marine from crossing, not satisfied with that, even more Pinkys come to want to bite the Marine, and the soldier with the only weapon he has, it is very difficult for him to face two initial pinkys, and to top it off, if he shoots they arrive more as reinforcement, very bad start has this wad. Apart from that, another thing that ruins the experience is the fact that there are not enough medicine cabinets to heal, and with the monsters that were placed, it is difficult not to receive an attack from one and that you stay with high health, and although there is a Berserk to "solve" that problem, the truth is that it is not very helpful if you take into account the kind of enemies that are in the entire Wad, a Revenant, quite a few Chaingunners, a Pain Elemental, the map's ammunition also hurts progress because there is hardly anything to keep the weapons loaded with, and you can hardly save some ammunition for other fights. I do not know what you think colleague, but I did not enjoy this map at all, maybe the last one did give me a little fun, but the beginning was not, and I felt a bitter taste after finishing the level due to the problems that this Wad had.

Spoiler

Oh, and as a cherry on the cake, I found it somewhat ridiculous on galactic levels the fact that the Chainsaw was already last when all the demons were dead thanks to the few bullets obtained and the berserk, making this weapon useless throughout the world. progress, maybe finding it at the beginning was something that did not bring fun?...

Screenshot-Doom-20201129-214001.png

By the way, it belongs to the same gameplay where I took screenshots of the night vision goggles

Screenshot-Doom-20201129-214019.png

100% all - No Deaths/No Saves

Edited by ElPadrecitoCholo

It's pretty bare bones, if I'm being honest. The map feels much like your other works: an unfocused hodge-podge of random texturing and flat corridors with little sense of cohesion or design. There's some height variation later, but it's a bit lame. The combat is also pretty dry and uninteresting. I feel like maybe you're biting off a bit more than you can chew with these large projects which is preventing you from really focusing on design. Rather than just farting out a lot of maps, you should really take your time to study other Doom maps and feel out a greater sense of design and what you really want out of your maps. That way you can really put the much needed time into figuring out your map's theme, layout, progression, combat, etc and make something really solid. A single, really well-made map is so much more fun to play than a batch of half-baked ones that were rushed out the door. Sometimes less is more, y'know? This will also prevent you from abandoning projects halfway through production because of the unrealistic scale you've placed upon yourself. Being new to Doom mapping is exciting stuff, I get it, but that doesn't mean you need to craft a large project in a few weeks. After all the best stuff the community has produced takes months, even years to perfect. Anyways, here's my playthrough for ya.