Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wadmodder Shalton

List of unused map things in the official DOOM IWADs.

We all know that DOOM's levels are pretty well designed to be as much detailed as possible, but there's also a few unused map things that haven't been documented as much compared to the engine quirks & bugs, an as far as I know, nobody here at Doomworld has ever discussed the unused map things in the Classic DOOM games.

These unused maps things don't have any difficulty flags set for many of these maps, and therefore go unused & won't appear in those levels.

Here a list of maps that have unused map things in the commercial DOOM IWADs which are as follows:

Ultimate DOOM

E1M3: Toxin Refinery - Two floor lamps only appear in on I'm Too Young Too Die, Hey Not Too Rough & Hurt Me Plenty, but not Ultra-Violence & Nightmare

E1M4: Command Control - Two shell pickups (Things 16 & 48)

E1M7: Computer Station - Four explosive barrels (Things 112, 113, 114 & 187) (with Things 112, 113 & 114 all stacked on top of each other)

E2M2: Containment Area - One explosive barrel (thing 174) & Four hanging legs (things 251, 252, 253, & 254)

E2M4: Deimos Lab - Two hanging torsos (Things 202 & 204)

E2M6: Halls of the Damned - One hanging leg (Thing 274)

E2M7: Spawning Vats - Two hanging legs (Things 192 & 193) & one energy cell (Thing 99)

E2M9: Fortress of Mystery - One energy cell (Thing 37)

E3M1: Hell Keep - Two hanging legs (Things 80 & 82)

E3M2: Slough of Despair - Two hanging legs (Things 184 & 185) & One pool of blood & flesh (Thing 187)

E3M3: Pandemonium - Two energy cells (Things 19 & 20)

E3M4: House of Pain - One hanging leg (Thing 283)

E3M5: Unholy Cathedral - Six hanging legs (Things 224-229)

E3M6: Mt. Erebus - Five floating skull rocks (Things 209, 214, 220, 221, & 223) & One burnt tree (Thing 229)

E3M7: Limbo - One set of 4 shotgun shells (Thing 62) & One energy cell (Thing 123)

E3M8: Dis - Nineteen rockets (Things 35-53)

E3M9: Warrens - The same Two hanging legs in Hell Keep (Things 80 & 82)

E4M3: Sever the Wicked - One plasma gun (Thing 25) the Four player starts (Things 1, 2, 3 & 24 those the engine has a special handling so they function normally) & One rocket (Thing 232)

E4M4: Unruly Evil - the Four player starts (Things 0, 1, 2 & 3, But just like E4M3, they function normally due to special handling of the engine)

E4M8: Unto The Cruel - One cacodemon (Thing 121) & the Four player starts (Things 0, 1, 2 & 7, but just like E4M3 & E4M4, They function as usual)

DOOM II Hell on Earth

MAP04: The Focus - One demon (Thing 65)

MAP06: The Crusher - Two of the Six deathmatch starts (Things 238 & 239) but both of these were fixed in the 2019-2020 Unity DOOM releases

MAP11: Circle of Death/O of Destruction - One multiplayer-only energy cell pack (Thing 236)

MAP22: The Catacombs - all Five deathmatch starts (Things 76, 77, 78, 79 & 82, But due to special handling of the engine, these function normally in the level)

MAP25: Bloodfalls - One multiplayer-only rocket launcher (Thing 63), One box of shotgun shells (Thing 113), One pool of blood (Thing 121), Three medikits (183, 184 & 185) & One BFG9000 (Thing 186)

MAP31: Wolfenstein - Five large brown trees (Things 245, 246, 247, 248 & 249, With 247 & 248 placed on top of each other)

Master Levels for DOOM II

BLOODSEA.WAD: Bloodsea Keep - One teleport landing (Thing 375) broken in I'm Too Young Too Die, Hey Not Too Rough & Hurt Me Plenty difficulties, & One deathmatch start (Thing 294, once again it functions normally due to special handling of the engine)

TEETH.WAD - MAP31: The Express Elevator to Hell - Three rockets are carelessly placed that results in the third one (Thing 150) placed outside the map

PARADOX.WAD: Paradox - One rocket launcher & some ammo with a deathmatch start, & One deathmatch start (Thing 195, Again still functions normally due to special handling of the engine)

Final DOOM TNT Evilution

MAP03: Power Control - One plasma gun isn't marked for multiplayer-only

MAP10: Redemption - Two of the three super shotguns used for deathmatch only aren't marked for multiplayer-only

MAP14: Steel Works - Three out of four shotguns used for deathmatch only aren't marked for multiplayer-only

MAP20: Central Processing - One energy cell pack (Thing 511) is located outside the map

MAP23: Lunar Mining Project - Six of the seven shotguns used only in deathmatch mode aren't tagged for multiplayer only

MAP25: Baron's Den - One box of rockets (Thing 362) is located outside the map

MAP29: River Styx - One mancubus can't teleport out into the final area of the level, except if an arch-vile respawns an enemy

MAP31: Pharaoh - The original release mistakenly marked the yellow key as multiplayer-only, as this version was used in the Doom Collector's Edition in 2001 & the DOSBox Steam release of Final DOOM in 2007. This bug is fixed in the id Anthology & GOG.com releases of Final DOOM, in addition to the DOOM Classic Complete compilation for PS3 (which sadly isn't available on PSN anymore) & probably the Unity version of TNT Evilution

Final DOOM The Plutonia Experiment

MAP09: Abattoire - One short green firestick (Thing 304) is in void space because the pillar it's inside isn't the same as the others in the starting room.

MAP12: Speed - Original version was unplayable in deathmatch due to lack of deathmatch starts, this bug was fixed in the id Anthology & GOG.com releases

MAP23: Tombstone - Original version was unplayable in deathmatch due to lack of deathmatch starts, fixed in the id Anthology & GOG.com releases

MAP30: The Gateway of Hell - A few items in the deathmatch-only area can't be obtained normally in single-player (outside of the Noclip cheat idclip)

There aren't any unused map things in No Rest for the Living originally released in 2010, so these are all I can find for right now.

What do you think about these amount of unused map content in the Classic DOOM games? Share your thoughts right here.

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton

Yeah, since they are fullbright objects, they can be used to more easily find the way back after the trap is sprung and the lights go out. Removing them on hard skills was a deliberate choice.

Of course nowadays we're all very used to navigation in first-person perspective games but when Doom came out it was still relatively novel and some people were easily disoriented.

This got me thinking about how fun it'd be to really balance difficulty using skill based things. Different teleport exists would be fun to play with as would blocking/unblocking branching paths using things.

7 hours ago, Wadmodder RiderPùdu said:

MAP31: Pharaoh - The original release mistakenly marked the yellow key as multiplayer-only, as this version was used in the Doom Collector's Edition in 2001 & the DOSBox Steam release of Final DOOM in 2007. This bug is fixed in the id Anthology & GOG.com releases of Final DOOM, in addition to the DOOM Classic Complete compilation for PS3 (which sadly isn't available on PSN anymore) & probably the Unity version of TNT Evilution

But even without the key there is still a way to complete the map, strafe run on to the right chair after the large chapel-like room with Arachnotrons and press the hidden switch within.

8 hours ago, xvertigox said:

This got me thinking about how fun it'd be to really balance difficulty using skill based things. Different teleport exists would be fun to play with as would blocking/unblocking branching paths using things.

Here is a mapping challenge I came up with years ago: Create a vanilla or boom map that has its "things" set in one way for HMP difficulty and completely another way in UV. Things for those unfamiliar to mapping include the player start, all enemies and items, teleports and even (sprite) decorations/fences and obstacles. The goal is to create two different map experiences for the two difficulties.

54 minutes ago, VGA said:

Here is a mapping challenge I came up with years ago: Create a vanilla or boom map that has its "things" set in one way for HMP difficulty and completely another way in UV. Things for those unfamiliar to mapping include the player start, all enemies and items, teleports and even (sprite) decorations/fences and obstacles. The goal is to create two different map experiences for the two difficulties.

I've had similar thoughts, that'd be quite fun. It'd be cool to do a CP with that premise, each difficulty is essentially a different map in the same slot. You could really mix things up when you start messing with keys and the progression. It'd also be fun to balance a map for UV then on HMP remove the SSG and replace it with a rocket launcher (along with all the ammo).

You could also use some UV-only voodoo doll scripting that will modify the map geometry etc.

You can also make sure that the secret exit is only reachable when playing on UV and Nightmare by putting different teleport destination in HMP and lower  :D

Or putting a Boss monster in UV and Nightmare (they activate tag 666 on death) and killing them reveals the secret exit.

Just now, VGA said:

You could also use some UV-only voodoo doll scripting that will modify the map geometry etc.

Oof, now that's a really good idea. You could do some really crazy shit. I'd love to see a proof of concept where the map is completely different on skill 1/2/3.

Yeah, you can have 0-height thin sectors around the walls of a room and when they are raised they "change" the wall texturing of the room, you can change the shape of the rooms, get rid of locked doors by 0-heighting them, raising other doors elsewhere etc. You can change the flats when raising them, too, there is a linedef action for that.

I can't think of a way to change the music in vanilla or boom, though :D

37 minutes ago, VGA said:

I can't think of a way to change the music in vanilla or boom, though :D

Well several ports including Crispy and PrBoom+ support MUSINFO, so you could use music changer things. IIRC Dimensions uses this to change the music for the final battle in MAP03, on UV only.

There was a Heretic episode posted somewhat recently where every difficulty setting had completely different things, I"m having trouble finding it now though.

It was Serpent's Wake:

Edited by plums

15 hours ago, xvertigox said:

IIRC Scythe's MAP28, "Run from it" (basically you have 30 seconds to exit the map or a crusher kills a Voodoo doll) makes the map easier by removing some torches in your way.

A speculation on why these unused map things don't appear in the Classic DOOM games was likely that id Software ran out of development time to add difficulty flags for those monsters, decorations, weapons & items.

18 minutes ago, Wadmodder RiderPùdu said:

A speculation on why these unused map things don't appear in the Classic DOOM games was likely that id Software ran out of development time to add difficulty flags for those monsters, decorations, weapons & items.

The most likely result is the author decided to remove things but wasn't 100% set on that. So they left them in, but took away the flags -- to allow these changes to be easily reverted. Then, at the end, since those vestiges ultimately have little effect, the authors didn't delete them. Or maybe they even chose to leave it in as a little historical remnant of the design process. (I have done both before.) 

I'm guessing the people who tend to classify these as bugs (which happens even with modern maps) tend not to consider intent. With modern editors, it's much harder for that to happen by accident than to be a deliberately "commented-out" feature the author left in. 

If I make another DMP map, the Wiki documentation will end up reading "bug: 60 spider masterminds in the void are not flagged for any skill setting." 

On 11/29/2020 at 2:53 PM, Wadmodder RiderPùdu said:

E1M3: Toxin Refinery - Two floor lamps only appear in on I'm Too Young Too Die, Hey Not Too Rough & Hurt Me Plenty, but not Ultra-Violence & Nightmare

This one's intentional; Romero's gone on record about it IIRC, and it was to make finding your way out harder due to the darkness - the fullbright lamposts serve as an easy guide to the way out.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:25 AM, rd. said:

I'm guessing the people who tend to classify these as bugs (which happens even with modern maps) tend not to consider intent. With modern editors, it's much harder for that to happen by accident than to be a deliberately "commented-out" feature the author left in.

It was probably the same reason people say "engine bug". Not meant 100% literally, just more succinct than Anything Even Slightly Anomalous but We Can't Read the Author's Mind nor Predict All Secondary Phenomena. The community, outside the tiny sub-subpopulation familiar with structured programming, was already using the term in that way so it reached the wiki. Such lists can and do include issues with no known ingame effects.

(It's been asserted that the shades of gray are in fact important and can be defined objectively, therefore the wiki should change. See TLDR threads here.)

Regarding maps, I personally would be fine with revising "Bugs" to something broader, or moving individual entries to a Development/Notes/Trivia section if you know their origins. Maybe no one raised these thoughts previously because, over the historical corpus, your examples are the exception -- modern tools, public documentation, beta testing. There is a lot more which is quotidian shovelware, and we certainly seem to be including it all. So it doesn't quite feel wrong to assume accident or haste, unless specific background information has surfaced.

Wanted to bump up my thread here, here is a few additional unused map content this time taken from the earlier retail versions of Doom & Doom II, and how extra things were added in.

Doom 1 specific:

E1M1: Hangar - There was originally a stimpack in the inaccessible area outside of the green armor room. This was removed in v1.2. A new lift was added next to the secret area with the shotgun in v1.2. It leads to a secret tunnel containing some armor bonuses and a box of shotgun shells.

E1M4: Command Control - A deathmatch spawn was moved from the platform with the blue armor to the floor below in v1.6. This was done to prevent a bug where the trap door could be activated from up there without activating the rising floor. If the floor is activated after the door, it will rise too high and can trap players.

E1M5: Phobos Lab - A new secret room was added in v1.2, which connects three formerly separate areas of the map together, and contains a pentagram-shaped teleporter back to the starting area of the map. This room also has a partial invisibility powerup and some health bonuses.

E1M6: Central Processing - Versions prior to 1.666 featured a shotgun guy trapped outside the boundaries of the map in difficulty 4.

E1M8: Phobos Anomaly - The extra computer area map in the star is also swapped for another shotgun pickup in v1.4.

E2M2: Containment Area - A deathmatch only plasma gun was added in v1.2.

E2M4: Deimos Lab - multiplayer goodies were added in v1.2: A rocket launcher, six medikits, three backpacks, and a supercharge.

E2M5: Command Center - The berserk powerup and cell charge near the start were given difficulty tags, previously they had none and would not appear in the level as a result. One of the dead lost soul things, which are entirely worthless since lost souls no longer leave a corpse in any release of the game, was removed in v1.2.

E2M7: Spawning Vats - The two demons behind the blue door in were moved slightly in v1.2 for some reason. A multiplayer-only rocket launcher and plasma gun were added in v1.2.

E3M3: Pandemonium - Some medikits near the cell charge pack and the supercharge powerup were flagged to appear on the easy difficulties in v1.2.

E3M6: Mt Erebus - Numerous things in this map, 49 in total, had no difficulty flags assigned to them in v1.1. These were corrected in v1.2. Most notably, two teleport destinations that were required to get out of a room were not flagged to appear in easy difficulties. Several tree and stalagmite things were swapped in v1.2.

Doom 2 Specific:

MAP01: Entryway - For whatever reason, the entire map was shifted southwest, closer to the 0, 0 coordinate, in version 1.8. As a result of this, some flats became unaligned. The map was shifted again in version 1.9 to fix the flat alignment. Things were also shifted, but not by the same amounts, meaning they have slightly different positions in relation to the map geometry in each version.

MAP02: Underhalls - Like Level 1, the entire map was shifted southwest to be closer to the 0, 0 coordinate in v1.8. And once again, some flats became unaligned, the most obvious being the secret teleporter. This was fixed in 1.9. Things were shifted too, with hilarious results as several enemies ended up stuck in the walls. These were also mostly corrected for v1.9, with the exception of a single shotgun guy who is still stuck in a barrel near the blue key.

MAP03: The Gantlet - A new secret area was added to the room with the blue armor and shotgun in v1.9. It contains a teleporter to a small room with a backpack and door to the central area.

MAP11: Circle of Death/O of Destruction - A hard difficulty Arachnotron was originally stuck in a wall in the outside section right before the first arch-vile of the game. It was finally freed in v1.9.

MAP15: Industrial Zone - A single zombieman located to the northeast of the central tower was removed from this map in v1.7.

MAP28: The Spirit World - Three deathmatch spawns were added in v1.7. The one in the scrolling spine room was moved slightly.

MAP29: The Living End - Co-op starts were added in v1.7.

I've excluded any revisional differences related to Final Doom because I've already mentioned their map content in the first post above. Just wanted to make a small update regarding the unused Doom map content.

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton

MAP02 also has a barrel in the sewer section that's most of the way into a wall, another victim of the map shifting.

That stuck shotgunner and barrel in the wall always annoyed me to an unreasonable level.. I had the common 1.666 bootleg as a kid that has the cool "jail bars" and didn't have anything stuck in the walls, so when some kind Doomer sent me 1.9 so I could play on Doom Connector, I actually thought IT was the bootleg version, since Underhalls was just a "worse" version across the board!

On 11/29/2020 at 10:24 PM, xvertigox said:

I've had similar thoughts, that'd be quite fun. It'd be cool to do a CP with that premise, each difficulty is essentially a different map in the same slot. You could really mix things up when you start messing with keys and the progression. It'd also be fun to balance a map for UV then on HMP remove the SSG and replace it with a rocket launcher (along with all the ammo).

On 11/29/2020 at 10:53 PM, VGA said:

You can also make sure that the secret exit is only reachable when playing on UV and Nightmare by putting different teleport destination in HMP and lower  :D

Or putting a Boss monster in UV and Nightmare (they activate tag 666 on death) and killing them reveals the secret exit.

A bit late of a response here, but Mutabor has three very different playstyles depending on the skill level chosen, employing (among other things) a starting teleporter with a different exit location for each skill level. The first map of Swim With The Whales and the first map of Flotsam adjust the map geometry depending on skill level to make platforming easier/harder.