Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Silhouette 03

First WAD-Techbase Torment

Screenshot_Doom_20201130_134731.png.ce40c00ac8d4aa02a29a1bafe246649c.pngThis is my first try at mapping(as well as my first post on doomworld).This map took about a month to make(even though it may not look like it as I learnt mainly through experimentation). Relatively simple techbase-styled layout, shouldn't take one more than five minutes to complete. I honestly had a lot of fun making this, though. Any advice and constructive criticism on how to improve map layouts, texture usage, etc. is much appreciated

• Name: Techbase Torment
  • Map format: Doom in Doom format
  • Ports tested: GZDoom 4.4.2
  • IWAD: Ultimate Doom,E1M1
  • Gameplay: Singleplayer
  • Difficulty settings: Yes
  • Build time: One month
  • Requirements: Jumping not required, Freelook optional though not necessary.

Screenshots

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201130_134731.png.ce40c00ac8d4aa02a29a1bafe246649c.png

Techbase torment.7z

Screenshot_Doom_20201108_202122.png

Screenshot_Doom_20201108_202122.png

Screenshot_Doom_20201130_134737.png

Hello @Clippy thank you for the video! yeah, I wanted to start with what I know best since UD's monsters are relatively simple. Apologies for the bugs such as the monster closet not opening with the trigger. Thank you for the helpful advice, though, it means a lot.  

Your map's a bit cramped, texture work is pretty wonky, combat is bog-standard and the progression is a little weird and disorientating. All that being said, it's a classic beginner map and not a terrible one at that. It's nice to try out something by a newbie that they actually spent more time on than just farting one out in an afternoon, so that's already a good sign that you want to take the time to build a good map. I highly recommend these videos by Doomkid and Joe-Ilya that give great advice for beginners. Welcome to Doomworld, man.

Edited by Biodegradable

Techbase Torment

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Vanilla_Redux+

*Deaths: 0

*Saves: none

Screenshot-Doom-20201201-225705.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201201-225818.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201201-230003.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201201-230450.png

This map has been quite simple, really short to be a special level of E1M1, but at least it makes up for it with the enemies placed on the map, visually, I don't have much to say, there are parts that I liked because of how You have added interesting details to them, like the room with several doors that leads to the red key, or the beginning and end part itself, it was really nice to have been a first attempt by Wad. Now with the difficulty, it could be said that it is a bit easy to pass the map, since, there are only imps and Hitscanners at the beginning, and at the end there are enemies that, although they show some challenge, the reality is that both using the Rocket Launcher and Any other weapon, the Marine ends up assassinating them all and then goes straight to the exit, but hey, the map was very entertaining anyway, which lasted for a long time, although to tell the truth, there were 2 more enemies that I did not achieve find nowhere, and apparently I am not the only one with this problem, since, when reviewing the Clippy and Biodegradable videos, I have noticed that they also needed 2 enemies, so, I think you should correct that problem to be able to achieve 100% in companion kills.

Read this, Please.

Spoiler

By the way, I wanted to mention this quickly, but it turns out that if you re-enter the room that has the red key a second time, and it teleports you to the other side where the Imps appeared, there is a possibility that the teleporter already it doesn't work and you get stuck there forever.

Screenshot-Doom-20201201-225921.png

Thank you for playing @ElPadrecitoCholo! I honestly have no idea where these bugs came from. I tested the map vigorously. However, thank you for the advice. I’ll try and make sure my next map is play tested by someone’s other than my self and that there are are less bugs.

2 hours ago, Silhou3tte said:

Thank you for playing @ElPadrecitoCholo! I honestly have no idea where these bugs came from. I tested the map vigorously. However, thank you for the advice. I’ll try and make sure my next map is play tested by someone’s other than my self and that there are are less bugs.

You're welcome mate, I'm glad you took my advice to help improve your next maps, and that there really aren't any more bug problems in the future.

By the way, a somewhat ridiculous question but what were those last 2 missing enemies that you had placed in your Wad, friend?

Just had a quick blast on this. Pretty fun for a first map. I liked the playing with expectations with the key/teleport lines and the exit-that-wasn't that teleported to a baron trap. Minor glitch in that last arena - there is a sky texture used on the floor I think (haven't looked in an editor) and there are monsters that don't get released behind the skull wall. I got the 88% kill as well even though I thought I got them all...

I'm an old(er) fucker and I have a soft spot for old school style maps anyway.

Keep it up though - mapping lots of fun :-)

@smeghammer I appreciate you taking time to play this. I honestly meant for this WAD to be a “test” of sorts that would enable me to gain feedback from more experienced mappers and players, though I’m very glad you got some enjoyment out of this amateurish map.