Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeroTheEro

The wait is now over for Switch users

Yup, that's a Switch port alright :P

Nah, seriously, I'll be picking this up day one. Hopefully the DLC won't be too far behind it.

I just hope that what Civvie said about it won't come true. 

For context, he said this: How in the f*ck are they gonna get this running on a switch without making it look like a PS1-era Silent Hill game?"

Source: His Doom Eternal video, at 13:46. Screenshot for reference 

image.png.16bfde10830e16246ecfb128d556c394.png

15 minutes ago, Lafuente said:

For context, he said this: How in the f*ck are they gonna get this running on a switch without making it look like a PS1-era Silent Hill game?

Corners will undoubtedly be cut. The Switch is a pretty gutless CPU. That said the engine is a marvel of optimisation, they may surprise us.

Frame-rate test and visual comparison:

Very impressive work. There's some interesting differences beyond pure visuals like the HUD and UI being closer to the edges of the screen (probably to make it more easily readable in portable mode), and letterboxing within in-engine cutscenes (my guess is to free up performance by having less to render).

Just blasted through the first 2 chapters - it's clear that more cuts were made to bring this game over to the Switch than with 2016. Motion blur is completely nixed, there are the aforementioned cinema bars during cutscenes and the draw distance, shadows, particles, gore and LoDs are paired waaaay back, to the point that I couldn't even snipe the demons in Exultia's final arena from the safety of the Mario flames because they hadn't been spawned in yet.

I do like that the HUD and subtitles have been scaled up - one of the biggest issue with 2016 Switch was that the text was nest to unreadable in toilet mode. That said, the cut to 30fps still leaves the game surprisingly responsive and I absolutely aced the first Slayer Gate before I even realised it was over. There are some noticeable frame dips, especially when the ruined city is revealed for the first time, but it mostly holds steady where it counts for so far.

I don't know if it's just me, but it feels easier so far, though judging by the lack of the Super Gore Nest Master Level I'm guessing this version is a few updates behind. Only time will tell (crosses fingers for Prowler armour fountain glitch), but so far I am suitably impressed. Panic Button have done it again.

Right, so I think I've found my first real bug - not sure if this is exclusive to the Switch version but despite several playthroughs on both PC and consoles this is the first time I've seen it. The first major outside encounter in ARC Complex doesn't clear on the Automap after you beat it, meaning you can't get the weapon point or 100% the level. I restarted the level twice after finishing it and it's pretty much stuck. Bummer.

1 hour ago, scalliano said:

The first major outside encounter in ARC Complex doesn't clear on the Automap after you beat it, meaning you can't get the weapon point or 100% the level.

The same thing happened to me, and I agree that it's the first major bug I've had in the Switch version. I was actually planning on playing through the level again to see if that issue was repeatable, so I'm glad I saw this so I don't waste my time before there's an update.

I also encountered a more cosmetic bug in that same area--around the corner, if you double jump through the air, there seems to be an occlusion error that makes almost every environmental asset stop rendering, so all you see is skybox until you're back on the ground. Doesn't really cause any issues with gameplay, though.

All in all I'm very, very impressed with the Switch version. The novelty of it is making this playthrough even more fun than it was on PC.

It's a bloody good port, all things considered. It doesn't look the prettiest, but it's all in service of maintaining the gameplay. I've encountered minimal dips below 30 during my playthrough so far (just cleared the Gladiator boss) and there's been none of the physical slowdown that affected 2016 in places. Hopefully the issues can be sorted out in a patch - it's clear from the menu that the port is running off an older update of the game and supposedly the DLC is coming, so fingers crossed.