Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Doomer Boards Projects 26, 7, 19

20 minutes ago, Antkibo said:

Not to be rude, but nobody found this "shoot-this-prop" mechanic cryptic on Romero's SIGIL. No reason for sector writing, either. Just compare how Romero introduces the mechanic there.

It's introduced in a similar manner here: both switches pressed on MAP02 and bars are still blocking the exit. Player is confused for a bit, remembers each switch lowered one of the bells and tries shooting both bells - exit unlocked.

EDIT: Additionally, if the player's using a demo compatible source-port, the last demo in the attract loop shows Doomguy shooting a bell at the end, hence revealing that possibility.

13 minutes ago, Antkibo said:

Not to be rude, but nobody found this "shoot-this-prop" mechanic cryptic on Romero's SIGIL. No reason for sector writing, either. Just compare how Romero introduces the mechanic there.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of SIGIL, but I'd agree that Romero definitely introduced the "shoot eyes" mechanic more effectively than "shoot bells" is done here.  At least map02 is small and puts the bells somewhere obvious, though - that's not a quality shared by all maps, and "find and shoot all the bells" interests me as little as any other switch hunt does.

MAP05 | bigolbilly | Feliz Navidad | Yule Probably Die

EGoW4Zx.png

Probably Die If Big Ol Billy keeps this up, he'll probably end up doing all the maps. Here we have a fantastic arena of combat that is as challenging as it is frenetic. A circular progression forces us to keep our head down and our shotgun up in front of a huge ring of demons that can destroy us in seconds. Challenging, intense and of Christmas proportions, a good gift for the bad guys.

MAP06 | bigolbilly | We Wish You A Merry Xmas | -endmap-

0B9pLdU.png

And as usual, we end up with a small credits map which is really just a ''thank you for playing'' map. Cozy.

I played this project a few months ago and it's one of my first themed WADs around Christmas. It's a fantastic example of consistency, elegance and simple fun through a few maps as varied as they are fun. Despite being only 6 maps (5 with gameplay) each one of them perfectly enhances the visual theme and creates a gameplay dynamic that can be perfectly interwoven between all of them, as a kind of Christmas sweater, a gift from the DBPs. It's one of my favorites and it's a winter adventure that is really worth playing.

Old Review:

Spoiler

Oh-oh, the sound of bells tinkles in the living room, snow falls from the sky (if you live up north) and the smell of newly made cookies hijacks all your senses. It is that time of the year again, the time of presents and a wholesome spirit! Well, actually, no. Is almost Xmas, but not quite there, yet here I am, making a review for a project that I played during summer but I can now speak properly about, because what’s December if not the best month to do anything related to Xmas? Even better, Doom Xmas! As nature of the Doomer Boards Projects, an essential themed was selected for the creation of each single map, and this time around they came up with their first ever Christmas themed project. An instantaneous classic thanks to the simple yet very effective novelty of its map theme. Winter, snow, presents, red lights, red balls, shotguns, demons, rocket launchers and anything else you might wish for Christmas. Even with a very low quantity of only 6 maps, the DBP07 is one solid and fantastical piece of mapping history that definitely deserves to be remembered in those cold, winter mornings that predate the one true Christmas eve. Doom mapper Rockstar @Big Ol Billy makes the introduction to this map by creating MAP01, the first entry and one solidly fantastical snow show. Here we also get an immediate taste of the new cool looking textures, the new skins for each spoopy demon and some of other cool-looking Xmas assets like items and other things. For MAP02, we got quite the beautifully crafted and well-knitted present by the prolific DBP contributor, @SuperCupcakeTactis. Things don’t slow down and our next contender is @Jaxxoon R, delivering the first true big-chunky map of this set; as violent and snowy as you can expect thanks to a hellish fortress that seems to be making Santa (or Satan?) have some trouble. MAP04 brings the first big combat arena and the biggest size to the table, all thanks to the efforts of @glenzinho and once again, our boy @Jaxxoon R. For the final present of this fine eve, @Big Ol Billy shows true power and violence by delivering a brutalist combat arena that does not forgive but one mistake. Big, circular, fast and really hazardous, this is quite the closer. As to when it comes to how this WAD looks, we just got to look at the early screenshots and we’ll get a pretty damn good preview as to what’s to come. Expects lots of snow and lots of hats. With as many new assets as possible while still retaining a good vanilla-ish spirit in hand, the Merry Christmassy Doom Project (that’s a long name) looks and feels as good as freshly baked cooky. Add some milk and it’s perfect for a cold, winter night. With visually beautiful yet modest-enough levels and some well-balanced layouts that offer a good non-stop progression, each and every map feels and looks like an excellent Christmas carol, if that makes sense. Anyhow. If you’re looking for something that looks even more Christmassy than the Grinch movie, look no more, here it is. The 7th DBP, despite being made under the wholesome and sweet spirit of Xmas, is no pushover when it comes to it’s gameplay and difficulty. One of the few faults of the DBPs (the early ones, that is) is the lack of a proper difficulty balance, which might be a bit detrimental when it comes to the wide range of players that the community has. Thus, this project kick ass quite well. So, while the difficulty I played with was the standard HMP, the whole map-set truly felt way above that. Since the first map we’ll notice quickly that there’s not going to be any respite for us, but things do get even harder with the latter maps. While in a way, this also some overexaggerating, I still believe that this is one tough project, even for early DBP standards, with probably one of the hardest closer-maps ever done in a Doomer Board Project. Still, despite the lack of a proper range of skill levels balancing, each map offers more than enough items, enemy positioning and level design synergy to feel properly fair and still manageable. With the exception of the last map, the rest shouldn’t take us that much time or tries. Kindly hard, to say the least. What we have here is a classic attempt to recreate the Christmas spirit in a game that is the opposite of Christmas. Shocking, I know. But, despite that, thanks to the inclusion of new assets such as textures, skins, items and others, this set of maps manages to fantastically establish a solid ground to deliver 6 great maps, which despite being a little more difficult than the average, they deliver us with enthusiasm a solid hour of pure cold winter Christmas entertainment. Hell freezes over, the party starts. A special shout to the saviors of this project (according to the DB) @Big Ol Billy and @Jaxxoon R. Two mad lads that to this day, I see their names popping up in the DBPs and think: What a time to be alive.

DBP19

map05

WTF? Doomguys estate is under siege. Exploring from the fountain and around the outside of his house, doomguy is surprised by an irate chaingunner. Next he hears noises that appear to be emanating from inside his house! Running inside to investigate and he catches a sergeant and 4 imps ransacking his library! If that isn't enough, doomguy still can't exit the front door because he hasn't yet mustered enough xmas cheer. It's outrageous! No doubt that Cyberneezer Scrooge geezer is behind all these shenanigans. At least there's a xmas card in the libary that might calm him down.

map06

Doomguy is on a map of stone and ice, starting in a cave. He makes his way out onto the ice, chewing through modest resistance from the enemy. He then has to climb some steep steps and fight his way into a small fortress.

Progression is a little trickier than we've seen before and doomguy has to look out for clues he can either see or hear in order to advance. Doomguy knows from earlier maps to keep an eye out for xmas bells, they can often be found this time of year.

The yellow key is a secret pickup. After finding it, doomguy has to backtrack all the way back to the start in order to use it to unlock the yellow door. It is well worth the trip.

The red key on the other hand is strange in that the act of picking it up automatically opens the nearby red door.

Three of the secrets yield the super shotgun, rocket launcher and plasma rifle. The yellow door secret scores the motherload: 2 backpacks, berserk pack, soulsphere and megaarmor.

On the third day of Christmas, I got from DBP:

Three glen maps,
Two hundred health,
AND A HUB MAP BY BIG OL' BILLY!

Ooohoo, lucky me!

Anyway...

MAP05 - “Christmas Eve Pt. III” by Big Ol’ Billy

The key difference here is that your house has been invaded! Obviously Cyberneezer has realised it'll take a bit more than tired Dickens references to wear down Doomguy's resolve, so why not have a few Imps in the house (plus a shotgunner) and get up a lot nearer to the windows. Y'know, really let him feel the force of the "BAH, HUMBUG!"

A nice little feature of these hub maps is the subtle evolution. The little pool of ice in the back garden, on the way to the basement/storage room has cracked open, and approaching it has a chaingunner emerge!

MAP06 - “The Pilgrim and the Hermit” by Gaspe

The first substantial map of the set is heavily inspired by eternal (the mapper) and to a lesser extent, Eternal Doom (possibly the other way around). This mostly shows through in the slightly puzzle-based progression, with switches being small, hidden or slightly obscured, and other things being remote activated, or hidden behind the kind of secret cues we've often seen by now, as seasoned players.

An earlier draft of this map had a lot of us scratching our heads when testing, as the little library room didn't have a candle in it, and whatever the hint was, it was a bit too subtle. I think I "worked it out" through blind wall-humping! That's the power of friendship play testing for you...

One thing I really like about this map is the sombre mood. The "We Three Kings" MIDI is quite quiet and downbeat, and the exterior scene has long, deep shadows cast by the moon, whilst the interiors are generally dark and brooding. Very strong showing by gaspe here on the visual front. The mixture of claustrophobic interiors and more open outdoors sections adds a great dimension to the game play, and makes the 76 monsters that the map yields on UV feel, at times, a lot more substantial than the raw numbers would indicate. The bell at the end is perhaps the first one that might trip a player up, as you play most of the map looking for other hints and tells, before remembering the mechanic the other two maps have used to gate progression. Playing continuously, this is the first map that really feels like it's getting somewhere, but from here on out size and scale do climb somewhat, as does the challenge!

Warning: no fun is had in this video, so watch only if you like the sound of me being annoyed.  I won't be playing further.

map07

Doomguy returns to his estate, only to find himself trapped in his library with only access to 2 bedrooms. Somebody has blocked his way to the rest of the house with 2 bookcases! That somebody is Cyberneezer the geezer and his hellknight and sergeant sidekicks. Sadly, doomguy picks up a xmas card near his bedside, that he hopes will cheer him up.

map08

Doomguy is surprised! He is astonished! He is amazed! He pops up out a present. He's a present for the monsters. Someone dialed up the difficulty in this city of stone. Doomguy is the center of attention. Everyone wants to party with him, wherever he goes. He's a real monster magnet.

The first thing doomguy must do is to run all over the city, raising everyones spirit until the revelry is heard throughout the city. Then, to heighten the festivities, doomguy has to find and start up 7 bells (raising the smiling cacodemon/tomato man banners) around the city in order to open most of the buildings so more revellers can join the party. There are 4 buildings with switches inside that will raise the boisterous festivities even further, with even more monsters joining the euphoria. Once all the switches have been used,  the final building with the exit opens at last. It's unfortunate, but every party must come to an end and doomguy doesn't want to stick around for the afterparty cleanup.

The maps single secret contains a megaarmor and health bonus as well as a fireplace with a cascade of santas falling down the chimney.

A note on the 7 bells. They all start still and silent. A single, well aimed pistol shot should start each bell swinging and chiming, the 7th one triggering the sectors/doors tagged 666 to open.  Subsequent shots at each bell may raise a tomato man banner but these are not necessary. These shots are subject to some autoaim problems. It helps to stand well back and shoot or go to the high ground and shoot them from there if you want tomato man to appear.

Edited by tmorrow : added note on the bells

i recorded demos for the first 7 maps of TCODC.  i don't have any screenshots for the end of map times or anything.  the most i died on any map was twice, my second death on map 8 was enough for me to quit this wad. i don't see myself playing the other two.  the textures on these maps i did play were incredibly jarring and i found myself mostly bored.  no disrespect to the mappers, it took me too long to realize i'm not the target demographic for these projects.

dbp26 tcodc demos.7z

1 hour ago, loveless said:

it took me too long to realize i'm not the target demographic for these projects.

@Capellan

Warning: no fun is had in this video, so watch only if you like the sound of me being annoyed.  I won't be playing further.

The DBPs are supposed to be pretty casual friendly (relatively fair) but that's mostly per 40oz's guidelines/vision and he had no involvement with this project. I didn't like MAP08 either since I also found it frustrating to get through. I playtested all these maps and had a lot of complaints about a few maps being frustrating to complete but not even the Christmas spirit guarantees mercy upon Santa believers or Scrooge deniers. The only maps I know that had any difficulty settings implemented are MAP18 and MAP12 (which you should totally play btw because MAP12's my collab map hehe).

I hope you can find enjoyment in the projects once again eventually. See you, space marine.

big edit: Ah crud didn't realize Loveless wasn't talking about DBP19 but some of what I said still applies

Edited by SuperCupcakeTactics : Adding Capellan's quote and additional detail.

I'm gonna iterate something about the Christmas sets from my scrooge perspective.  I played through both WADs completely.  I did not like them (I just don't like Christmas themed stuff) but one thing I did find interesting was how they made the keen bells' death state a looping animation and sound in a limit removing wad.  From a technical standpoint I found that to be a really cool addition.

From a gameplay perspective, though, hunting down all the bells in each level was...

giphy.gif

MAP04 - “Festive Neighbours” by Phobus

A map that promises much, but doesn't deliver. You spent your whole time on a balcony looking at a gorgeous area that pulls you toward it, but then that was not to be.  Track is top notch, tough.

MAP06 - “The Pilgrim and the Hermit” by Gaspe

A substantial entry, the first one in fact. If there's a driving force behind this map that would be a love for claustrophobic spaces.

There's a lot of switches and side effects you must be aware of: doors that open by walking on the opposite side or switches that reveal a monster closet behind you -- the two hell knights on the red corridor deserve an honorable mention.

This map is a great step up on difficulty, but too many cramped rooms are not for me.

MAP08 - “Surprise!” by Glenzinho

Spoiler alert: I like this map.

First, its track is "Driving Home for Christmas" and that's enough for me. Second, it's the first open map of the set and I was eager for one.

This entry has several stages -- maybe too many -- where more waves come in as you press switches or shoot bells. Some may not like the bell hunting, but it didn't felt that bad for me because the map is full of details and I wanted to spend some time to see it all. Even tomato man and Santa Claus itself appear, though the latter is far, far away.

Overall, a lovely map. You start on a wrapped box, just like the card said -- nice touch.

After playing 10 of the DBP's projects, I find most of the maps to be stunning to look at, with fair and sometimes challenging gameplay. Furthermore, progression has never been an issue, it's taken me less than a few minutes in the worst case to track down a handful of bells (which stand out more starkly than commander keens) to open exits. The DBP07/19 Xmas series are particularly outstanding in that they mix in hilarity with great presentation and gameplay and have made me laugh in the way that no other doom wad has. Fortunately there are 10-100+ thousand other wads to enjoy for those who don't like the DBP's. Personally, I'll be playing through all the DBP's and loving it every step of the way.

---

map09

Things are getting stranger and stranger at home. This time sergeants, lost souls and a revenant have shown up to play pranks on doomguy. In his bathroom, doomguy finds a red key that has mysteriously appeared in his toilet. With grim determination to get to the bottom of the matter, doomguy goes downstairs and enters his dining room, noting along the way that he is still shy the requisite xmas cheer to go outside. Swiftly taking care of the prankster revenant, he reaches for a xmas card from the past behind the yellow key.

map10

Doomguy is in the winter wonderland, a map of icy caverns, a large manor and frozen rivers surrounding an estate. The monsters adore this wonderful place, flocking to it in droves. There's no formal sign up but the prevailing vibe is "no doomguys allowed". Doomguy meets the monsters wherever he goes and they don't seem thrilled to see him. Furthermore, the monsters appear to be getting stronger and are hunting in larger packs.

The are 2 keys to be found. The ysk is required for progression while the bsk is in a secret area and is only required to pick up the secret megasphere.

Doomguy makes his way through the mansion, ostensibly for the thrill of the hunt and enjoying the several ambushes along the way, but secretly he's heard a rumor that there are 3 bells to seek out that need to be shot to raise blocking bars and unlock the exit to this wonderland (using the magic of doom's map specific tag 666). Whoever whispered that rumor forgot to warn doomguy that the 3rd bell is guarded by none other than the mighty cybie, the terror of xmas. I guess doomguy will find out eventually ...

Eventually doomguy clears out quite a bit of the mansion and finds his way into some pretty ice caves leading to the snowy outdoors and iced over river where revenants, demons and cacodemons are frolicking in great quantities, completely immersed in the spirit of xmas.

Finding a new way back inside the mansion, doomguy is greeted by an archvile and friends who warm the cockles of his heart. After some crisscrossing of rooms, and some sneakiness, doomguy can find both the yellow and blue keys.

The yellow door leads back to the starting hub for another ambush. A side room has opened and cybie, the lord of the manor appears briefly before teleporting away. After recovering from the shock surprise and with plasma rifle at the ready, doomguy races after cybie through the teleporter. He finds cybie camped at the top of some icy steps, guarding the final bell. This is cybies first appearance in the wad but by no means his last. Cybies don't just go away. In fact, cybies will grace doomguy with their presence on 6 other maps in this mapset. Just how lucky can doomguy be?! What a time to be alive.

There are 6 secrets for doomguy to uncover. Doomguys secret presents are a backpack, soulsphere, megaarmor, megasphere and bfg. Doomguy flouts tradition and does not wait for xmas before opening his presents. He has a good excuse. Those presents need to be immediately put to good use.

Pretty disappointed that some of you think these big shiny bells out in the open required "hunting down", but I won't go into that. As I'm a day late, I'll jump straight to...

On the fifth day of Christmas I got from DBP:

FIIIIIVE YELLOW KEEEEYS,
Four shells for shotgun,
Three glen maps,
Two hundred health,

Now then, on with the maps:

MAP07 - “Christmas Eve Pt. IV” by Big Ol’ Billy

Those rascally Demons have walled you in with surprisingly heavy book cases! Fortunately the spare room is open, so you can get there and check out a card from Glen...

MAP08 - “Surprise!” by Glenzinho

Driving Home For Christmas? Don't mind if I do!

Glen has a pretty distinct idea of what fun game play is, and often gets pretty passionate about how this is to be achieved when doing feedback on, and tuning up of, submitted maps for the DBPs. His own works tend to express this by way of what I call "rolling brawls", where you're often heavily armed (or at least, can be) and in an interconnected space with plenty of health and armour around... But also enemies. Triggers are often a little bit hidden, so it seems like the enemies are just dropping in and contributing to the action, rather than necessarily spawning in reaction to something, although big events also have their own reactionary forces. The end result is that you're constantly having to react to new action and continually on the defensive.

This works well for me, as even being familiar with the map, it's easy to stumble over triggers in a new order or find that efficiently targeting the known key objectives just gets more enemies for you to fight at once, meaning the game play is surprisingly adaptable to the player. Difficult can be a bit high, and being unprepared can get you in hot water surprisingly quickly (especially as the Arch-Viles drop in to some cues that, in other parts of the map, don't get anywhere near as strong a response) but there's so much health around even on UV in these setups (where difficulties are implemented) that it never feels unfair. The snowy town looks nice, and most of the bells are nice and clear from early on, with only a couple requiring you to step into a side road or alley way that's littered with pickups to see them and line up a good shot. The visual feedback with the Tomatomen when a bell is shot helps you pick the bells up more easily, although it is possible to trigger one without the other from some angles, some of the time (possibly just in ports where projectiles count as crossing lines, such as GZDoom).

The secret in this map is great, with a congested chimney in the void leading to a fun fight and a slightly early chaingun.

MAP09 - “Christmas Eve Pt. V” by Big Ol’ Billy

Now with the Christmas cheer mounting, you've got 12 enemies to fight (although five are quite easily avoided) on your way to the dining room (with a place laid), via the bathroom, where a clumsy marine left a keycard! Cyberneezer Scrooge is really up close with the Christmas cards now, and right up to the windows to try and shout you down, but he's clearly losing his edge in the Christmas cheer stakes now...

MAP10 - “Winter Wonderland” by Phobus

I made two maps I'm particularly proud of in the Cacoward 2020 period. This is one of them! (The other is Abdicate the Throne in DBP23)

Normally I try to do some pluses and minuses when I do a retrospective of my work, but I'm just really happy with how this turned out and that's the sum total of my thoughts!

Edited by Phobus

And, back for more xmas cheer! 

MAP05 : Back home, there was a chainguning bug hidden in the water, but my SSG got rid of him fast enough. Also, imps in the library. Other than that (and Cyberscrooge strolling outside), all is good. So I pick up the card and off I go into another adventure!

MAP06 : I find myself in a cave. I sing the song of my shotgun to whatever poor damned soul shows up in front of me as I make my way outside, where a big frozen lake waits. I iceskate around pinkies, a manc and a red chirstmas ball. I climb the stairs and I appear to be stuck for a while, until my superior brain power deduces I have to lower the one light I can to open up the path. After that it's moving forward, SGG singing in my hand. The path forward is not always clear but nothing that a bit of wall humping won't solve. A nice gentleman, seeing me cold, shoots flames at me, making me feel warm again, and I reply with rockets. Lot's of them. I want him to feel hot again as well. He appreciated the gesture so much he gave me a red key! Outside again, and another walking heater. The exit is now right in front of me, but I return to find the secrets. One is easy enough, so two more are missing.  A bit of wall humping discovers the yellow key and so I return to the beginning of the level where I saw a yellow door. Inside, our lord and savior Tomator has some gifts for me. And also in the starting area, a bit fo clever shooting opens up a teleporter to an SSG and that's it. 100% K/S/I, 0 deaths, 14m54s

MAP07 : Back home, my hell knight housemate is out of his room, and he blocked the path to downstairs, so I kill him and read his card.

MAP08 : I'm boxed. So I grab my sugar cane and start bashing! Eventually I get to a town square where everyone is trying to kill me but the joke is on them. I dispose of everything and still manage to find a secret fireplace. Then, I go up. More enemies, more rockets. Up again, more rockets, more targets, more fun! And death, that too. Back to the stairs, resurrected by xmas magic, I do it all again. Once it calms down, I go finding bells. After all the bells are shot, more ornaments show up and I clean them down. Now, a lot of doors opened. Each one has a switch. The first one released a bunch of enemies so I'm guessing the other ones will too.. And done.

100% all, 2 deaths, 17m32 seconds.

MAP09 : The bookshelves are still blocking the way so I have to leave through the bathroom, and worst yet, I have to pick up the red key from the toilet.. Trying to pick the yellow key takes me inside the next card..

MAP10 : Entering winter wonderland, another cave. I pass a door into a house, filled with guys that fall down as soon as I greet them with my chaingun. Walking around I reach a courtyard, kill everything, go back inside, reach another outside area where I jingle a bell and then it's back, into a newly opened path, that leads me outside to oh so many pinkies. And oh so many rockets so it balances it self out. In a cozy little room with tons of fireplaces an archville waits for me, but I get him dead in no time, climb to the second level, grab the yellow key, open that door, find a secret soulsphere, move on, press a switch, go back, find a lift. Kill the manc, expose the bell, shoot it, move back. Down the lift, into the cellar. Open a weird wall, press a switch, grab a BFG! Back to the staring cave, get rid of a few enemies, teleport into a cybercow rocket to the face. Luckily I was over 100 health and wearing an armor so I survived time enough to shower the cow with BFG blasts. And now, I could leave.. But. Secrets. I'm missing secrets! If I can find out how to lower that pillar with the blue key... So I kinda cheated and jumped... so my official secret count is 3/6 and not 5/6.. Unless I can discover how to legally open that bars. I've found another secret and another picture shows up before the bars, meaning I'm one secret away of opening them.. Oh, actually an obvious one. So it's done! 

100% K/S, 33 minutes and 44 seconds.

And that's that for today!

map11

Doomguy's home security system is a total failure, not able to combat the time freezing tricks of Cyberneezer Scrooge. Now an archvile and henchmen have shown up and have started a fire in the kitchen. Where did they learn to cook anyway? Doomguy gets there in time to put out the fire before it consumes his nearby xmas card. He wonders what else can go wrong. He really doesn't want to know.

map12

This map features heavy use of spider masterminds who finally arrive to complete the monster menagerie. There are 5 smm's and they don't need to be found, they aren't backward in coming forward and happily make their presence known. Two other maps in the mapset have a solitary smm each.

The map also features our second cybie encounter. With 5 smm's and a cybie, you might think doomguy is in for a rough time. However, if played correctly, doomguy really only has to mop up one of the 6 bosses the traditional, old school manner. The rocket launcher trap and 4 archvile trap turn out to be the more dangerous moments on the map.

Doomguy notes some unseasonal lava. Just when he had his heart set on building a snowman too. What a shame. There is plenty of ice in the caverns and outside but things are a little unstable to say the least. Things hot up too when doomguy drops down into the rocket launcher room with lava tubes in the middle and is set upon from all sides by monsters and a bunch of barrels. The enemy love placing barrels all over the map so doomguy has ample opportunities to blow himself up. Doomguy hopes to outsmart them and make those barrels backfire!

Doomguys favorite approach to exploration is to "shoot first and ask questions later" for every room that he enters. This strategy often works well but is not the best strategy to use on the first spider mastermind he meets on this map. Playing "super shotgun peekaboo" with the spider mastermind from the corridor turns out to be a waste of shell ammo. Confined to the center, it is easy for doomguy to run around the smm and continue into the tunnel beyond. Once doomguy reaches the ledge overlooking the smm room, a crusher will automatically be started up and deliver a crushing defeat.

Opening the red door to the cybie room is doomguys next step and almost a fatal one as 4 archviles rushing forth to give him a warm embrace. The cybie room is doomguys favorite room on the map. Cybie reigns supreme on a ledge, guarding a switch. That reign is short lived however, due to a nearby teleporter. We all now how much doomguy enjoys a good telefrag! The fun isn't over though. Once doomguy uses the switch to release a cacoswarm, a large crusher in the center of the room starts up too. Doomguy can play a game of "crush the cacos". Excellent fun everytime. To top it off, someone left a plasma rifle for him to find, just in time for the finale.

The finale takes place outside on the ice with 4 spider masterminds. Someone has thoughtfully placed a partial invisibility and megaarmor in the snow to make it easy for doomguy to race around and cause infighting on an epic scale and then safely stand behind one of the several pillars in the area. While he waits, doomguy likes to bet on which of the 4 smm's survives before plasma'ing him to oblivion. After saving heaps on ammo due to infighting, doomguy can afford to pull out all the big guns and use them on the stream of revenants that pour out when he uses the final 2 switches to raise the stairs to the exit.

Edited by tmorrow : fixed some spelling

On the sixth day of Christmas I got from DBP:

Supercupcaketactics,
FIIIIIVE YELLOW KEEEEYS,
Four shells for shotgun,
Three glen maps,
Two hundred health,

MAP11 - “Christmas Eve Pt. VI” by Big Ol’ Billy

This trip to the hub map finds us in a position of peril! An Arch-Vile is enacted a dastardly plan to burn one of our Christmas cards in the oven! Fortunately, his shotgun guy guards aren't enough to stop you from saving the card...

MAP12 - “The Nut After November” by SuperCupcakeTactics, glenzinho

The intermission text puts this as a pivotal moment in Doomguy's cheering, as nostalgia for the 90s is a powerful force (after all, we've all binged Friends at some point!). My issue with that is that this map is decidedly ugly. Deliberately so, but that doesn't make it look any better. There's a bit of development background as to why this shook out the way it did, but for my money it's a bad look.

Gameplay wise, this is rather overstocked (particularly if you're playing continuous) and leans towards the higher threat enemies in a bid to balance this, with a lot of Spider Masterminds, Arch-Viles and Revenants, plus a Cyberdemon and small crowds of other enemies showing their ugly faces. As a high octane thrill, the map works, as you kind of need to go in hard to make quick progress, or be very quick on your feet to get infighting going (and that won't always save you) and stay away from most of the damage. Still, Feliz Navidad!

Been a while since I've done a megawad club entry.  Jumping in for the Christmas maps.  DBP7 is up first.  All bite sized maps suitable for a quick session.  I'm going to be tackling them from scratch.  They're short enough that I feel I can get away with doing them saveless.

Map 1:  Really like the opening segment on this one.  Doomguy heads downstairs for a snack after an online session. He hears a thump from the living room and grabs his trusty shotgun before going to investigate.  Emerging from the kitchen, something has come down from the chimney.  It's no Santa though but a zombie in a Santa suit. 

Took a few tries to survive the opening eruption of violence.  Mostly because of me running into too many fireballs from the imps on the other side of the fence.  Live through it and it's mostly clear sailing from there.  Lost souls can be cheesed by running back into the house and taking potshots if so inclined.  Revenants at the end spooked me but there's an easy way to handle them if you don't panic with chaingun like I did.  2/3 secrets found; searched for several minutes before giving up.

Map 2: Easygoing with plenty of items to stay healthy and loaded as long as one doesn't do something stupid.  Crushers squished some monsters for me.  I really bungled it at the icy river taking way too much damage relative to the opposition there.  Fun barrel setup wipes a bunch of monsters for me, good times.  Invulnerability is overkill from a gameplay perspective though still a welcome sight from an aesthetic one.  As the only one in this set of maps, it wants to show it has the holiday spirit like all the other items.  Found both secrets, 12 monsters still alive when I exited.

Map 3: I think I can crack this one saveless if I give it another try even though I didn't in my playing session.  Died several times learning my way around.  Attrition is the name of the game with the monster placement and is the cause of my deaths.  Archvile got me once when I lost track of it and farthest run ended to a high damage revenant rocket at 67 health.  Didn't find any armor while making serious tries which ups the challenge though damage is generally avoidable so feels fair.

once more, into the breach.

MAP11 : Oh fuck, there's an archie in here! I am, however, pleased to discover the wooden walls are fireproof. Still not enough christmas cheer to leave the house and my room has been boarded up, so I guess I'll just pick that card in the middle of the kitchen.

MAP12 : Lava. Nothing says "christmas" as lava does : not very well but who am I to complain? Switch activated stairs lead me to a 2 part megasphere and a fall into a room where a couple dozen enemies wait for me. With my spreader of joy in hand I spread joy (I've been informed I'm spelling "bullet" wrong but I don't care). Up I go, grab a yellow key and I'm back to where I started. Opening the yellow door a rev says hi, I say hi back, clear some imps with rockets and a SMM waits for me. A couple BFG blasts after I go forward. A bit of platforming brings me to a room filled with gnomes, and I sugar cane them to death. Pick up health, flip a switch, kill an archie with rockets and grab his gift of soulsphere. Going back down a new way shows it self, tons of ammo and a red key and a drop to the red door. Which has a couple archies but I have a couple BFG blasts. And a megasphere. After, a cyberdemon. More BFG spam gets rid of him and his friends so I can press a switch that raises some stairs that don't lead all the way up : it was a trick! The actual way to the switch was the teleporter. And that opens a wall to reveal a entire tree worth of balls. Playing with the crusher and rockets it's not too hard to get rid of them and then move outside where a SMM and another and another wait (also, more balls and revs). By my accounts there are 4 SMMs, 2 of which in platforms I needed to ride to flip some switches that open the exit and release the final swarm of enemies.

So, 13m32 seconds, 100% K/S/I, some 3 deaths, all to the outside area.

MAP10 - “Winter Wonderland” by Phobus 

GORGEOUS map that uses wood, brick, stone, and ice to create beautiful Christmas landscapes. The very first room shows a great usage of cold colors with warm ones showing available paths. The detailing is also incredible, with little windows on brick walls, a stone arc near an ice lake, etc. Altogether we get distinct places like a wine cellar, a living room decorated for the holidays, a corridor full of frozen waterfalls...

These themes are used to create variation with great success. You don't get a whole zone of ice and snow and then a whole zone of brick. Instead, you get short sections of snow followed by short sections of brick, and so on.

Action-wise, it's pretty challenging. Not too hard if you go slowly, otherwise some zones are pretty brutal, like the ice lake. 

This is the strongest entry so far, and is pleasing to play and see.

MAP12 - “The Nut After November” by SuperCupcakeTactics, glenzinho

This map color palette... is odd. The starting room gives a very FIREBLU vibe with its use of strong red, blue, and green.

The action is quite hectic; you need to move quickly through cramped spaces and hordes of monsters until the end where you face against several SMMs.

Overall, quite fun, but seems more in the style of DBP07.

map13

Doomguy finds his yellow door key at last. It was in the trashcan! He's been hearing noises coming from the basement area and now he can investigate. Anyone want to guess what happens when doomguy tries to leave through the front door? Yep, insufficient xmas cheer again. Doomguy is astonished when he opens the yellow door down to the basement and peers inside. Someone has been wrapping  up huge presents down here. There the culprits are, cheeky elves caught in the act. Doomguy spies another xmas card he left down here some time back. What memories will it bring back?

map14

This is the one map doomguy has seen before his play through with DWMC. He was helping out another forum member work out why the door to the exit wasn't opening for him. See DBP19 Project Thread. Doomguy has a poor memory though so it is like playing the map all over again for the very first time.

What's xmas in Romania like? Doomguy is about to find out. He is going on an epic adventure and all the monsters are invited. Invited or not, the monsters are showing up in great quantities on this map. They have made the icy caves their home. Noone is reaching the exit alive without first hunting down the blue and red keys and also tracking down and ringing the 4 bells strewn around the map. Hard times in Romania! What a lovely map this is and full of wonderous secrets.

There are 3 keys on the map. The blue and red keys are required for progression but the yellow key is found in a secret area and is only needed for an early plasma rifle and cells pickup.

Doomguy finds his first bell and first secret within minutes of starting the level. With excitement he rushes through an ice cave toward a lodge seeking out more goodies. He finds a cave system to explore and manages to find the super secret yellow key before falling down a hole to the maps first nasty set piece.

In the first set piece, doomguy is set upon from all sides and all elevations. He is attacked by demons and chaingunners at ground level, by an archvile on a platform and by distant revenants, mancubi and arachnotrons on ledges. To top if off, there's some lost souls and cacodemons floating around. The only partly safe place from the archvile leaves him to the mercy of several enemies on a ledge across the way. Merry xmas indeed. At least doomguy can collect a rocket launcher for his corner. Doomguy needs use some clever footwork, stay on the move and continue to return fire to bring the enemy down in stages. What a mess. Finally he can explore the area and find a path through the caves and along the icy ledges, culminating in finding the blue key.

Armed with a yellow and blue key, doomguy can finally enter the lodge and find all the goodies therein, including the red key. That was easy! Doomguy is on a roll!

Doomguy opens the red door and continues the search. The exit is blocked but he has a couple of ways to go. One leads to a dead end with a plasma rifle and the 2nd bell. The other way passes the 3rd bell and drops doomguy into the second nasty set piece. Hitscanners, revenants and arachnotrons wail on poor doomguy as he makes his way crisscrossing up the icy steps toward the 4th bell tower, guarded by an archvile. There is a partial invisibility that is a most welcome pickup against the elves and chaingunners. Doomguy has to negotiate another icy cave in order to ring the 4th and final bell and find the return teleporter back to the red door, just in time for another monster ambush.

At last, doomguy can work his way to the exit. There's no stopping doomguy! Except the monsters, including a couple of archviles between him and the exit. Finding all 6 secrets has put doomguy in excellent health and spirits. What a haul!

Onwards with DBP7.  HMP pistol starts and no saves

Map 4: Opening is hectic; survive that and it's mostly a straightforward trek after that.  I bagged this one the first attempt that I survived the opening.  Red key allows for skipping part of the map at the tradeoff of the rocket launcher.  Ammo got kind of tight navigating to the exit without it.  I'm not sure what possessed me to creep towards a certain item but I twitched away from a sneak crusher so it worked out.

Even though I didn't have to, went back for the rest of the map.  The small sludge segment, I baited the caco-ornaments into attacking the far off monsters for me.  The frozen lake is the visual highlight of the map.  It is a fun looking arena in appearance but the actual encounter was more annoying.  Revenants and open space with no cover, ick.  I did get some practice luring homing missiles into walls though also used the retreat stairway a few times when getting overwhelmed.  Competent map but probably wouldn't be all that special without the Christmas graphics.

Map 5: I think I'm going to skip this one.  Arena type maps without saves aren't fun for me.  Theoretically could go back but DBP19 is beckoning and it has a more intriguing premise to hook my interest.

On the seventh day of Christmas, I got from DBP:

Seven project leaders,
Supercupcaketactics,
FIIIIIVE YELLOW KEEEEYS,
Four shells for shotgun,
Three glen maps,
Two hundred health,

We're actually up to eight project leaders now, I believe, but at the time of writing it was seven! Anyway...

MAP13 - “Christmas Eve Pt. VII” by Big Ol’ Billy

Having rescued the 90s from the oven, we've also secured a key to our own basement, where we apparently store presents for... Somebody. We also store a dead marine, some Elves, Imps and a Chaingunner. Also a card! Cyberneezer seemed to hang around the windows to the basement, obviously cursing the incompetence of his minions. At this rate Doomguy will overcome SAD and venture out into the village!

MAP14 - “Two Sizes Too Small” by Doom_RO

This is a very large map, which was a bit of an issue at the time, as DooM_RO had somewhat bitten off more than he could chew (a side effect of his personal project mapping pace, which tend to be huge single maps made slowly). I ended up helping out a bit with detailing the interior past the red key door, whilst he and glen argued (non-stop) about ammo and health balance. Again, DooM_RO's personal preference is tight ammo balance to instil a light survival-horror feel. As previously mentioned, Glen has a very specific idea as to what ingredients constitute fun. Frankly, these two are a nightmare on the Discord whenever they're working together...

Anyway, onto the map itself. It's big. It's also a bit non-linear, in that there's normally two objectives available (at the start and after the red key door), which can be hit in any order. The wintery night-time vibe, with "Do You See What I See?" going softly in the background is quite pleasant and peaceful, particularly with all of the trees and dark caves. As the map carries on, the intensity of the combat picks up, with some of the later encounters getting very tough, and often benefitting from mouse look to let the player pick off high-priority entrenched targets over the heads of the riff-raff at ground level. Ammo is plentiful, although rockets can be in short supply - particularly around the first Arch-Vile battle. Health and armour may seem overly generous early on, but you'll be scrambling back to collect it when you start taking hits, and there's always a risk of an area re-populating.

The secrets are generally pretty generous, but with only six over a ~24-minute play time, and the final megasphere one only opening up for me right at the end (a change from earlier versions, where you used to be able to press on the wall to get it), they only served to take the edge off of a few key encounters for me, and then ensure that I have an easier time tomorrow. Continuous balance is out of the window at this point, but with the difficulty escalating like it is, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The variety of encounters and relatively refined and deliberate monster placement (as opposed to the heavy health and ammo supplies) make this map an interesting challenge to unpick, but with repeated replays (and with the amount of testing this map took, I know it all too well...) large sections of the map are defanged. The strongest encounters, perhaps unsurprisingly, follow a one-way drop-in, where you have to push through enemy territory, mixing it up at close range and relying on situational cover to clear some breathing space. Both of these battles peter out into slower cave sections where you finally secure an objective, rather than ending with an arena full of corpses and a puzzle to unpick, which is nice, as the flow is basically as constant as you, the player, are comfortable with.

It's an ambitious map, and it came out pretty well in the end, but it was a lot of work to get there. I gather we're getting something of a repeat performance this year!

MAP13 : Finally I can reach the yellow key! Using it I enter the garage from outside. There was a gnome infestation but I took care of it. The xmas cheer is still too low, so I go read the card in the garage...

MAP14 : I find myself outside again. A huge structure next to me that I won't enter yet : first I'll explore around a bit. A chaingun trap, a secret blue armor and a bell on one side. On the cave, a berserk secret, and nothing more as I reach another outside area, a bit too calm for my taste. A cabin requires the blue key so I jump into another cave, chainguners from behind and a caco a flying tell em on the right path.I drop into another open space where all the monsters that I was looking for met. There's a bit of almost everything! Even a 'ville in a pilar. I drop unto them rocket after rocket until all is calm again. Of course I press a switch and the calm is gone. I still have rockets so I'm not too worried. Back into the cave, up some stairs, into a ledge. Another secret : a green armor and a soulsphere on the path to the blue key and.. Instead of saving I load back to the start of the level... Fuck. 8 minutes later.. I'm at the cabin again. This time I actually saved as I intended. 

So, into the cabin.. It's empty, but for a red key. There's also a yellow door that lead into the blocked back side side cabin.. And the yellow key is there, mocking me, so I go into the other cave and a different wall opens up, with the path to the yellow key! Now, with more cells, I return to the structure in the early map. Inside, gnomes imps and a spider guard the way up, where a switch opens up the way to a tower. I take a deep breath and press the switch, ready for a swarm of something that is guaranteed to show up. Cacos, imps, pinkies, revenants and a pair of Hell Barons. I use the cells lying around to give them the gift of plasma and ring the bell. With that done, I go back to the red and white house where a set of stairs waits. On top of them, a pair of revs and then another tower and switch. Another deep breath and *press* to release a small number of lost souls. I then follow the cave into a hole on the ground. I discover myself to be in an almost circular area, enemies all around except from where I came. I apply several doses of pest control rockets and climb, unaffraid to use up more rockets. A well placed invisibility sphere helps thin down the gnomes and move forward. A constant trickle of enemies are no match to my xmas cheer (read weapons) and then I reach the switch that will, I hope, release the final swarm. I jump into the teleport and the circle strafe, BFG in hand. Finally, the end is in sight! But before I reach it, there are still a ton of enemies..  First room dealt with, a lone archville waits. I quickly dispose of him, BFG to the face style and I'm ready to leave, except.. There's one secret left.. Ah! A megasphere. And thus do I jump into santa's sleigh! 29 minutes and 55 seconds, a couple of deaths and 100% K/S/I.

map15

At last doomguy is allowed to go outside and survey his grounds. As soon as he steps out he realises that the demons have blown a hole through the stone wall around his home and he is immediately assaulted by imps and a chaingunner. It appears that Cyberneezer Scrooge is escalating hostilities. Doomguy is shocked to discover arachnotrons stomping around his frozen pond. Worse, one mancubus has managed to climb on one of his hedges and another has appeared on the roof of one of the sheds! It looks like the monsters have got into his xmas card collection as well. There's a card atop the waterfall in the middle of the frozen lake. He knows he didn't leave it there. He better retrieve it and take it back inside.

map16

Doomguy is dazzled by the view of xmas tree mountain in the distance. Is that where all the xmas trees come from? There's lava running east and west in a deep pit below and a mighty fortress between doomguy and the base of the mountain. There is no time to dawdle though because enemies are attacking from all sides again.

After clearing the initial wave doomguy finds that there are several different ways to go. Essentially, doomguy has to find the red and blue keys and start 3 bells chiming before the exit will open. How he goes about that task though, is very much up to doomguy.

The east side has a simple hedge maze and eventually leads to the red key after a couple of archvile ambushes. There's a teleporter to the plateau below xmas tree mountain.

The west side leads to the rocket launcher and berserk pickups, both trapped and an alternate path up to the plateau that takes him through the fortress.

The blue key can be found on the west side of the plateau and is a nasty trap, especially when playing blind. When doomguy enters the area with the blue key, bars rise behind him, trapping him in. The switch near the blue key lowers the scary face to the west, revealing the 1st bell, lost souls and a red shootable switch behind them. The shootable switch lowers the bars so doomguy can extricate himself from his predicament. The problem is that doomguy has to blast through the lost souls before he has clear shot at the red switch. Meanwhile the enemy are trying to shred him.

There are 2 ways to reach the last 2 bells and initiate the final battle. The intended way is to use the acquired red and blue keys to open the two doors on the plateau at the base of xmas mountain. There is an alternate method to reach those last 2 bells.

Spoiler

Alternatively, the bells can also be reached without the keys by going back to the start of the map and running along the outside of the fence lining the west side of the red-white checkerboard bridge.

Speedy doomguys might prefer the latter path where you can ignore the red key path altogether for quick times.

The finale consists of a showdown with 3 cybies, a spider mastermind and some revenants. Doomguy will be well prepared for the confrontation if he has located the 6 secrets. They contain a computer area map, soulsphere, megaarmor, plasma rifle and cells, bfg and an invulnerability, the last 2 items make pacifying all 4 bosses easy peasy!

Edited by tmorrow

DBP19

When Phobus revealed the premise of the set, that hooked my interest.  While DBP7 comes off more as a collection of individual maps using Christmassy ressources, this one has a setup that connects things together.  Seeing as it is in a way, a trip down memory lane for Doomguy, I'm opting to play this continuous.  Which actually doesn't follow that logically from a story perspective but it's convenient for me to tour this set.

I have sampled most of the maps from scratch too before settling on HMP continuous.  Which I hear doesn't make that much difference due to difficulty setting going mostly unimplemented but eh.

Maps 1 and 2: 100% everything

Feeling restless and SAD, Doomguy goes downstairs.  Not feeling enough cheer to take a walk outside, he picks up the greeting card and relives some past adventures.

Got the little elves killed through infighting so that put me at a bit of an advantage to start out.  With how open the space is and the way it's set up, it's likely to be filled with flaming skulls even if you know exactly where the Pain Elementals will pop up.  They won't always cooperate with trying to stick to them to kill in 2 SSG shots.  I went ahead and got both barons killed by baiting infights.

Got a little stuck with what to do next and I'm not sure how long it would have lasted except I'd already read about the need to shoot bells to advance.  And when I did get around to it, I shot the first one ten times before thinking to try the other.  Kind of sad given I play with a visible kill counter and this is one time I don't pay attention to it and it would have mattered.

Maps 3 and 4: 97% kills, 0/1 secret

Still SAD but that snow in the back yard isn't going to shovel itself.  Marine training kicking in, he goes outside to attend to it while reliving another memory.

The setup for this map reminds me of a Christmas in the park display.  Except the player is on the inside of the display and the visitors are rude, carrying rifles and belching fireballs.  And even if they have been hitting the eggnog hard and have poor aim, their numbers will mean a few lucky hits.

I bait the caco into taking out a few faraway snipers before it moves to a less useful position and I off it.  This map is such a tease, showing all that area outside the display and finding out I can't reach it.  Killed everything but one monster that got stuck on a doortrack where I couldn't get a line of fire on it (nor it on me).  Of course, that led to having nothing to do but wait for the exit to open when hitting the last switch.  Didn't take as long to look for bells this time around.

On the eight day of Christmas, I got from DBP:

Eight nobles knighted,
Seven project leaders,
Supercupcaketactics,
FIIIIIVE YELLOW KEEEEYS,
Four shells for shotgun,
Three glen maps,
Two hundred health,

MAP15 - “Christmas Eve Pt. VIII” by Big Ol’ Billy

Finally, after seven cards, we've got the festivity to step out of our (generous) confines. Apparently festive cheer is a big deal, as it blew a hole in the wall outside! Props to Billy for crushing some barrels near the start to give us a sound cue. On the plus side, we now have the run of the town. On the other hand, it's all closed up for the night. Fortunately the monsters have captured a card and are defending it by the fountain...

MAP16 - “Christmas Tree Mountain” by Scrangus McBrickdad, glenzinho

As I mentioned before, Glen scratched Scrangus' back with this map (as Scrangus had for Glen in DBP07). This map presents large scale, but fortunately is relatively sparse, with a few nastier warp-in traps and a surprising number of Arch-Viles dropping in and popping out. Most of the secrets (I found 5/6) are found by dropping from a ledge to somewhere lower that you couldn't find before, which is well-integrated into the vertical nature of the map by way of teleports that lower or are revealed to coincide with this drop, thus not requiring you to run all the way back up and round to where you were. Good design, that!

There's a few choices on this map that seem to favour mouselook and high resolutions (like a distant Revenant high up in a narrow icefall early on - incidentally, icefall is a word, I've just learned!) but the vast majority of the map works comfortably in the old-school (shitty) way of playing, with most battles taking place on a relatively flat plane or with enemies on a ledge within a reasonable height of you. The Arch-Viles in the hedge section are probably the trickiest encounter when you're unfamiliar with them, whilst the final battle can be very lethal if you've not got the (easy to find) Invulnerability secret or don't know it's coming. Still, we're eight proper maps in to a 12-ish map set, or 16 maps in to a set of 25, so difficulty is meant to have climbed by now!

This is definitely a more unusual map, but I like it. It gets the 90s-style theme and massive scale on a lot better than MAP12.