Find results that contain...
Find results in...
E.M.

GAWRGURA.WAD [now on idgames!]

Spoiler

DOOM0056.png.e68847e3510bce8725617ddd1810e0bb.png

DOOM0057.png.2380b045b5358eaff93d763268df7ade.png

DOOM0058.png.c89b7b68700177c076543a3c7b67d9ea.png

Here's a short map I made on a whim. I started work on it back in September, then NaNoWadMo happened, and sometime after that I realized I still had this lying around, so I decided to finish it. The "story" is that Gawr Gura is your queen, but the demons are shrimping over her and you don't like that, so you need to kill them to win her affection. I also used this map as an excuse to play around with Plutonia textures. It's not very long compared to other standalone maps. You can beat it in less than 10 minutes, although it's still challenging.

Technical Details:

*IWAD: DOOM2

*Compatibility: Limit-removing

*Tested with: Crispy Doom and GZDoom

*Jumping not allowed

Download Link: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/gawrgura

Edited by E.M.

Not gonna lie, this was pretty fun. Nice, simple Plutonia-esque encounters, and that yellow key fight is the sort of rude that puts a smile on my face. I'd play more of these.

Something you may want to look into, I couldn't get this to run in PRBoom+ at first. I had to open the wad up and replace the TEXTURE1 lump with a version that inherits all of Doom 2's entries, as well as add in a PNAMES that does the same thing. Also, a minor complaint, the music seems a bit loud to me.

Echoing what AD said. Map is fun, there are some cool executions here,  and just enough for anyone to breeze through. And the texture problem definitely needs to be fixed.

50 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

I had to open the wad up and replace the TEXTURE1 lump with a version that inherits all of Doom 2's entries, as well as add in a PNAMES that does the same thing. Also, a minor complaint, the music seems a bit loud to me.

(referring to OP) If you don't do this, chances are some ports will still be able to run the map, except with textures missing, and thus everything looks weirder.

Here's a demonstration screenshot. I was using Eternity for this.

etrn24.png.9674ccfeffcbe37b8d15f1d54f4187a4.png

Fun little map!  Played on UV using Doom Retro and it took me about 11 minutes with 100% kills/items/secrets.  At least part of that time was me searching for a lift because of texture issues XD

The beginning with the revenants was a tiny bit annoying, though I found a good path to take after a few quickloads.  The cyberdemon was actually pretty fun IMO, but I like those sort of fights.  I ended up doing him in mostly with my SSG.

I encountered the same texture problem on Doom Retro, as you can see in the screenshots.  K8Vavoom worked fine.  Doomsday would not load the map at all.  I think the texture problems stem from TEXTURE1 not having texture definitions for the original textures defined.  Doomsday's issue is at least partially the 0-byte DEHACKED lump, but not entirely.

If there's one map-related suggestion I have, it would be to add some sort of visible ledge or fence in the area in screenshot #2.  Having it simply be impassible just feels... off.  Also maybe swap 1-2 revenants at the start for imps or something.

Also, did you imitate the sound of the waterfall with a perpetual lift?  Or was it just my imagination?

Screenshots:

Spoiler

MAP01.png.d1b36361c843fd4b5d7544675ac51aa0.png

152899616_MAP01(1).png.a6eff53975957828f333f26b0a6cebb7.png

^ This is the area I think would benefit aesthetically from a visible ledge.

771207865935200257.gif?v=1

Pretty good map, the concept could be used better though. Like the demons invading the sea or something.

On 11/30/2020 at 6:03 PM, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Echoing what AD said. Map is fun, there are some cool executions here,  and just enough for anyone to breeze through. And the texture problem definitely needs to be fixed.

(referring to OP) If you don't do this, chances are some ports will still be able to run the map, except with textures missing, and thus everything looks weirder.

Here's a demonstration screenshot. I was using Eternity for this.

etrn24.png.9674ccfeffcbe37b8d15f1d54f4187a4.png

Oh shit. I'll try to fix that.

Okay, funny story. I did as @AD_79 and replaced the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES with ones that inherited DOOM2's assets. I then opened the WAD with PRBoom+/GLBoom+ via ZDL and they crashed on startup. I was about to complain on here, but then I realized I opened the wrong file. The file I opened was the original one I uploaded here instead of the one I just modified. I was just being dumb there. Anyway, here's the fixed file. I hope it works for you all. 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/p31eq4zzrrgyw05/GAWRGURA_V02.zip/file

Did a video, as I said messages ago. The map was fun to play with some tricky ambushes, like the ambush that uses a vile to resurrect the hitscanner army. It has a simple layout but the gameplay solidifies the map and that's a big plus.

Has anyone found any other bugs or glitches? If not, I'll go ahead and upload this to idgames.

2 hours ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

I need to replay this.  It was genuinely enjoyable, and is a very nice length for a map.

I tested it with DSDA-Doom and I can assure you there are no broken textures this time.