E2 done in 22:15.

E3 done in 16:28.

Total time: 54:38.

Recorded in glboom-plus 2.5.1.5.

Demos are available here.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/827076859

Category: 3.

Difficulty: UV.

E1 done in 20:12. (rough calculation since I forgot to time my exit)

E2 done in 27:49. (" ")

E3 done in 24:55.

Total time of 72:56.

No deaths throughout the entire run.

Recorded in GZDoom v4.5 with the Doom (strict) compatibility enabled.

I also attempted the challenge part once, but died on E4M6.

I'll be curious to see how this new addition to the Doomworld "Ironman" family pans out over the next few months.

Hey, i've attempted the Challenge at Unholy Massacre with RUDE and i failed miserably. It's a very very serious challenge. I forgot about those guys in the secret in E4M1, i think i've even used the wrong iwad (Unity). I'll leave the video becouse i think it's fun to watch, is it even possible?

Spoiler

On 12/4/2020 at 11:45 AM, Beginner said:

I've recorded a thing...

Category: 3 is pretty much unavoidable for UD. Difficulty: UV

E1 done in 15:55.

E2 done in 22:15.

E3 done in 16:28.

Total time: 54:38.

Recorded in glboom-plus 2.5.1.5.

Demos are available here.

Nice run, mate! Glad you participate!

On 12/5/2020 at 4:47 PM, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/827076859

Category: 3.

Difficulty: UV.

E1 done in 20:12. (rough calculation since I forgot to time my exit)

E2 done in 27:49. (" ")

E3 done in 24:55.

Total time of 72:56.

No deaths throughout the entire run.

Recorded in GZDoom v4.5 with the Doom (strict) compatibility enabled.

I also attempted the challenge part once, but died on E4M6.

I'll be curious to see how this new addition to the Doomworld "Ironman" family pans out over the next few months.

Haha, was fun seeing you run this (and rant a lot about the secret levels thingy lol) glad you gave it a try.

As for the secret levels dilema: While yes, UD secret levels are pretty much very simple and can be useful from time to time in a speedrun, I try to establish some general rules that will not change much from WAD to WAD. Ultimate Doom is obviously an easier option, but when it comes to other WADs things change a bit.

Well, I hope that this falls into a kind of ''intermediate'', between challenge and a form of casual play. Of course, I wanted to start things off with something not too challenging and that would be welcoming to everyone, as a ''warm up'' of this new monthy event. But as the Tournament continues things will also heat up. Playing an entire megawad in one setting might be part of the endurance in the upcoming months.

Also, scores are ready.

I can give this a whirl, I love smashing through E1 in one sitting now and then as practice and I've even been trying my hand at speedrunning some of its maps, so this'll be fun. I usually don't play E3 cos I don't like it very much, but I'll play it for the good of the tournament. I need to set myself some time to be able to play through it all in one sitting though, I reckon. I'll set up my category and stuff and update this post with my gameplay footage later on, probably tomorrow or the day after if that's all right with you, Endless.

Category 3: Prepared Run

Difficulty: UV

Sourceport: GZDoom + Dead Marine (Smooth Doom's brother hehe)

E1 time:

E2 time:

E3 time:

Total time:

Edited by Biodegradable

DWMaster-Doom_TNq.zip

Category 3

UV

PrBoom 2.5.1.5

E1: 13:24

E2: 9:40

E3: 9:16

Total: 32:20

I mainly joined to revisit the classic, which i haven't since a while. I've been more than familiar with the maps. Also practiced the E2M6 Void glide beforehand so this should count as prepared run.

13 minutes ago, tourniquet said:

DWMaster-Doom_TNq.zip

Category 3

UV

PrBoom 2.5.1.5

E1: 13:24

E2: 9:40

E3: 9:16

Total: 32:20

I mainly joined to revisit the classic, which i haven't since a while. I've been more than familiar with the maps. Also practiced the E2M6 Void glide beforehand so this should count as prepared run.

Nice run Tour! Glad to see you join this :D

Your score is up.

5 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

I can give this a whirl, I love smashing through E1 in one sitting now and then as practice and I've even been trying my hand at speedrunning some of its maps, so this'll be fun. I usually don't play E3 cos I don't like it very much, but I'll play it for the good of the tournament. I need to set myself some time to be able to play through it all in one sitting though, I reckon. I'll set up my category and stuff and update this post with my gameplay footage later on, probably tomorrow or the day after if that's all right with you, Endless.

Category 3: Prepared Run

Sourceport: GZDoom + Dead Marine (Smooth Doom's brother hehe)

E1 time:

E2 time:

E3 time:

Total time:

Nice to hear that. I'll be waiting for your run ;) Also, Dead Marine looks kinda neat.

UD_.zip

Episode 1 : 34:14

Episode 2 : 46:40

Episode 3 : 53:13

Total : 2h 14m 07s

UV

Special useless rule : mouse-only (no keyboard used)

Category 3

Special comment : Moving with vertical sensivity gave me a wrist pain. :)

1 hour ago, Roofi said:

UD_.zip

Episode 1 : 34:14

Episode 2 : 46:40

Episode 3 : 53:13

Total : 2h 14m 07s

UV

Special useless rule : mouse-only (no keyboard used)

Category 3

Special comment : Moving with vertical sensivity gave me a wrist pain. :)

Mouse-only? That is another kind of special endurance! Congrats on finishing the entire run :D

Run complete!

DoomRunD_S.rar

Episode 1: 21:42

Episode 2: 36:43

Episode 3: 39:42

Total Time: 1:38:7

I'll do Episode 4 later on most likely, I have to take time to mentally prepare myself for the first two levels.

UV

Category 3

Source Port: GZDoom

33 minutes ago, Droolius_Sneezer said:

Run complete!

DoomRunD_S.rar

Episode 1: 21:42

Episode 2: 36:43

Episode 3: 39:42

Total Time: 1:38:7

I'll do Episode 4 later on most likely, I have to take time to mentally prepare myself for the first two levels.

UV

Category 3

Source Port: GZDoom

First GZDoom demo! Interesting. Don't forget to provide your exact source-port version when making demos with ZDoom relatives. Good run, your score is up!

10 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

@RoofiYou're a crazy lad.......you could have used RMB (right mouse button) to move forward too....

IMO in mouse-only scenario moving forwards/backwards using vertical sensitivity is more convenient than holding one of mouse buttons. The drawback is that you're pretty much guaranteed to move when turning in place so turning on catwalks is a nightmare, especially with high vertical sensitivity. There's also a matter of having enough buttons to bind commands to...

This is an absolutely amazing idea. I've loved speedrunning in Doom for ages, but never been able to do it due to Ultra Violence just being too hard for me!

I'm going to attempt this today I think, but just as a question, can I play different episodes with different difficulties? I know I can complete Ep1 on UV, but will definitely have to go down to HMP for Ep2, and almost certainly ITYTD for Ep3 because I *really* suck at learning new levels.

Definitely look forwards to giving this a go though :3

1 hour ago, MxCraven said:

This is an absolutely amazing idea. I've loved speedrunning in Doom for ages, but never been able to do it due to Ultra Violence just being too hard for me!

I'm going to attempt this today I think, but just as a question, can I play different episodes with different difficulties? I know I can complete Ep1 on UV, but will definitely have to go down to HMP for Ep2, and almost certainly ITYTD for Ep3 because I *really* suck at learning new levels.

Definitely look forwards to giving this a go though :3

I'll be waiting for your run ;)

Regarding your question. No, you can only play the entire thing in one single skill level. After all, it's supposed to be played continous :)

Also I would be quite annoying trying to calculate your score lol

Complete Run!
Sourceport: dsda-doom (w/ Advanced HUD)
Settings: -complevel 3 -time_all -skill 2

Category 2 (semi experienced). Really could do with a bump to first time player because I had to get the guide out for 2 levels, and almost on many more (this is my second ever playthrough of anything past Ep1 :P)
Episode 1: 9:58 (demo time)
Episode 2: 21:30 (demo time, but didn't take down the end screen time, that's the time the demo says on playback, not sure how to get in game time from a demo)

Episode 3: 29:76 (real time off speedrun timer)

That was really fun! Definitely could put in a better time, but I dislike E3M7 and the spider mastermind so much that I can't be bothered :P Overall I really don't think it was that bad. I think I broke the saves rule a few times though... Please let me off, I'm not challenging anyone! Out of interest, what's the formula you use for the times?

Twitch VoD:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/838304128 

craven-dwm-tud.zip

3 hours ago, MxCraven said:

Complete Run!
Sourceport: dsda-doom (w/ Advanced HUD)
Settings: -complevel 3 -time_all -skill 2

Category 2 (semi experienced). Really could do with a bump to first time player because I had to get the guide out for 2 levels, and almost on many more (this is my second ever playthrough of anything past Ep1 :P)
Episode 1: 9:58 (demo time)
Episode 2: 21:30 (demo time, but didn't take down the end screen time, that's the time the demo says on playback, not sure how to get in game time from a demo)

Episode 3: 29:76 (real time off speedrun timer)

That was really fun! Definitely could put in a better time, but I dislike E3M7 and the spider mastermind so much that I can't be bothered :P Overall I really don't think it was that bad. I think I broke the saves rule a few times though... Please let me off, I'm not challenging anyone! Out of interest, what's the formula you use for the times?

Twitch VoD:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/838304128 

craven-dwm-tud.zip

Welcome to the endurance. Nice to see a VOD! Was a solid run.

Out of interest, what's the formula you use for the times?

A secret formula :P But it takes into consideration your category, your skill level (the higher the better) and your total progress. Failing to follow the ''only 3 saves per map rule'' does not disqualify you, but it does penalize you. So, your run is valid and your score is up! First HNTR run too! Congrats.

4 minutes ago, Endless said:

Welcome to the endurance. Nice to see a VOD! Was a solid run.

A secret formula :P But it takes into consideration your category, your skill level (the higher the better) and your total progress. Failing to follow the ''only 3 saves per map rule'' does not disqualify you, but it does penalize you. So, your run is valid and your score is up! First HNTR run too! Congrats.

I'm sure I'll be on ITYTD next time round :P

It was fun, I might give it another go at some point before the end of the month, but until then back to Freedoom! (if that comes around for this challenge then I'm in there :P )

6 minutes ago, MxCraven said:

I'm sure I'll be on ITYTD next time round :P

It was fun, I might give it another go at some point before the end of the month, but until then back to Freedoom! (if that comes around for this challenge then I'm in there :P )

Could try Thy Flesh Consumed for some extra points... and extra pain ;)

Ok, sure. Why not. It's been a while since I revisited the Doom 1 episodes, and this is a good excuse to give them a replay. I even tried to push myself and go a bit faster, which led to some new thrills & spills. I'm happy to claim last place.

(Category 3 - UV - Crispy Doom)

hc_end_d1.zip

E1: 20:10
E2: 26:48
E3: 27:35
Total: 74:33

Edited by head_cannon

1 hour ago, head_cannon said:

Ok, sure. Why not. It's been a while since I revisited the Doom 1 episodes, and this is a good excuse to give them a replay. I even tried to push myself and go a bit faster, which led to some new thrills & spills. I'm happy to claim last place.

(Category 3 - UV - Crispy Doom)

hc_end_d1.zip

D1_UV.png.9900870d739a02908cec69f0a87a1753.png

E1: 20:10
E2: 26:48
E3: 27:35
Total: 74:33

Welcome to the endurance, mate! Had a very solid run. Your score is up ;) You can always try your luck at E4 for some extra points :D

Hello everyone...

I have been following Doomworld for a year or two. and this competition thing finally made me into registering here and enduring this with you.

And I must say that this was really fun.

GZDoom 4.5.0, UV, category 3

E1 21:27

E2 51:28

E3 55:59

Demos.7z

I started my clock when the first map started, and stopped it when I saw the intermission screen after the episode.

Probably only E1 was truly category 3, as I've played E2 and E3 something like three times total. Died a few times here and there during the latter episodes, and was getting lost at E3M6 and E3M7 a lot. I'm so used to trying to find all secrets and killing everything that it was really hard to forget trying to do that.

Category 3, UV, PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5

E1: 8:48
E2: 7:31
E3: 6:37 Total: 22:56
E4: 10:31

DWE1-Rotwang.zip

Back on the 10th I played through the original shareware in DOSBox and then checked out the new Ultra-Violence+ difficulty in the Unity port, again playing through Knee-Deep in the Dead. I thought I would try my hand at recording some movie demos; all my demos on DSDA up to now are very brief ILs. I recently switched from having vertical mouse movement on all the time to toggling it on and off and I'm still not used to it, so you get to see me bump into all the walls!

One thing I should point out: you mention not skipping the text screens in Chocolate Doom, etc. because it skips the intermission screen in PrBoom+. There's a quick way to check the intermission screen stats from the command line or batch file. Just do:

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom.wad -nodraw -nosound -timedemo ep1-848.lmp -levelstat

Doing so will print out the intermission screen stats to a file named levelstat.txt in your PrBoom+ directory. The first time listed is the exit time down to hundredths of a second and the second time in parentheses is the total time up to that point. This way you don't have to watch the demo again or fast-forward through it, etc.

5 hours ago, Qvelax said:

Hello everyone...

I have been following Doomworld for a year or two. and this competition thing finally made me into registering here and enduring this with you.

And I must say that this was really fun.

GZDoom 4.5.0, UV, category 3

E1 21:27

E2 51:28

E3 55:59

Demos.7z

I started my clock when the first map started, and stopped it when I saw the intermission screen after the episode.

Probably only E1 was truly category 3, as I've played E2 and E3 something like three times total. Died a few times here and there during the latter episodes, and was getting lost at E3M6 and E3M7 a lot. I'm so used to trying to find all secrets and killing everything that it was really hard to forget trying to do that.

Welcome to the endurers mate! Glad you had fun, pretty sure you'll love Tournament #2 then ;)

As a side note, I would really advice you to name your demos properly. Helps a lot when saving and organizing them!

4 hours ago, Rotwang said:

Category 3, UV, PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5

E1: 8:48
E2: 7:31
E3: 6:37 Total: 22:56
E4: 10:31

DWE1-Rotwang.zip

Back on the 10th I played through the original shareware in DOSBox and then checked out the new Ultra-Violence+ difficulty in the Unity port, again playing through Knee-Deep in the Dead. I thought I would try my hand at recording some movie demos; all my demos on DSDA up to now are very brief ILs. I recently switched from having vertical mouse movement on all the time to toggling it on and off and I'm still not used to it, so you get to see me bump into all the walls!

One thing I should point out: you mention not skipping the text screens in Chocolate Doom, etc. because it skips the intermission screen in PrBoom+. There's a quick way to check the intermission screen stats from the command line or batch file. Just do:

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom.wad -nodraw -nosound -timedemo ep1-848.lmp -levelstat

Doing so will print out the intermission screen stats to a file named levelstat.txt in your PrBoom+ directory. The first time listed is the exit time down to hundredths of a second and the second time in parentheses is the total time up to that point. This way you don't have to watch the demo again or fast-forward through it, etc.

Damn! That's a quick run. Congrats on both competitions and welcome to the endurance! Your score is up and quite high!

And thanks a lot for the command line, will be very useful if something like that ever happens again!

Time stamps: (lol I'm slow af)
Start: 1:00
E1: 31:26
E2: 1:24:32
E3: 2:12:54
E4: end of stream (the highlight cut off the very end but I died like 2 seconds after that lol)

Difficulty: HMP

Category 2 I think (Endless, you can confirm or not :P)
Recorded on twitch and GZDoom 4.4.2.

Made it through all of E1-E3, died E4M2.

2 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

Time stamps: (lol I'm slow af)
Start: 1:00
E1: 31:26
E2: 1:24:32
E3: 2:12:54
E4: end of stream (the highlight cut off the very end but I died like 2 seconds after that lol)

Category 2 I think (Endless, you can confirm or not :P)
Recorded on twitch and GZDoom 4.4.2.

Made it through all of E1-E3, died E4M2.

Was a fun run watching you during the first time with the Doom 2 skyboxes :P Thanks for joining the endurance! Hope you had fun :D Your score is up and indeed, category 2 sounds about right lol

Wow. OK. Doom 1. It's been awhile for some parts. Nevertheless, I thought I might do a bit better, but I'm not surprised by how I ultimately performed. All demos were recorded with PrBoom+ v. 2.5.1.4.

Knee Deep in the Dead
Category: 3
Survived in 33:49

Shores of Hell
Difficulty: HNTR
Category: 2
Survived in 1:09:54 (with a death on E2M6 due to a crusher that I forgot about and the need to reload E2M4 due to having dropped into an inescapable pit)

Inferno

Survived in 1:21:53

Total Time: 3:05:36

Thy Flesh Consumed

Dead on E4M1
Kills: 21/63

Time: 2:04

endur_pegleg_doom1.zip

I've played KDiTD a decent amount, although that still didn't stop me from getting turned around and lost in E1M7. I also went after secrets and things I didn't need. Still, I'm a relatively cautious player to begin with, so I wasn't going to set the world on fire anyway.

The last time I played TSoH was 1995, and it shows with how I wandered around several of the levels looking for what to do.

The last time I played Inferno was 2017, and before that was probably 1995 or 1996. I spent a lot of time wandering around Mt. Erebus and Limbo. In 2017, I remember wandering around Limbo until I was out of rad suits and this time, I wandered around Limbo until I was out of rad suits and almost out of health. I didn't like Limbo in 2017, I don't like Limbo now, and I probably didn't like Limbo in the 90's.

I've played Thy Flesh Consumed once before, in 2019, on ITYTD. I'm not shocked I didn't make it through the first map, and even if I had made it, I wasn't anticipating making it past the second map.

@Endless, I enjoy this competition. It's fun, and a different slant on ironmanning. I look forward to seeing what you have in store for next month.

8 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Wow. OK. Doom 1. It's been awhile for some parts. Nevertheless, I thought I might do a bit better, but I'm not surprised by how I ultimately performed. All demos were recorded with PrBoom+ v. 2.5.1.4.

Knee Deep in the Dead
Category: 3
Survived in 33:49

Shores of Hell
Survived in 1:09:54 (with a death on E2M6 due to a crusher that I forgot about and the need to reload E2M4 due to having dropped into an inescapable pit)

Inferno

Survived in 1:21:53

Total Time: 3:05:36

Thy Flesh Consumed

Dead on E4M1
Kills: 21/63

Time: 2:04

endur_pegleg_doom1.zip

I've played KDiTD a decent amount, although that still didn't stop me from getting turned around and lost in E1M7. I also went after secrets and things I didn't need. Still, I'm a relatively cautious player to begin with, so I wasn't going to set the world on fire anyway.

The last time I played TSoH was 1995, and it shows with how I wandered around several of the levels looking for what to do.

The last time I played Inferno was 2017, and before that was probably 1995 or 1996. I spent a lot of time wandering around Mt. Erebus and Limbo. In 2017, I remember wandering around Limbo until I was out of rad suits and this time, I wandered around Limbo until I was out of rad suits and almost out of health. I didn't like Limbo in 2017, I don't like Limbo now, and I probably didn't like Limbo in the 90's.

I've played Thy Flesh Consumed once before, in 2019, on ITYTD. I'm not shocked I didn't make it through the first map, and even if I had made it, I wasn't anticipating making it past the second map.

@Endless, I enjoy this competition. It's fun, and a different slant on ironmanning. I look forward to seeing what you have in store for next month.

We are on the same boat Pegleg! I haven't played the original Doom in like 6 years :P Haha, but solid run! Congrats on joining the ranks of the endurers. Your score is up, but I do have to say that you selected 3 different skill levels for your run, which makes calculations a bit tricky, but it's also part of my fault since I wasn't clear enough on the rules, but your run is more than valid, anyway!

I had to finish my run before the last map due to new year responsibilities and real life inconveniences. A pity, I think it wasn't that bad. It was pretty fun to admit, but it also reminded me how much I hate the Lost Souls.

UV

Category 2

LZDoom.

E1 and E2 survived, but gave up at E3M6 (so close, yet so far)

Total time: About 1:27:24

This is why you have to schedule your time kids!

Edited by Endless