Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

DOOM Eternal – New Master Level: Super Gore Nest - Available Now

In classic mode on Nightmare difficulty it was more challenging than whole ancient gods dlc. Really liked how they changed secrets to contain "new" weapons (gives me old doom vibes in this therm). But double marauder in toxic waste was pretty bullshit to me. Often they summoned wolf even if i didnt shot their shield, and i dont know why, but often they just didnt wont to stagger at all.

I'm a little bit disappointed :-(

I really enjoyed the first two master levels. Their pacing was different and the enemy encounters just felt right. I even enjoyed them more than Eternal itself because the encounters felt more like classic Doom.

SGN is like TAG 1 on steroids. Although TAG 1 threw a lot of heavies in an arena it was ok in UV. Except for the last fight.

SGN does the same but throws the heavies in very small rooms. That would be funny/creative if it happened once or twice (as in Cultist Base), but in SGN it happens again and again. You can only beat them by training and prepare "rock paper scissors" moves.

It's ok id Software decided to go this way, maybe I'm just too old... I enjoyed Doom 2016, Eternal and the first two master levels. TAG 1 felt repetitive and SGN just too hard.

Why not play on HMP? Because that would be ridiculously easy. But maybe HMP + classic or extra life mode is a good match? 

On 12/6/2020 at 11:18 PM, Doom-X-Machina said:

By that point I had the combat shotgun with sticky bomb mob, heavy cannon with both multi-missile and precision shot mods, a mod-less rocket launcher and the BFG 

I looked up a playthrough to see where the rocket launcher was - I didn't think they'd put a rocket launcher tucked away in a corner like that so I missed it entirely. Can't really be bothered trying the level again, oh well. 

Nightmare Classic is brutal. More so in the earlier parts of the level, you need to rely on Blood Punch, Ice Bomb, and Frag Grenades a lot. You also need to know the layout of the level to be able to find the provided weapons, they are extremely critical. You're underpowered in the first several fights, you even get to fight the fog Marauder with a shotgun / Precision Bolt. By the time you unlock the Super Shotgun, everything becomes more manageable but still challenging. The later fights aren't as tough but you still feel the impact of a reduced arsenal. Honestly, finding the Ballista at long last felt very rewarding, like reuniting with an old friend, even if I only got to use it for the final fight. The lack of weapons earlier on made me learn to use Precision Bolt as a quick-swap weapon a lot more. Classic Mode will also definitely make you appreciate Blood Punch a lot more if you haven't been using it much. Here are the weapons/mods available in the map:

Explosive Shot / Full Auto

Heavy Cannon / Precision Bolt / Micro-Missiles

Plasma Rifle / Microwave Beam

Rocket Launcher / Remote Detonation

Super Shotgun

Ballista

Chaingun / Energy Shield / Mini Turret

The Crucible

Notably, you don't have access to Lock-On Burst, any Ballista mod, or even the BFG. Unless I missed them somehow, but I looked through every secret location I'm sure. The Precision Bolt was found in a small ground-level tunnel from the first arena, Rocket Launcher is found in the secret before you enter the fog room with the Marauder, Ballista is found where the Slayer Key would be, and The Crucible was found in the water tentacle area (where the chaingun would be). The Super Shotgun is impossible to miss, it's in the main reactor when you enter it for the first time.

I like the gimmick behind Classic Mode but I think it would benefit from giving a better weapon or two earlier on to make the earlier fighting a bit more manageable. Otherwise, despite the ridiculous challenge on some fights, I enjoyed it. They should add more singleplayer modes in the future. We still don't have Arcade Mode from 2016.

---

EDIT: You can actually find all the weapon mods, which includes the Heat Blast, Lock-On Burst, Arbalest, and Destroyer Blade. Heat Blast is near the ceiling of the toxic floor Whiplash Spectre encounter, before you exit the area. Lock-On Burst is in the main Super Gore Nest arena to the very far left inside one of the pipes. Arbalest and Destroyer Blade both spawn in the main Super Gore Nest arena after you pick up the Ballista, one is left-side corner and the other is further right on the lava ground (directions based on exiting the Ballista secret).

Edited by AtimZarr1 : Learned new info

30 minutes ago, AtimZarr1 said:

Notably, you don't have access to Lock-On Burst, any Ballista mod, or even the BFG. 

There is a secret BFG in fog room with marauder.

4 hours ago, Mazze said:

I looked up a playthrough to see where the rocket launcher was - I didn't think they'd put a rocket launcher tucked away in a corner like that so I missed it entirely. Can't really be bothered trying the level again, oh well. 

Yeah, blink and you'll miss it lol

Hey is the special award that Hugo was hinting for achieving all the crazy challenges a Gold Shotgun Skin? If so, that's bloody weak. Doom isn't COD or CS - lift your game.

FINALLY beat Master Super Gore Nest, had to bump down the difficulty (normally play on UV, couldn't do it in this). 

....holy shit, I have never, in any Doom game, been so happy to find a plasma gun.....