Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soon2bGlue

Doom Ports as first Doom experience?

DOSBox. It wasn't a good experience lemme tell you. Thankfully I quickly discovered the fan-mad Doom especific source ports and started using ZDoom shortly after. Currently my main choice is LZDoom.

I got into DOOM via N64, as we were a pretty dedicated console (Nintendo) family at the time. I had watched my father play the original on PC before that, but D64 was the first one I beat. It took some time to get used to the original graphics once I got a hold of the IWADs...

EtA: I actually played D64 with a tilted controller, and all of the IWADs I played with keyboard only. I am actually rather proud of it when I look back, but I used saves. Pistol started, but with saves.

I started out on the Xbox 360 port. I remember downloading the trial which only included E1M1. I played through the trial version about twenty times. Growing up on Halo and Call of Duty I had never played levels designed like it.

15 hours ago, Navaden said:

I started out on the Xbox 360 port. I remember downloading the trial which only included E1M1. I played through the trial version about twenty times. Growing up on Halo and Call of Duty I had never played levels designed like it.

Wow, please tell me more, I can't imagine what it would be like growing up with the likes of COD then moving onto Doom, it's like growing up in backwards world to me lol which level designs do you prefer now? 

I loved the modern warfare trilogy when it was released , the linear design allows for much more scripted storytelling (which i love) although the maze like design of doom and other old school FPS are quintessential video-game to me and keep me coming back again and again. 

I often turn on doom for a quick 10min session,  can't really do that with COD. (Campaign,  i was never a multiplayer guy)  After modern warfare 3 i abandoned the series 

I didn't really have a decent PC growing up. My folks always bought Macs since it was what they used at the office and it was necessary for working at home, so my gaming was pretty much limited to consoles for my childhood. As a result, I didn't really play Doom until I was much older. My first attempt to play through it in earnest was actually with the ports that came packaged with Doom 3 BFG Edition. Wound up being an expensive way to enjoy those games, since I really didn't like Doom 3 at all, but I still had a blast with those versions of Doom and Doom 2. Eventually I did wind up making the leap to PC gaming once it became clear that the PS4 and Xbox One were both going to essentially be just weaker gaming PCs and none of their announced exclusives held any interest for me, so I started making my way back through a lot of the PC exclusives that I'd missed over the years, and that wound up leading me back to Doom.

On 12/11/2020 at 9:36 PM, Navaden said:

On 12/12/2020 at 1:39 PM, Soon2bGlue said:

Wow, please tell me more, I can't imagine what it would be like growing up with the likes of COD then moving onto Doom, it's like growing up in backwards world to me lol which level designs do you prefer now? 

I loved the modern warfare trilogy when it was released , the linear design allows for much more scripted storytelling (which i love) although the maze like design of doom and other old school FPS are quintessential video-game to me and keep me coming back again and again. 

I often turn on doom for a quick 10min session,  can't really do that with COD. (Campaign,  i was never a multiplayer guy)  After modern warfare 3 i abandoned the series 

I definitely enjoy old school level design over modern design. Newer shooters are fun to play through once or twice but the level design in older shooters encourages replaying them over and over. 

It wasn't that big of a leap as the first halo still had some old school DNA in it. Also having played a few n64 and snes games the graphics didn't bother me.

I first played vanilla Doom as a wee tot in my dad’s old PC. I was playing without monsters, which I suppose my dad thought would make it less scary but in hindsight wandering around completely alone in places full of corpses and blood and walls made of flesh wasn’t much better.

Doom freaked me out enough at that age that I didn’t play again for another 8 years or so. By then our DOS version of Doom had disappeared which means that to my undying disappointment my first experience with Doom II was with Doom 95.  The greatest service the Doom community ever did me was introducing me to source ports so I could never touch Doom 95 again.

I grew up on the SNES version and subsequently the PSX versions of Doom and Final Doom.

The playstation ports are excellent, with a great atmosphere and smooth gameplay. The SNES port is a laggy and choppy mess, but holds a deal of sentimental value for me. (especially the music.)

On 12/15/2020 at 7:26 PM, therealdrgray said:

I grew up on the SNES version and subsequently the PSX versions of Doom and Final Doom.

The playstation ports are excellent, with a great atmosphere and smooth gameplay. The SNES port is a laggy and choppy mess, but holds a deal of sentimental value for me. (especially the music.)

Is it the same as the play station music? If so i completely agree 

On 12/17/2020 at 6:07 AM, Soon2bGlue said:

Is it the same as the play station music? If so i completely agree 

No, the SNES had its own renditions of the original MIDI soundtrack. They're not bad at all; certainly a hell of a lot better than the 32x port's bleeps and farts. Still not as good as the original, but a solid effort using the SNES sound chip.

That was my old Pentium One with 8 Mb of RAM where I played DOS Doom 2. I had even two saves left from the previous owner of this PC - one from map15 and the second from the Inmost Dens. 2005, good times.