Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM Bear

What’s the go with fur suits / cosplay

I do some light cosplay because I like the fashion and wearing cotton and denim every day is boring. Walking the streets at night dressed as a school shooter with a bag full of gadgets makes me feel safer. Pedophiles wear fursuits to conventions to hide their identities and who they're looking at. Of course, I don't speak for all furries in this case. 

Now I've definitely never done convention stuff and it's been a while since I've been in those circles, but I've been around furries and am one to understand some points on why it's popular.

One reason is people like some character building, not the kind of character built from digging holes, but like creating characters, and details about em. You see any large fandom and you'll see that OCs (original characters) are a big thing people like to do. It's fun to like, just make a character and just do things with that character, especially when you can incorporate other hobbies you have in with it.

Now one other reason that particular resonates with me is the social aspect of not specifically fursuits but having some sort of persona as a stand in for yourself. Now, I've never been to any sort of these conventions before, that's partly because none around, but also because I would not want to go to some event as, well, fully me. To compress a lot down, lots of awkwardness and anxiety existing as myself around other people, and that can lead to just nowhere near as fun of a time and having to mask some expression I'd be a bit embarrassed to express, but if I have a stand-in, a lot of that becomes significantly easier. Ironically, masking meaning I'd have to mask expression less. A similar thing to just being more comfortable in online spaces, less embarrassing being something closer to myself when I don't fully gotta physically exist around others, and people like having a face and voice attached to people they know, so hell, why not just have that face be some animal person I dunno. Now I think for a lot, this point isn't as extreme. Maybe it's not full blown existential dread being around others, maybe they got a lot less anxiety to alleviate by doing this.

So that's 2 specific reasons, one overshared, on why I think it's popular. It's fun, and it makes one feel more comfortable in having that fun around others.

Well for some it's a hobby and for some it might even be a job. Cosplay is quite interesting. I'm into it from time to time myself. But it's also expensive. Very expensive to buy some coleyes lenses or wigs or some costumes. It's not so easy to do everything. Even the same makeup. First you have to invest and then have fun and probably profit. I think many have come across famous bloggers who do cosplay. That's how they attract an audience and get money for views. You can go into all this for a very long time. I personally do cosplay for fun at my leisure. Just copying my favorite characters.

Edited by Agata98

My wife has two fursuits. For her it's about escapism, in a way. She can act more freely if she's just incorporating a character and not having to worry about herself. It's a way for her to enjoy a completely worry-free moment and just be happy.

On 8/20/2021 at 3:29 AM, BaileyTW said:

lots of awkwardness and anxiety existing as myself around other people, and that can lead to just nowhere near as fun of a time and having to mask some expression I'd be a bit embarrassed to express, but if I have a stand-in, a lot of that becomes significantly easier.

I guess this spells it out better than I ever could, hah.

What I find interesting is the difference between people who have a passionate interest in it, and people for whom it is a sexual identity. For the latter, there is clearly some kind of disconnect from conventional human interaction, in favor of interactions that, at least at this time, do not and cannot exist. It reminds me of people who are into giantesses (like 50 feet or taller), aliens, mythical creatures, etc. I wonder where these kinks come from.

Some people are just huge Sonic fans. I'm more of a Mario guy myself. I like to be a Goomba and walk around town at night looking like a literal turd/angry butt plug. Attached below is my award-winning suit and a photo of myself and my giantess waifu:

TEXT%20HERE.png

genfsbkzsoannsiaugiwzbxkeogynxsfvvwaxuuw

Does furry suits have to be furry? What if you've always want to bang someone in a Xenomorph costume? Does that count?

Hypothetical question.

@Chezza I'd like to see an ED-209 cosplay. It shows up, kills everyone at the convention and then leaves, not without falling down the stairs and whining like a baby, of course.

8 hours ago, Chezza said:

Does furry suits have to be furry? What if you've always want to bang someone in a Xenomorph costume? Does that count?

Considering I've seen dragon suits before made of leather / resin, I'd be willing to wager it's completely fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mnn just wearing bunny ears as an impressionable doofus totally changes how i think about myself and talk to people... online =P too broke to suit and too timid to go to cons elsewise