Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

How to change tree graphic in slade?

I want to put a christmas tree so I thought I could replace the TRE2A0 large tree image but no dice

Is there more to it than that?

Thanks everyone

Sprites go in the sprite namespace (between S_START and S_END markers). Put your TRE2A0 in there and it'll work. (At least in ports. For vanilla it's more complex.)

6 minutes ago, Gez said:

Sprites go in the sprite namespace (between S_START and S_END markers). Put your TRE2A0 in there and it'll work. (At least in ports. For vanilla it's more complex.)

Thanks, I did simply that - trying to get it to run in GZDOOM

no dice

it's weird I can see it in the editor but not in play

image.png.847504d01119a81db7704c4a63d792a1.png

image.png.d01070fcf53cbb70ece8ebb98b9213b7.png

image.png.0d06f411006bb306851244632f9239dd.png

OK I figured it out yay!

Next question, how can I make this as it's own placable item without interupting the original one, so I can have both exist at the same time? Thanks friend

s

image.png.dbc0d9def2e1c3abe82293c34f820088.png

10 minutes ago, Clippy said:

Next question, how can I make this as its own placable item without interupting the original one, so I can have both exist at the same time? Thanks friend

The simplest for that is to create a small DECORATE lump with code like this:

Actor ChristmasTree 2512
{
	Height 100
	Radius 40
	+BLOCKING
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		XMAS A -1
		Stop
	}
}

Rename your sprite to XMASA0. There you go, at least for GZDoom and other ports that can handle simple DECORATE code (Zandronum, k8vavoom, even the ACE engine).

By the way, what are your sprite's offsets? From your screenshot SLADE seems to have assumed it had the kind of offsets that HUD sprites have, so it's a bit weird. Offsets should be horizontally about half the sprite's width, and vertically about its whole height.

crap now the tree is below the ground, how do I reposition it on the graph?? Damn it I had it earlier and lost it :(

and SLADE3 can set offsets automatically, click on a sprite, and in the preview window there is a button with 2 circles and some lines (near the offsets inputs), click on it and for a decoration you can set Automatic Offset to "Monster", then press Ok, and slade3 set the sprite offsets automatically.

thanks I put in the script in as requested and this happens

image.png.0a75bff74ba05a57f250452c6defabc8.png

So far I got the xmas tree in there but was hoping to not also have to override the original tree

Sorry about that, I wrote the code from (faulty) memory instead of checking the flag names on the wiki.

Thank you both so much for your help, I'm clearly in over my heard here and you guys seem like pros

Hopefully last question: I'm using Doom builder to edit the map itself, how to I place my christmas tree decorate item?

I dont know if DB detects decorate actors (Im using UDB), but you can put a thing anywhere, and where is the "type" input, put the DoomEdNum of the xmas tree (2512)

Captura.PNG

It should appear in the DECORATE category but you can add an editor key if you'd rather have it somewhere else. For example:

Actor ChristmasTree 2512
{
	//$Category Obstacles
	//$Title Christmas tree
	Height 100
	Radius 40
	+SOLID
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		XMAS A -1
		Stop
	}
}

That should make it appear in the listing for "Obstacles" with the name "Christmas tree" so it'll look like it was part of the game to begin with.

I got it working you guys are AMAZING thank you!

sure hope I can get new map done by xmas

Usually stick to stock resources 

Ps how did you determine 2512 is this item? How do I know what numbers to use for future items?

11 minutes ago, Clippy said:

Ps how did you determine 2512 is this item? How do I know what numbers to use for future items?

Gez just picked one when they defined the actor:

Actor ChristmasTree 2512

You can pick any number you like as long as it doesn't conflict with other numbers. Here's a list of standard thing numbers, any number not in this list is fine. If you're intending to make a map that's compatible with some gameplay mods, or that uses custom things that someone else already made, you might have to check against those thing numbers too.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Standard_editor_numbers

Spoiler

In case you didn't realize, 2512 was chosen in this case because that's numerically the 25th of December