Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Doom console ports resolution

Hello, I have been having trouble getting technical specs with regards to the resolution of the various Doom ports. In DOS Doom the total resolution is 320x200. I took a Dosbox screenshot and the HUD is 32 pixels from the bottom, so the worldview area is 320x168, correct?

Can we post similar info about the ports?

Perhaps you should have sent him a DM instead of glossing over someone else's answer? This site also has a good write up on the PSX Doom rendering process that mentions the screen resolution, although I'd imagine most people around these parts have already seen it.

3 hours ago, VGA said:

@intacowetrust What is the PSX port's resolution and how much of it is HUD?

The framebuffer/internal-resolution for all versions (even PAL) is 256x240 but it is stretched out to approximately 292x240 on display, giving the game a more 'flattened' look than the original PC version. The height of the 3D view (minus the HUD bar) is 200 pixels tall.

3 hours ago, Mattfrie1 said:

Perhaps you should have sent him a DM instead of glossing over someone else's answer? This site also has a good write up on the PSX Doom rendering process that mentions the screen resolution, although I'd imagine most people around these parts have already seen it.

Sorry if it appeared I glossed over your port, I just wanted some more solid info. I am not sending PMs because I want this thread to be reachable from search engines.

@Quasar

Can you please drop some technical info on the Jaguar port's resolution? I know it renders double-wide pixels horizontally so I expected something like a 160x200 resolution.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/238563-screen-resolution-of-jaguar-games/

Reading there a knowledgeable person said the following, is it correct?

Doom use the 175 pixels (NTSC) / 172 pixels (PAL) mode for the first 200 line then switch to 350 pixels (NTSC) / 345 pixels (PAL) mode for the last 40 lines.

This give a free 2x horizontal zoom for the first 200 lines.

That would make it 175x240 total and 175x200 for the 3D view. Also, are you still working on Calico?

On the 3DO the different sizes from highest to lowest are:

280x160

256x144

224x128

192x112

160x96

128x80

On SNES Doom the window is 216x144 but using halfres double pixels it is 108x144

The GBA also uses halfres pixels, if I remember counting the pixels, from 240x128 (32 pixels taken by the health bar) it was really 120x128

Jaguar was also doing halfres pixels, but bigger from 320x200 to 160x200

p.s. I was trying to investigate some consoles, sometimes from videos and sometimes by taking screenshot and find way to count by hand, to compare with the 3DO. The 3DO was one of the few to not use halfres on X, so it was fully per pixel. When I switch to halfres X in OptiDoom with the latest, things get quite much better. The original Doom is unfairly compared because it was in full pixel res, speed is closer to some of the other ports if you change quality settings like I do in OptiDoom 3DO.

Thank you for the info, which is the default res of the 3DO though? I know there is a cheat to increase the screen size 1 more than the default, did you include that res in the list? So would the default be 256x144?

20 hours ago, VGA said:

Sorry if it appeared I glossed over your port, I just wanted some more solid info. I am not sending PMs because I want this thread to be reachable from search engines.

That's fine I understand. Apologies for being a bit snappy.

Some further info about the Saturn port, according to the official Saturn documentation 352x240 isn't the smallest screen resolution that the Saturn outputs, which is actually 320x224. I've often wondered if the game ran in this smaller screen size if it would help to improve the framerate, even if by a small amount.

11 hours ago, Mattfrie1 said:

That's fine I understand. Apologies for being a bit snappy.

Some further info about the Saturn port, according to the official Saturn documentation 352x240 isn't the smallest screen resolution that the Saturn outputs, which is actually 320x224. I've often wondered if the game ran in this smaller screen size if it would help to improve the framerate, even if by a small amount.

To a minor degree, but in practice, no. What made it slow was Carmack insisting on doing the rendering exactly as in software to get around affine texture swim, and the Saturn couldn't do the same trick the PS1 did (lots of one-pixel polys) to cheat around it.

Saturn 3D only really ran good when you had code you could heavily multithread and made good use of both SH2 processors. Software rendering tends not to be that.

Why didn't they base the Saturn port on the 32X port instead of the PSX port? They don't even have the colored lighting ...

And Lobotomy software had already released Powerslave for the Saturn, using their Slavedriver engine. They should have been the ones handling Saturn Doom. Can you imagine?

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Why didn't they base the Saturn port on the 32X port instead of the PSX port? They don't even have the colored lighting ...

The one Jim Bagley wrote originally apparently did have all the colored lighting and stuff. Again, Carmack made him throw it out due to hating the affine texture warping that came with it. With it went the colored lighting. The LIGHTS lumps are actually still in the Saturn's JIMSDOOM.WAD.

So basically, "executive meddling."

8 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

The one Jim Bagley wrote originally apparently did have all the colored lighting and stuff.

Not quite actually, Jim has stated that he was going to directly port both The Ultimate Doom and Doom II directly from the PC. It was only when his initial vision got shot down that he went with porting the PSX version since it's assets were already shrunken down to fit in a smaller console memory environment. It is currently unknown if he wanted to (or was technically able to) include colored lighting in this port.

On 12/9/2020 at 1:49 PM, VGA said:

@Quasar

Can you please drop some technical info on the Jaguar port's resolution? I know it renders double-wide pixels horizontally so I expected something like a 160x200 resolution.

The 3D view area is effectively rendered as 160x180, with a 2x stretch horizontally. The total output is 320x224; the rest of vertical NTSC resolution available is abandoned to overscan compensation.

4 hours ago, Mattfrie1 said:

Not quite actually, Jim has stated that he was going to directly port both The Ultimate Doom and Doom II directly from the PC. It was only when his initial vision got shot down that he went with porting the PSX version since it's assets were already shrunken down to fit in a smaller console memory environment. It is currently unknown if he wanted to (or was technically able to) include colored lighting in this port.

True, though my hunch is also that he would've chopped out the LIGHTS lumps if he wasn't planning on using them. Then again, the whole thing wound up being rushed in the end due to Carmack, so it's possible he may not have had the time to do so - or simply didn't understand how lumps work in the engine (though that's unlikely).

On 12/9/2020 at 7:49 PM, VGA said:

I want this thread to be reachable from search engines.

Speaking of this, the forum is apparently losing indexed pages on Google like there is no tomorrow, at least on my end.

bing_3.png.f36952deb361e8608158fd3ff13c6ccc.pngbing_2.png.112b280747000c094f00fe4186f8146e.pngbing_1.png.f23abcca6fbb77856e54b6f8c4199713.pnggoogle_3.png.5e6d139a8b60ead4251014eea0bf352a.pnggoogle_2.png.9ef4302cb699af472308e6a9281a1a3c.pnggoogle_1.png.d5ca65a45879eae625298ec6892b880b.png

Yes, many times I have noticed in the Google results only the forum link/address shows, no "preview". Not even the thread TITLE shows, which is the most important thing. Something changed.

On 12/10/2020 at 11:41 PM, VGA said:

And Lobotomy software had already released Powerslave for the Saturn, using their Slavedriver engine. They should have been the ones handling Saturn Doom. Can you imagine?

The new (Aka released) engine of Saturn Doom is actually based on BOTH PSX Doom and 32X Doom.

20 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

What?

That "c" right there.

Also why is Dark Pulse showing as Bright Pulse in your quote wtf.

30 minutes ago, SinisterSeed said:

Also why is Dark Pulse showing as Bright Pulse in your quote wtf.

A magic spell invoked through the F12 key.

semilla.png.c4d463022eed3af7ccfcbd8a84cf506d.png

6 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

A magic spell invoked through the F12 key.

Well, now that is unexpected.

You misspelled my name though, it's only lowercase "s" :p.